Rediculous price for key blank

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Haven't heard of anyone leaving their fob behind when leaving the garage lately, but it has happened. Just checked Deba's new Lexus. Car will not start without the fob inside. If ya leave it inside, the doors won't lock. I think they are getting smarter. :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
George said:
Car will not start without the fob inside. If ya leave it inside, the doors won't lock.
I recently saw this in another car maybe an Ultima. We were helping someone move and she couldn't find her car keys. I don't know if it was keyless ignition but one guy kept saying 'Maybe it's in the car'. She couldn't make him understand that the car doors wouldn't lock if the key was in the car. The car was unlocked. So we found the keys and sent him home by telling him kids are on his lawn. :grin:

Many of us carry a spare key or hide one on our bikes. Not all of us do it because the factory key is cheese. Mine did break off in my gas cap and a spare on me would have saved a lot of time. Fortunately I gave my 'Wing buddy a spare and now keep one on me at all times.

As far as security with fobs is concerned that's only limited by the vision of the manufacturer. A poorly designed system is subject to a man in the middle attack. A well designed system is very resistant. No lock is immune to 'cracking'. So yes the NSA or someone very skilled could theoretically gain access. Unique key codes and encryption combinations are potentially much greater than the number of traditional physical keys made for a given vehicle.

Years past a common method of stealing a bike was to hammer a large screwdriver into the ignition and twist. Loud quick gone. Honda got smarter. The lock had screws/bolts with sheer points and once broken the assembly dropped and couldn't be turned to turn unlock the bike and turn on the ignition. It required a lot of work to repair though. But you still had the bike unless someone tried to drag it away.

If I had a 2018 'Wing I'd still carry a copy of the metal key along with a list of the dance steps. Someone somewhere will need that. A lot of people never will. I can ride with that.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
As far as security with fobs is concerned that's only limited by the vision of the manufacturer.
In one demo 10 models 8 manufacturers, two loop antennas and a piece of coax was all that was needed. :cool:
The cheap RF version just eliminates the coax making it practical.
shoe-phone.jpg

Since you can't go faster than light, one possible fix other than the obvious put a button back on the fob, would be some time of flight window to verify the physical distance between the fob and car antenna. The attack doesn't care what encryption you use, it just extends the range of the encrypted transaction. The NSA would just try to coerce you into putting a double secret back door into your encryption and hope you were dumb enough to blow your companies toes off.

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
LOL Carl. You're exposing an easily exploitable flaw on a public forum!?! :D

I think I'll wrap my bike and key fob in tinfoil next time I ride... one can't be too paranoid, er I mean careful.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
LOL wrapping just one would work I suggest the fob :)
Another demo 19 of 35 were successful, maybe because they didn't bother to match the silly signal strength window some mfg's implemented?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Guess it seems expensive till you check out other bikes, I recently purchased an FJR1300ES took the bike in to get a spare key! Was $20-00 thought, not bad so purchased it, It was a blank! Said to take it and get it cut then bring it back with the bike and the RED key! Did that then they started to reprogram the main CPU half an hour later and a call to Yamaha said the old key would now not work and they would need to get another! I asked what the red key was for as I could use it as a spare, they said whatever you do don't use it, take it home and put it in a safe place. If you loose it and need any mods or programming done it will cost you at least a couple of thousand as they have to replace the main CPU with a matching RED KEY plus new regular keys! SO HONDA PRICES DON'T SEEM TO BAD! By the way, the old key was alright when I watch them re program it for a second time I noticed they didn't hold the brake on and when they tried the starter it wouldn't run, I walked over and put the front brake on and it started right up!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MikesGTS1000 said:
I walked over and put the front brake on and it started right up!
As in cars that won't start without your foot on the brake? Interesting.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I found chip embedded blank keys for my 07 Dodge Sprinter van pretty cheap on line after my local Dodge dealer wanted $60 each for them, and also said he couldn't cut them (?). Was able to get them cut and programmed at a small hardware store in small town Indiana. Then I totalled it. :(

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My Harley uses fobs, plus a key to lock the bags and steering head. They have to be within 4 feet of the bike for the thing to start. It really is a pretty sophisticated system. Most people I know just leave them in the bags, which defeats the purpose. There is no telling what it costs to replace one of these fobs!

I would rather have just a key, KISS.

I hate fobs. Yes, I understand the security aspects, but to me, they are an answer to a question nobody asked.
I lost all of my car keys/remotes/fobs the other day.

So I called the dealers:
Acura - $380 for the key plus $60 to program.
Honda $199 key and program, the car had to be there.
Safe deposit - $150
I did not even call about my 20 year old truck.

Locksmith:
Acura - $175
Honda $120

Thankfully, I found them!!! DO NOT LOSE YOUR KEY$.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Nobody needs keyless igniton. Are we really a nation of overweight lazy sheep that can't be bothered to take a key out of a pocket and put it back when done?? <raising my hand>

I really really want keyless ignition on my next bike. THAT is a huge selling point for me. And I'm too lazy to mod the ST as someone else (not too lazy) did.

PS

This is what you do if the fob goes bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lq8qyjndLo

Wow. But I'd take my chances.
Okey dokey - I just learned something and acquired three important bits of knowledge there:

1) nobody should use a 2018 Honda Gold Wing as a get-away vehicle if they are prone to loosing keys;

2) a new example of how technology really can triumph over common sense to use in my engineering classes;

3) how to save myself about $31,457.

That entire performance is simply much too complex to be worth it.

....imo.

Pete

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the big takeaway is Honda is using that as a teaching moment.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I still haven't figured out how this thread about SUZUKI key blanks turned into a Honda bashing thread.

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nashcat said:
I still haven't figured out how this thread about SUZUKI key blanks turned into a Honda bashing thread.
It wasn't easy. Or maybe it was. At least where the 2018 'Wing is concerned. :rofl1:

Top Bottom