Problems with roadsmart tires

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
With the ST, I would say you would benefit from the GT or A spec version of certain tires, which are made for heavier bikes. Basically, these have stiffer side walls and keep the heat build-up down, thus should wear a little longer. Bridgestones are stiffer sidewalls by nature and have tread compounds that grip well... and if you are a twisty rider or ride in the wet, you want grip over longevity.. and we all want value for our money... there are compromises.
From previous experience with Dunlop RS and RS2, the problems they had turned me right off Dunlops. But the RS3 seems to have fixed all that but have compounds that are still a bit harder than most... as were the Michelin PR2's.... which is why I say a warm weather tire, careful in the wet. For me, although they were good, lasted well, I prefer something a little grippier in the cool and wet.
Continentals will grip well but won't last as long, similar to Pirelli Angels. Bridgestone T31's a good all around tire, as is the Michelin PR4 (my benchmark tire for grip/handling, a little expensive). Basically, you have to try a tire, perhaps don't have to have the same brand front to rear (e.g., I'm not a fan of the PR4 front). Longevity has a lot to do with how you ride, and your right wrist. Most who get great mileage out of tires are more touring riders.
Honda recommends 42/42 psi, but I'd consider those a minimum on an ST if you want more even wear and a tad more longevity. Good suspension set up helps too.
Anybody tried the Shinko Ravens? I have a set on my 530 lb Honda, they came with it, seem very good and priced very well... dunno how they fare on an ST.

OP
OP
cstuart1597

cstuart1597

cSTuart1597
Bike
ST 1300
Hey there Al st1100,that was an interesting article on bias vs radial tires.Personaly I like the idea of heat dissipation and smother a ride.The roads around here get pretty hot.The Dunlop R3 will carry the but it is not as durable as it is marketed to be.I commute mostly on this bike across country hard surface roads that have reasonable curves in then.A round trip for me daily is aprox. 64 miles.There are roads not too far from here that you will meet the rearend of your bike in the switchbacks,LOL.The State Highway Patrol ride some pretty hot bikes up and down those roads to catch some of the sidepipe draggers.You asked what I have rode as well.This has been my adventure,so far;1979 Honda XL250 {in the Cannal Zone,Panama },1973 Honda XL360,1979 Honda 750K- 8in chopped.,1982 Honda CB900C{iron butt bike},1985 Honda V45{nice 360 degree torque band},2008 Harley Electraglide Classic,and this 08 ST1300{love the 360 degree torque band}.I presume this will be my final adventure cycle ride,unless of couse something changes,LOL.Back to the tire subject,I should have went with the Michelin tire when I purchased these but I was trying to save a couple of bucks.How'd that work out for me?:(

Bike
R1200rt
Hey there Al st1100,that was an interesting article on bias vs radial tires.Personaly I like the idea of heat dissipation and smother a ride.The roads around here get pretty hot.The Dunlop R3 will carry the but it is not as durable as it is marketed to be.I commute mostly on this bike across country hard surface roads that have reasonable curves in then.A round trip for me daily is aprox. 64 miles.There are roads not too far from here that you will meet the rearend of your bike in the switchbacks,LOL.The State Highway Patrol ride some pretty hot bikes up and down those roads to catch some of the sidepipe draggers.You asked what I have rode as well.This has been my adventure,so far;1979 Honda XL250 {in the Cannal Zone,Panama },1973 Honda XL360,1979 Honda 750K- 8in chopped.,1982 Honda CB900C{iron butt bike},1985 Honda V45{nice 360 degree torque band},2008 Harley Electraglide Classic,and this 08 ST1300{love the 360 degree torque band}.I presume this will be my final adventure cycle ride,unless of couse something changes,LOL.Back to the tire subject,I should have went with the Michelin tire when I purchased these but I was trying to save a couple of bucks.How'd that work out for me?:(
the Michelin tire will cup a lot . As far as a smoother ride, I would debate that my last 3 sets were radial and now I have b/s H50 and I do not find any difference between the 2 . Maybe in the 100 plus range there probably is a noticeable difference but who spends extended time there on sweepers.

OP
OP
cstuart1597

cstuart1597

cSTuart1597
Bike
ST 1300
Well is has been a informative ride onthis thread.I haven't commited to which set of tires I'm going to do next.I have more research to invest.I believe I can get through this riding season and then deal with new tires .It 's another couple of months before any snow will fly and the wet season is in November.I have enjoyed all the conversation . I know it's a topic that has been on going and will continue to be.:cbcgw:

Top Bottom