Rear LED Lights?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm almost ready to start work, just need a few more LED bulbs for the rear.

I've read lots of threads regarding the front turn signal lights w/clear lenses (have'em), headlights (Cougars, ready to go) and LEDs for the 'parking' bulbs up front (have them too).

Other than the Pilot 7443 Red Flashing Brake LEDs, . . . haven't found much regarding replacing all the rear LEDs. I do have a Whelen LIN3 which I've used on 5 bikes and know it's very effective above the license plate.

So, I'm looking to upgrade all rear lights to LEDs (as recommended in several threads). I'm hoping for something that is plug-n-play and significantly brighter/noticeable.

Thanks all,
Shuey

PS: Also, I have the Relay to swap out to avoid hyper flashing, but . . . guidance on where to put it in would be greatly appreciated.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
For the relay, just remove the OEM one and put it in the same spot. (rear of fuse box with a bunch of other relay like things...)

You noted you have pilot 7743 red flashing brake LED's. The only other LED's are the 2 turns, and they are just an amber 7440 or 7443. You only need 1 "filament" but either bulb will work fine.
The 7440 is a "single filament" bulb while the 7443 is a "dual." You've got lots of length room in the rear so you just need to make sure it fits through the opening.

It may be worth taking the rear apart to replace the turn signals. There's not much room in under the seat in the tail to get the OEM bulb holders out. It can be done, but you'll have "fun" doing it. Reach in and unplug the harness where it goes into the bulb holder. You then rotate the holder to release it from the lens. That's the challenging part. Getting it back in and locked it tricky too. A light coat of vaseline or rubber grease on the holders o-ring will ensure it will come out easier if you need to in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Here's what I bought for the rear turns:
Thanks Obo . . . ordered them.

Although I have the Pilot 7443 Red LEDs . . . they also light the license plate red instead of white. I'd prefer white. So . . . I've ordered the same NATGIC 7443 bulbs in WHITE for the brakes. Will these cause any problems?
NATGIC 7443 LED White for brakes.png

Always appreciate your input.

Shuey

PS: Thanks Mellow for reminding me about the Hyper-Lites. Used them on 4 other bikes, very effective.

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Whelen light bar under my Givi mount with Hyperlites just under that. All of my brake and turn signal bulbs are LED.
I have the red brake bulbs. They are so much brighter than stock and they kinda wash out the red brake lens. The white ones may be worse? In NC, you can't have anything but a white light illuminating the tag. I have been failed once for that on state inspection. I just went home and swapped bulbs and then passed. Back to the LED's when I got back home.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the red brake bulbs. They are so much brighter than stock and they kinda wash out the red brake lens. The white ones may be worse? In NC, you can't have anything but a white light illuminating the tag. I have been failed once for that on state inspection. I just went home and swapped bulbs and then passed. Back to the LED's when I got back home.
The OEM brake light bulbs are white and I'm replacing them with brighter LED bulbs that are white. This will result in continued approved lighting of my plate and brighter braking light. Thanks for the heads-up on the possibility of the red lens washing with the white LED. If not acceptable, I'll try the red LED bulbs I already have on hand.

Shuey

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
LEDs will work much better when they're the colour of the plastic you're viewing them through. The red ones will be superior. For the plate, which requires white light, Larry's suggestion of an additional panel or a similar COB strip is a good one.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
While we're discussing lights, is anyone aware of a red LED assembly that is a perfect fit for the red reflectors on ST1100 saddlebags? Dual brightness is a plus, but not a necessity.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
For the plate, which requires white light, Larry's suggestion of an additional panel or a similar COB strip is a good one.
Thank you.

I figure the right-sized panel would block the red light, not change brightness when you brake, and could be wired to the tail-light circuit somehow. Might have to bring a wire into the housing.

Another option would be to block off the clear lens and use a pair or two of lighted plate bolts. Maybe there are water-proof LED panels that can be mounted outside, below the tail-light housing.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
@Shuey +1 on the lin3 and the hyper lytes. The white led brake will work. I kept changing mine until I found a very bright one, it flashes 3x or something then steady. Had to put in a plate light so it wasn’t red showing, probably didn’t matter but more light. Take apart the rear to fit the lights as OBO suggested and put on the Lin3. Expect to upgrade next year when technology improves…again.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@Shuey you'll likely find the white LED's will result in a pinkish tail and brake lights. This is due to the light being a different color temperature as well as brighter than an incandescent bulb.
It will give you the white plate light.

I went red LED's, and it does cause a bit of a red light on the plate, but we don't have bike inspections here so it's not been an issue. I'm not 100% sold on my red LED's as they do create a visual hot spot which makes it a bit difficult to distinguish between the running light and the brake lights. That's part of why I added in the 2 extra brake only lights that both flash, one under the top case and the other where the rear reflector is.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK . . . enough! Thanks all, but after everything arrives I'll have enough bulbs to start my own online store! :eek:

I just ordered the newest Alla bulbs Willsmotorcycle suggested which will give me at least 3 sets of LED brake lights to compare. One pair of white and 2 pairs of red. Should be interesting.

Before I take the bike apart to replace bulbs, step 1 is to change out the flasher relay which I have in hand. I just need to figure out where it is. I'll check the manual and if all else fails there's always . . . the White Courtesy Phone! :)

Shuey

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
OK . . . enough! Thanks all, but after everything arrives I'll have enough bulbs to start my own online store! :eek:
<snip!>
Shuey
Too bad Shuey! I'm writing anyway. :p

I bought this little strip of white LEDs to address my red illuminated license plate after switching to red LED stop/running lamps.

I haven't installed yet, but I intend to attach to the underside of the taillight shell using 3M VHB tape and wire into the running light circuit. That's part of a larger taillight upgrade project which includes adding an ST2 Brake light flasher, red/yellow switchback lamps to convert the rear turn signals into red taillights when not signalling (red light passing through a yellow filter remains red , btw). I have all the connectors - some may recall my quest last year to find the male connector counterpart to the OEM taillight connector - and have a wiring diagram. I just need to dig into the tailsection to see what kind of room I have available and determine wire lengths, etc...

1707768447424.png

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
:inpc1:
Oznium, Cool White, Straight Black, P/N: 1320 is now ordered and . . . I got the last one!
FYI: The 'Cool White" is at 9,000k and the "Warm White' is at 3,000k. They are 6,500 lumes each. Hopefully not too bright!

It looks like it'll fit nicely above the plate affixed to the underside of the clear section of the lens. We'll see.
Shuey

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I just ordered the newest Alla bulbs Willsmotorcycle suggested which will give me at least 3 sets of LED brake lights to compare. One pair of white and 2 pairs of red. Should be interesting.

Before I take the bike apart to replace bulbs, step 1 is to change out the flasher relay which I have in hand. I just need to figure out where it is. I'll check the manual and if all else fails there's always . . . the White Courtesy Phone! :)

Shuey
Behind the left side cover below the seat you will find the relays. There are 4 in a row and 4 that are 2 x 2.
The turn signal relay is the rearmost relay of the 4 in a row as opposed to the four arranged two x two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom