Reliability of Honda OEM Heated Grips

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Hello,

So, I am interested in putting heated grips on my '12 ST1300A, I looked at Oxford and am impressed with their commitment, quality, and time in the biz. However, I am not a fan of their control placement. It is not awful mind you and I know it is not a bad location, but I just LOVE the way the Honda OEM heated grip controller integrates on to the left fairing panel of the bike.

So, give my mild OCD and even though they were more expensive, I decided to pull the trigger and give them a try. So I am looking for feedback on their reliability and experiences with them.

I have the grips and attachment kit on order and hopefully will receive them before the end of the year.

All input (good and bad) welcome and encouraged!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Make sure of the fitment of the grips before you let go of your money.
I thought that Honda stopped making/selling the ones for our ST's a few years back due to issues of them failing so often.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've not had problems with the new style of Honda grips. The older style, with the control panel fitted below the LHS fairing pocket - the controller failed on all three of my previous STs.

The newer style available in 2013 has a push button built into the left hand grip, pressed with the thumb. This has so far lasted 8 years. / 52K miles. But - it is listed as no linger available by Fowlers in the UK. I don't know uf they brought out another version.

I don't think that they are specific to the ST1300. The grips are a bit shorter than the bars, so there is a gap between the grip and the bar weights, but I have massive hands and there is plenty of space. The diameter is smaller than the earlier style - but I guess they are the same as the OEM standard grips. I don't know - I had the heated grips fitted from new.

The button has a single LED to reveal the setting - off or 1, 2 , 3. Setting 2 is usually plenty warm enough. 3 gets far too hot for my gloves after a while. The LED flashes the setting every time the button is pressed, but you have to take your eyes off the road for far too long to be able to count the flashes. They are easy enough to get used to without looking at the LED - If they get too hot, turn them down or off.

The grips turn off when ignition is turned off and are always off when ignition is first turned on. They stop drawing power when there is not enough alternator output, and the LED flashes a warning. Handy if you have other devices drawing power too.
Standard fitting requires the quartet harness to connect the 3 pin Hitachi connector to the power. But they require only +12v and earth - so there is nothing special about the connection.

Last edited:
I've got the original Honda heated grips. Because of the placement of the controller, I find it difficult to change the setting while moving, as a result of the pressure needed. So I stop to change the setting. Left grip significantly hotter than the right.

I have had 3 sets of the Oxford grips on previous bikes and much prefer them - hotter and easier to control. Anyone thinking of installing the G2 Throttle Tamer may find that replacement Honda grips no longer available. Fortunately, right hand grip still available in UK.

Paul

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the original Honda grips on my 2007 ST1300 and they are still working great after 223,000 miles, not bad in my opinion.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Never tried the Honda grips, I went with the Oxford because of the large number of folks who use them and the overwhelmingly positive reviews of them. On high, they are too hot for my hands, I rarely exceed the second level of heat. Have them on two bikes.

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Here are the two items, at least a couple suppliers had them in stock (U.S. anyway)-

Honda HEATED GRIPS 08T71-MGS-A31
(Supersedes 08T71-MGS-A30)

$195.96

Honda ATTACHMENT KIT, HEATED GRIPS 08T70-MCS-R60

$32.76

I'm assuming these are the newer style mentioned due to the other part number reference.

Hard decision but they are not necessary at this moment, so going to hold off a while.

I know Oxford is the standard just not a huge fan of the control panel mount.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here are the two items, at least a couple suppliers had them in stock (U.S. anyway)-
It's happened that many websites show Honda parts long after Honda has discontinued them and they are no longer available from them.

If you can call and check on availability you should do so. There've been a half-dozed times no that I've ordered something from several Honda parts suppliers proper and some dodgy ebay sellers who all advertise the items and take my money. Then a few days later I get an email saying the item is discontinued/unavailable. So I hope the grips are available but don't be surprised if...

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I placed the controller in the fairing pocket.
29BB19DD-004D-4A21-9606-5195A827A2FD.jpeg
I’ll pull over if I ever need to adjust it.

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
ST Gui- I hear ya and have experienced the same thing in the past as well. I ended up cancelling the order anyway.

rogo- Nice! The Oxfords are probably the best way to go and I just need to get over it and get those. Like your creativity, were your bars already taken up by other stuff or what?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The Honda Heated grips on the Africa Twin have not been real reliable either. I bought a pair of Koso Apollo heated grips with the control built into the base of the grips similar to OEM. They work great and have been rated pretty well by those who have bought them>

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
bdalameda- interesting, may have to check them out. So they come in different sizes and the 120mm ones fit well?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
bdalameda- interesting, may have to check them out. So they come in different sizes and the 120mm ones fit well?
You can get them in other lengths as well. The 120mm fits the Honda Africa Twin perfectly with the handlebar weights and does not require any trimming. Not sure about the ST1300 though. You may need the 130mm length - you will have to measure your grips.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My Honda heaters (2006 ST1300) have recently started flashing on settings 3 and 4. They “seem” to be working tho so I don’t know what that means. I live in Florida so it’s not like they get a lot of use....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Here are the two items, at least a couple suppliers had them in stock (U.S. anyway)-$195.96
ATTACHMENT KIT, $32.76
I know Oxford is the standard just not a huge fan of the control panel mount.
Oxfords, and other brands can be had for less than half that cost. If you investigate the type that uses your existing grips with their heating element (that wraps around the handlebars under your grips, I think you will find some closer in price to the attachment kit's - but I am not sure if that includes a controller.

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
You can get them in other lengths as well. The 120mm fits the Honda Africa Twin perfectly with the handlebar weights and does not require any trimming. Not sure about the ST1300 though. You may need the 130mm length - you will have to measure your grips.
I measured and the 120mm length is the correct size for the ST1300 as well, thanks!

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Oxfords, and other brands can be had for less than half that cost. If you investigate the type that uses your existing grips with their heating element (that wraps around the handlebars under your grips, I think you will find some closer in price to the attachment kit's - but I am not sure if that includes a controller.
Thanks, the cost was actually secondary as I like the integrated styling of the OEM version. However, the Apollo grips are now looking like a viable option.

Top Bottom