Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

There was a one page article in MCN this week about this very subject, their conclusion is it's unlikely we will see the STs replacement within the next 12 months, and yes, it's based on the VFR1200, but will be significantly more costly than the ST. This is largely due to Honda wanting to 'showcase' the tourer as the principle of technology advancement, which is purporting to also include an Airbag to compliment the redesigned nose, which supposedly prevents the bike from pitching/flipping forward in the event of an accident.

Cheers

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

There is only so much room they have between the $18k they are asking for a 2012 ST, and the $24k for a base Wing.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

There was a one page article in MCN this week about this very subject,
Is that Motorcycle News or Motorcycle Consumer News? Got a link? I can't find a story like you mention on either site. Thanks.

Bike
ST1300 Pan

Is that Motorcycle News or Motorcycle Consumer News? Got a link? I can't find a story like you mention on either site. Thanks.
The article is in their newspaper magazine, it doesn't normally come out on their website until a few days later unless you subscribe to the on-line version.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/

Cheers

Bike
FJR1300

I like your take, Ruckus. Thanks for the link ST_Jim--I like the 1200X too. However, my buy-in of that theory just got turned upside down when Mulski mentioned the news or speculation (don't know) that, yes, a new "ST" would be based off the VFR1200 but I didn't get the feeling that it would be of the "X" variety. An ambiguous link was provided. Unfortunately, my search efforts of validation came up empty. I could not locate said article. I hope Bones has something to share!
:chatter:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

No, it would be more like the NC700V, the ST version of the 700X. At the moment, the 1200X is the VFR1200's first step away from being a super bike.
You mean the NT700V Please do not confuse the NT700V with the NC700X. Two completely different bikes.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

You mean the NT700V Please do not confuse the NT700V with the NC700X. Two completely different bikes.
Yup, one is a v-twin and the other is a parallel twin and both have different shift points and specs so other than the 700 designation, there's really not much they have in common.. well, both have wheels and handlebars :rofl1:

Bike
2006 ST1300

There was a one page article in MCN this week about this very subject, their conclusion is it's unlikely we will see the STs replacement within the next 12 months, and yes, it's based on the VFR1200, but will be significantly more costly than the ST. This is largely due to Honda wanting to 'showcase' the tourer as the principle of technology advancement, which is purporting to also include an Airbag to compliment the redesigned nose, which supposedly prevents the bike from pitching/flipping forward in the event of an accident.

Cheers
So they go from not offering the basic items many of us have been screaming for, to adding in devices that are not needed (and I suspect many of us won't want)?

If the word of the VFR variant is true...this will be my last ST unless I go for another used 1300. The Crosstourer looks promising, and might end up on my short-list right next to the Super Tenere, if it ever comes here. I dislike the ABS, and especially the lack of a way to disable it (a little wiring work could fix that), and the spoke wheels. Considering the terrain this bike was designed for, aluminum wheels would work just fine. Still overall it looks like a nice design.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

VFR is the best choice for 1300 alternative for me too. But the GT1600 is a dream machine. At a stratospheric price here in Canada (30k) and maintenance is Pharaonic...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

If the next version of the ST gets much more near 20k I'm probably looking at an FJR as my next ST... there's talk about them adding traction control to the current version.

I've been considering putting my ST up for sale so I can be ready if Honda introduces something new.. the little VStrom will tour just fine so I will have something in the meantime.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Much like my thoughts Joe, but I've chosen not to have a second bike in the garage. I'm thinking the next Honda ST is coming soon, but even if they bring a new one to the market I'm just not riding enough right now to justify replacing a perfectly good ST.
:shrug1:

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

I'm to the point of being PO'ed about this whole subject. For God sakes, spend a few bucks for R&D to add some bags and cruise control to the VFR1200X and get it to market Honda. How hard can it be? Put the Wing on a slight diet, make sure the engine can produce a few more ponies and let it get 45mpg's. How hard can it be? I'm getting closer and closer to jumping ship.

Bike
FJR1300

If the next version of the ST gets much more near 20k I'm probably looking at an FJR as my next ST... there's talk about them adding traction control to the current version.
Mellow, if that happens, you may find some of us may joining you when all is said and done. Looks like the domain, "fj-owners.com" is available ;)

Bike
FJR1300

I'm to the point of being PO'ed about this whole subject. For God sakes, spend a few bucks for R&D to add some bags and cruise control to the VFR1200X and get it to market Honda. How hard can it be? Put the Wing on a slight diet, make sure the engine can produce a few more ponies and let it get 45mpg's. How hard can it be? ...
-so simple, even a monkey can do it ;) Nice avatar DD

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow, if that happens, you may find some of us may joining you when all is said and done. Looks like the domain, "fj-owners.com" is available ;)
Nah, heck 1/2 the time I ran this site I had a Wing so what bike I'm on is irrelevant. I suppose if Honda completely gave up on the ST we could be considered Sport Touring Owners.com which still works but I just have a gut feel they aren't writing us off yet, they're just taking care of business where it makes sense, then they'll address the more expensive niche of Sport Touring.

I'm to the point of being PO'ed about this whole subject. For God sakes, spend a few bucks for R&D to add some bags and cruise control to the VFR1200X and get it to market Honda. How hard can it be? Put the Wing on a slight diet, make sure the engine can produce a few more ponies and let it get 45mpg's. How hard can it be? I'm getting closer and closer to jumping ship.
Well... if they just brought the Cross Tourer here they'd be 80% there... add plastic and bags on the same basic platform with some performance tweaks...

Bike
GL1800

Honda had a 2012 ST1300 in the big Red Tent at the Laguna Seca MotoGP event. Lots of other new bikes though! I did not bother asking the Honda folks what the heck??!!!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

Originally Posted by Mellow
Mellow, if that happens, you may find some of us may joining you when all is said and done.
All the advertisements (including the Features/Technical page on the Yamaha website) tout traction control as standard on the 2013 FJR. One of many reasons I'm in love with that bike and wished that one was in my garage. Oh, if only the ST wasn't already paid for!

Top Bottom