Rediculous price for key blank

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've been needing another key for my '13 DL650 so I stopped by the dealer today. I was quoted a price of $60 for an uncut key. Needless to say, I turned down their offer. A web search showed that $60 is indeed the price from most Suzuki dealers. So, me being a tight SOB, I went to Ace Hardware and had one cut on a SUZ18 key blank for the princely sum of $3. After getting the key home, I found that it wouldn't quite fit in the recessed ignition. No big deal, just grind off the front corners of the head of the key.

It works fine and I saved $57.

Ride Safe
John
image.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ouch! $60 for a key that's not even a 'smart' key!

Honda wanted $18 for the OEM silly putty key. I got over wanting the plastic wing bit in a hurry.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
JRob got one for his CTX and I'm thinking it was $80 or some such.

I wonder what one of the new Wing keys go for?

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
JRob got one for his CTX and I'm thinking it was $80 or some such.

I wonder what one of the new Wing keys go for?
New Wing doesn't use a key. :). But no telling what the fob costs.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nashcat said:
New Wing doesn't use a key.
Nobody needs keyless igniton. Are we really a nation of overweight lazy sheep that can't be bothered to take a key out of a pocket and put it back when done?? <raising my hand>

I really really want keyless ignition on my next bike. THAT is a huge selling point for me. And I'm too lazy to mod the ST as someone else (not too lazy) did.

PS

This is what you do if the fob goes bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lq8qyjndLo

Wow. But I'd take my chances.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don't get me started on power windows or electric windscreen!!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This is what you do if the fob goes bad:
Might be prudent to start by making a copy of the mechanical key, which appears to be a critical component of the reboot procedure. Otherwise, you're SOL if you happen to, say, LOSE, the fob and not just have it go bad on you.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
'Keyless ignition'?

Just more unnecessary expense.
Could not agree more. While I DO like fuel injection, and electronic ignition, keyless ignition is going a bit too far, on a motorcycle. This kinda compares to the outrageously expensive trucks I encountered when shopping for a new truck. Loaded with all sorts of geegaws which just increase the likelihood of a necessary trip back to the dealer for repair.

Of course, one has to consider the fact that that the features that were once luxuries on cars, and frankly, were not very durable, have become commonplace , and much more durable.

I think I'll stick to the ST for now.....

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Honda thought that through (regarding dead key fob battery), good for them. It would appear that for the GL one must still have the key fob (the key inside the key fob) to get the bike running for Honda's procedure. So don't lose the fob. No different than don't lose a mechanical key on a wired ignition.

On my RT, if the key fob battery is dead or fob is lost, I can use the bike's plastic 'valet' key (which has a RFID chip imbedded in it) and position it into a very specific place on the bezel of the instrument cluster--the bike is able to read the key there and enable the ignition. Just as the new GL, if you're a long way from home and lose the fob, you've a problem. So I carry both the fob and the 'valet' key for my RT.

Due to their size, I believe the key fob is harder to lose than an old-tech mechanical key. But as a bit of added insurance, I have a bright yellow lanyard attached to my fob, and I carry it inside a zippered belly pack.

My RT keyless ignition is a very-much-appreciated feature! I'll take it any day over a mechanical key as I found myself too often fully suited and gloved searching for which pocket held my ST's key.

Also, I assume that with the GL (just as with my RT), the key fob should never be stored near the bike--it communicates actively with the bike, drawing power. When I bought my RT, the consignment shop didn't know that and had stored the fob in the bike on the showroom floor--the bike's battery was depleted. Further, the fob battery was drained and required a new battery a few months later.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I would need a duplicate key because I would lose the fob before it's battery died I think. Hide the duplicate on my person or the bike in a safe place that would take 20 min. to find. Then duplicate the instructions and hide... along with that special number. Possibly link this video on my phone. I don't think that keyless ignition is all that bad, we've all lost keys or even broken a key in the ignition and at least Honda have thought through the dead fob issue. If you actually lose it though... what's the replacement cost $300? Along with down time due to waiting for a new one. At least with a fob that big, you probably won't run it through the washer in your jeans.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m really old school. My wife’s SRX has the smart key and push button start. The only issue with this is if we split up on a shopping trip. It’s happened a few times that she has the key on her and I leave her off, go off on my own and realize, crap! I can’t turn the car off or I can’t get it restarted. I believe it or not prefer an old style key in the ignition so if we take my car, you’re guaranteed not to be stranded w/o the key. Just an opinion is all.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think key-less ignition is just fine. I have no desire to have it but I see nothing wrong with it either and I can also see the advantages of its ease-of-use. What I don't understand is the need for the convoluted procedure if the FOB is dead. They provided a back-up key in the event of FOB failure. Presumably that key is just as unique as any other vehicle key that they supply with any other motorcycle. Why not just use that key to operate the bike until the FOB is functional again? No different or less secure than any other vehicle that uses a key.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Chipped BMW keys are only $57... I can't believe someone would try to get $60 for a simple cut blade key... blokes!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few years ago, I bought 6 keys off of a guy like "Bill's locksmith" on eBay cut for around $20 delivered. All the keys had the black plastic like the OEM keys. Not sure if if I can find the guy on there, maybe an old PayPal invoice, just send the person online the small aluminum tag number that you received with the OEM keys. All the keys worked right out of the box too. I'd rather get the keys cut from the numbers as they aren't worn down from the tumblers.
I normally carry 3 keys with me as I can keep the bike warming up while I pack up the side bags and top box with the other keysets.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Yeah, just like electronic ignition and fuel injection. What was wrong with points ignition and carburators?:)

John
They tend to increase performance and life time. Keyless ignition adds a slight convenience and a man in the middle attack to open a/o start your car.
For literally the princely some of $0.04 they could make the old keyfob entry dohicky actually last by not using the crappy rubber contact switches.
And stay off my lawn :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
IIRC a new 2018 Gold Wing key fob is $90. Honda dealers should have a special tool #070PZ-ZY30100 to program the new fob to the bike's ECU.

I think thoughtful owners might consider having a locksmith duplicate the actual metal stop-gap key and memorize or etch the numbers on the key then carry the key in a wallet or piece of riding gear at all times or at least when riding far from home. Then a lost fob would not be a trip-ending problem.

For me I like the keyless ignition in my Mazda 3 and want every future car or motorcycle to have it. It's very convenient and no less trouble than carrying a key to stick in the ignition.

Top Bottom