Reliability of Honda OEM Heated Grips

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Oxfords are the way to go in my opinion.

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
My Honda heaters (2006 ST1300) have recently started flashing on settings 3 and 4. They “seem” to be working tho so I don’t know what that means. I live in Florida so it’s not like they get a lot of use....
I have read that the flashing may be due to a low voltage situation. Is the flashing while you are out on the road/highway, or only while stationary, bike not running, etc.?

If while stationary or not running, maybe try while out of the road, if happening while out on the road then maybe your battery is on its way out or some other electrical issue? (Depending on how they're wired.)

My Honda heaters (2006 ST1300) have recently started flashing on settings 3 and 4. They “seem” to be working tho so I don’t know what that means. I live in Florida so it’s not like they get a lot of use....
My 2006 is exactly the same:- flashes but continues to work. I haven't noticed it switch off due to low voltage as I have a voltmeter on the bike.

A feature I prefer on the Oxford grips, but not available on the Hondaline, is that they don't have a memory function for when you switch off the ignition. In other words, with the Honda grips, if they are on when you switch ignition off, they are still on when you next start the engine.

Paul

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have read that the flashing may be due to a low voltage situation. Is the flashing while you are out on the road/highway, or only while stationary, bike not running, etc.?

If while stationary or not running, maybe try while out of the road, if happening while out on the road then maybe your battery is on its way out or some other electrical issue? (Depending on how they're wired.)
The grips flash whether idling or riding, but only on settings 3 and 4. I have an almost new battery and have no issues w/ voltage that I can see. I did have everything apart over the summer, so maybe it’s related. Both grips heat up evenly as far as I can tell.

Bike
2003 ST1300
My heated Honda grips failed after 10 years which seems like a long time but here in So CA, I rarely used them unless
I rode out of state or up North. I would estimate that they lasted about 60 hours. The controller gave up but the grips
would still heat, so I by passed the controller with an on/off toggle. There is no longer a heat adjustment, it is full on
or off. I cycle it on/off and still enjoy some warmth on those cold trips over the passes.

Top Bottom