pulling my carbs for the first time...advice please.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I guess we've all had our foolish moments now and then... ;-)

Interestingly does the error rate raise progressively due disturbances like '...dinner is ready!...' and such...

Bike
92 ST1100
I guess we've all had our foolish moments now and then... ;-)

Interestingly does the error rate raise progressively due disturbances like '...dinner is ready!...' and such...
Makes for a good escape goat in spite of a more likely 'seniormonent':rolleyes:.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Forgot to mention this before, if the OP or anyone else reading this is planning on buying the 5.5mm ID bypass hose to the t-stat housing, PM me and I'll send you a length for free. I bought the entire 3m length when I did the job, and have no plans for the remaining 2.7m or so I have left over.

Bike
95 ST1100
I did this back in October with a tank removal. Not sure if I could have gotten to all the various hose connections without doing that but obviously it can be done. I put the left side top clamps on in what I thought was the correct position for easy access and they ended up hitting the throttle linkages so definitely pay attention to the original orientation. A 18" long screwdriver also helped.

You didn't mention whether you were going to do the hoses but I ended up replacing not only ALL the water hoses (including small diameter bypass thermostat housing) under the carbs but the two water necks and O-rings in the valley. Evidence of leakage and after removing, the o-rings were so bad I actually thought they were part of the housing and had to scrape them out. Figured it was best to replace everything since I don't want to repeat the job for a while and they weren't too expensive. Upon inspection also found one of the vacumn lines had a split in it so replaced it also.

Didn't think about cleaning out the carbs since the bike as was running well but would have been a good idea while everything was apart.

Look everything over carefully while you have it apart so you don't have to go back in!
System currently refusing to let me upload pictures but if you want some, PM me.

Good luck
+11111 on replacing the water hoses and elbows while you are in there. I did not since I did not have any leakage or evidence of wear when I initially pulled mine for cleaning. Murphy raised his ugly head a week after I re-installed and one of the elbows cracked and leaked all the coolant out. Easy and cheap to replace since you are already in there.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
Bike
98 st1100
STOC #
thanks for the advice. it was relatively painless. she idles alot better.I checked the slides, and cleared two clogged jets. i did not replace the coolant hoses or remove the pair system. I need to sync the carbs.

Top Bottom