Red Wire Bypass or Ignition Relay Bypass

Bike
R1200rt
Anyhow, the point being electrical issues can be tricky, and these relays both didn't just die one day, so there was some warning. Luckily I had a 4 pin relay that will work until I get a 5 pin replacement for my setup, and the bike works perfectly again. I also refreshed my memory on the design of the bypass mod and will carry another relay as a spare, but I realized a simple piece of wire as a bypass for the relay would get me home in a pinch. On the bright side, it was good practice for diagnosing electrical issues, and I figured I'd share my experience in case anyone runs into something similar. At least I confirmed all the work I did for the bypass was working properly, so that was cool.

My bike shows no signs of any issue with the red wire needing attention, but I do like the peace of mind and it was a fun project.
was the old relay marked what the max amperage was? There are 20a,30a, 40a and more.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
was the old relay marked what the max amperage was? There are 20a,30a, 40a and more.
It's 40A with the fifth leg to connect the tender charger.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html Sealed 12 Volt Mini Relays with Mounting Bracket
I also used the micro-relay on my ST and GS for aux circuits for USB ports and such. It's a really neat setup when you understand what a relay does, and a lot cheaper than buying some Gucci aux circuit to avoid canbus issues on the BMW.

Bike
R1200rt
It's 40A with the fifth leg to connect the tender charger.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html Sealed 12 Volt Mini Relays with Mounting Bracket
I also used the micro-relay on my ST and GS for aux circuits for USB ports and such. It's a really neat setup when you understand what a relay does, and a lot cheaper than buying some Gucci aux circuit to avoid canbus issues on the BMW.
I also use these, it saves on wire and time
1680183446282.png

Bike
R1200rt
What is that third prong for this fuse?
Main power to the center then each side can power something . I have a 15amp one side powers my gps the other side powers a double usb outlet. Available at any auto parts store. "The Micro3 fuse has 3 terminals and 2 fuse elements with a common center terminal. It's sub-miniature design meets the need for more circuits to be protected while utilizing less space. ":thumb:
It ain't real.
Come on Larry , your showing your age:rofl1:
1680229128542.png

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
So, if a fuse blows, to replace it you have to also throw away a good fuse? :oops: Why does that seem wrong?
On the other hand, you bought a fuse and got 2! Just don't blow it! :biggrin:

I think I have a red wire bypass in my very near future. Went out yesterday to go for a ride on the black beater bike (it has parts and pieces of 4 black 1100s). I tried to start it and nothing. Turned the key off and pondered the age of the battery. Checked the time and realized that I've owned the bike about 5 years and never had a problem or changed the battery. Tried the key again. Nothing, not even the clock. Moved over to my Valkyrie and enjoyed the afternoon. :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom