Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

All the advertisements (including the Features/Technical page on the Yamaha website) tout traction control as standard on the 2013 FJR. One of many reasons I'm in love with that bike and wished that one was in my garage. Oh, if only the ST wasn't already paid for!
Well shoot.... I didn't know that.... that's not good.. LOL

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I suppose if Honda completely gave up on the ST we could be considered Sport Touring Owners.com which still works
What he said. ST is as much a STate of mind as anything else,,, it's HOW I ride more than WHAT I ride. <my opinion> :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

All the advertisements (including the Features/Technical page on the Yamaha website) tout traction control as standard on the 2013 FJR. One of many reasons I'm in love with that bike and wished that one was in my garage. Oh, if only the ST wasn't already paid for!
My 2001 ABS has traction control, waz'a prob?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Well . . . I'm looking for an ST to replace "UBB" but am at least going to also look at the Gen III 2013 FJR. It comes with a lot of bike and accessories for the money!

My biggest hang-up with making a switch is my trust in Honda products and . . . the garage full of ST "stuff" sitting here at the house!

Shuey

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

When and if Honda ever decides to bless the motorcycling world with an ST replacement will be of little consequence to me if its heavier than the ST1300 or priced like a BMW. The older I get the less weight I want to muscle around and more frugal I become.

Bike
Tiger Explorer
STOC #

I got tired of waiting on Honda. I was looking to make a change but having trouble deciding what I wanted. Test rode the BMW F800GT, nice bike but not quite "it" if you know what I mean. Rode the BMW GS and just didn't like the boxer engine. My problem started when I test rode the Triumph Explorer. it felt just right, about a 100 pounds lighter than the ST, handled just as well, traction control, ABS, cruise, and it fit me. I was sold. the only reservations I have about it are around reliability. My 08 ST never gave me any problems and 56000 miles of good memories. The Triumph is fun to ride, cooler, and handles great. Time will tell on how well it holds up.

I want to ride both the Tiger and the Explorer. I think a lot of ST owners are thinking about the new Triumph Trophy, but I'm leaning towards the ADV esthetic. And I want to be able to see the motor -- just because.

Currently enjoying riding my wife's DL650. A week ago (due to my own stupidity) it fell off my table lift. Amazingly, the only damage was a bent bar-end weight screw, which I straightened with a hammer. No permanent damage. Don't think the ST13 would have fared so well.

Bike
2002 ST1100

$37,000 is a bit steep for my wallet, but it looks like a great bike!

"Well, if you love the V4, Motus is bringing the MST to market next year..."

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

The older I get the less weight I want to muscle around and more HANDSOME I become.
FTFY...that must be what you meant.

I'm with you...it's the weight. I'm drooling at the thought of a Yamaha FZ-09 triple in an FJR-like chassis.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Not if you ask Yamaha or Kawasaki..

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

I saw Rulbe's 1200S Multistrada this past weekend that would be a serious contender lots less weight good storage plenty of power but the maintenance is what scares me. Randy is a very good mechanic I am nowhere near his capabilities so that would be a drawback for me, the Trophy is also a good choice.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

OK... to drop significant weight.... like getting under 600lbs wet (which is still a bunch).
I'm with you, Dave. And a beak fixes everything, so a longer, wider beak fixes everything better still. Plus it adds comic effect, so we get to figure the value of laughter into the equation.

$37,000 is a bit steep for my wallet, but it looks like a great bike!

"Well, if you love the V4, Motus is bringing the MST to market next year..."
That's in the neighbourhood of what people are paying for a new K1600GTL or a Spyder RT. And people are buying those. But being Honda folks, we are just used to a lower total cost of ownership.

BTW, the price on the MST with side bags is actually $31K:

2014 MOTUS MST STANDARD EQUIPMENT
1650cc liquid-cooled V4, 160 bhp, 125 ft. lbs.
6-Speed, dual-overdrive
Electronic Fuel Injection
Electronic throttle control
TFT color LCD Instrument Panel
720w alternator
Ohlins NIX adjustable front suspension
Progressive mono-shock rear suspension w/remote preload adjuster
Brembo calipers
Forged aluminum OZ wheels
Powerlet port
Removable side cases
Premium Motus seat by Sargent
20,000 mi XW-ring chain by RK
Hybrid rear sprocket w/lifetime warranty
Centerstand
Adjustable windscreen
Adjustable handlebars
2 year warranty unlimited mileage
MSRP $30,975

2014 Motus MST OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
30 L top case w/rear deck
Mid and full tour windscreen
Dual rear Powerlet port
Heated seat
Heated grips
Premium Motus low seat by Sargent

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I'm gonna turn my
DRZ400E into a touring bike. :D 300lbs wet, plus racks 'n luggage.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

I'm gonna turn my
DRZ400E into a touring bike. :D 300lbs wet, plus racks 'n luggage.
Go for it, Geo. M Versys makes a great touring bike. 225 mile range on regular, 35 liter hard panniers and the same E55 I use on my ST, manually adjustable windscreen, heated grips...and close to 300 pounds lighter than the ST. Not as fast, quick or smooth, but a hoot to ride.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

I have seen some try to make a sport/ tourer out of a Yamaha WR250 with all the bags etc. Not much power left to pass?
I think the hand vibration on these smaller two cylinder bikes would be the problem for me. Recently rode my BMW800 GS for about 400 miles, the battery on the ST was dead, at the end of the ride my hands were just buzzing. It lasted for about an hour. The ST will really spoil you for comfort and power...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

The vSTrom 650 worked quite well as a touring bike for me for the NatSTOC trip. It never felt under-powered at all and the lighter bike was always nice when having to move it around a parking lot or campground. It does feel easier to handle in the twisties but I'd say that difference is very slight compared to the slow-speed or parking-the-bike situations where you need to be more vigilant. I have another 6k trip planned which will give me an even better feel for it and now that my Rick Mayer seat is on it, should be MUCH more comfortable. I'm surprised how smooth the v-twin is. The Tenere always had some handlebar vibs and the vSTrom is very smooth.

Bike
st1300 2007 non ABS.

Considering the amount of Honda dealers going bust or just closing, I doubt if they are in any hurry to rush out a new replacement.
Granted, the ST, while the Lexus of motorcycles , is kinda getting dated in design.
My only concern is that they will reduce the c.c. from the present 1300 to appease the 'green crowd', thus reducing that wonderful torque.
However they should have ABS as standard, otherwise its a bit like not having AirBags in cars.....
Most of the other gizmos on the wish list wont come as standard I bet, Honda will most likely give the basic package....
Either way, most the gizmos are available as add-ons, and probably far cheaper.......Just look at the price of the pullout canvas carrier bags for the saddlebags! Wow,,,,must be the most expensive 'zipped canvass bag' in the world..!

Guilt is a wasted emotion !!

The Honda ST1300 will most likely be replaced with a new model around 2014. If so, then Honda may be well into the planning stages for the new design. In this short article, I will outline my view of what the replacement model should retain and change.

I?ve owned my 2007 Honda ST1300 for two years. Although I?ve only ridden it for just over 12,000 kilometres (parenting a young child keeps me off the bike more than I would like), I?ve ridden it through the kind of extreme weather that is common in the South Island of New Zealand. This has included riding for over 500k through continuous rain and a night ride in a southerly storm with a wind gust recorded near my home of 161kph/100mph.

My experience as an ST owner has been very much in line with other rider reports and the many excellent reviews of this bike. It does everything well that you could realistically want a big sports tourer to do. One review stated that although the ST1300 may not be at the very top of the list with respect to handling, aerodynamics, comfortable, performance, and styling when compared to the competition in the big sports tourer category, it ranks towards the top (first or second) in all of these areas. Before purchasing the bike I did a lot of market research. I won?t go into all the details here, suffice to say that it came down to a choice between the BMW1200RT and the Honda. Reading about the long-term reliability issues of the BMW and the absolutely legendary long-term reliability of the Honda ST1300 sealed the deal.

In short, the Honda ST1300 is a superb bike. If you buy one you won?t be disappointed (unless you buy it with completely unrealistic expectations- it doesn?t have the performance of a Fireblade nor the electronic gadgetry on the latest BMW1200RT).

Having said this, Honda has done remarkably little to update the ST1300, instead investing a lot into the VFR1200. It is due for replacement but will Honda get this right?

The Longitudinally Mounted VR Engine- Keep It!
As far as I am aware, the engine configuration on the ST is unique. You have to own one of these bikes to appreciate what an incredible engine this is. Beautifully smooth, with steady and predictable power delivery throughout the range, still more power than the 2012 BMW1200RT, and tremendous long-term reliability. I could go on but I know I?m preaching to the converted.

The key point for Honda to note is that this engine configuration should be retained in the ST?s replacement. I don?t want to see a larger version of the VFR 1200 engine- I do want an updated version of the current ST V4.

My only reservation is that if Honda stuff this up and shove a VFR engine in the replacement then it will help to keep up the price of used ST1300s (and reduce my desire to purchase the replacement ? saving me lots of dollars).

Aerodynamic Design- Less Wind Noise Please

Although the aerodynamic design of the ST1300 is excellent, especially with respect to maintaining a remarkable degree of stability in high wind conditions (meaning up to storm force), it isn?t as good as the BMW1200RT. A former BMW owner said that for him this was the main area in which the BMW outperformed the Honda- there is a lot more wind noise on the Honda. So there is room for improvement in this area.

Instrumentation
Please keep the analogue speedo and tachometer! I don?t care if some people think this will make the bike look retro- the analogue instruments look good and are really easy to read in all light conditions.

The electronic displays on the ST1300 are not easily readable in bright light conditions and when the rider is wearing sunglasses or using a tinted visor. Hopefully these displays will be improved in the replacement model and will be easier to read in a wider range of light conditions.

Heated Grips
The new model should, like the BMW RT, have reliable heated grips as standard, with the control mounted on the bars not the fairing. The Honda ST1300 is ultra reliable - the genuine Honda grips are not.

Six Speed Gearbox Please
There?s nothing wrong with the current five-gear setup, but it would be nice to have the extra gear for long distance highway riding.

Styling and Exhaust Placement
This is one area where there will be a wide range of preferences. To my eyes, the 2003-2004 BMW RTs are probably the best looking sport tourers ever built. The Honda ST1300 does not look as good as those BMW models, but I think it? still a nice looking bike compared to the current competition in this category.

There is, however, one thing upon which most ST1300 owners will agree- the bike looks ugly with the panniers removed. I love how much more like a sports bike the ST feels when you take off the panniers and the top box- it moves the centre of gravity a little further forward and even lower down in the bike- making it a joy to throw around on tight twisties.

The ugliness of the current ST without the panniers could be avoided if the replacement model follows the styling of the VFR800 and runs the exhaust pipes under the seat. If it does this, then when you take the panniers off the ST?s replacement, it will look like a sports bike rather than a piece of agricultural equipment!

Updated Electronics- Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) and Traction Control

There is currently a technological revolution going on with respect to the application of electronics to suspension and traction, following the earlier application to braking (ABS and linked braking). The replacement for the ST1300 needs to incorporate the advances now common on its competitors (BMW RT1200, FJ1300, Kawasaki Concourse, Triumph Trophy 2013 SE). Simple and easy to use electronic suspension adjustment would be great. I commonly ride to the supermarket, load the bike up, and return home. It would be really useful to be able to adjust for the extra weight at the push of a button. I find the ST1300 handles so well in the wet (with Michellin Road Pilot 3 tyres) that I am less convinced of the need for traction control (it's not like the replacement is going to have the grunt of a Kawasaki ZX1400R where 'low power' and 'rain' traction control settings are essential), but it would be nice to have. Having taken my ST onto the track for the first time, I now appreciate that it would be an useful technological advance to be able to select suspension and traction settings for more aggressive and faster riding. Finally, Triumph is making it's software upgrades for new models available to owners of older models- it would be good if Honda could do likewise with it's electronics package for the ST 1300's replacement.

Other Stuff
Improved shaft drive as per the VFR1200, make sure the thermostat doesn?t fail after 60,000 kilometres, slight weight reduction would be good, and the top box should be more easily and cheaply available than for the ST1300.

Summing Up
Overall, Honda should adopt a reasonably conservative approach to its design of the ST1300?s replacement. The ST1300 is a fantastic bike that is unique in important respects. The replacement should be based on a design that retains the ST?s main strengths, while improving and refining it to eliminate some of its weaknesses. In short, Honda should not replace the ST1300 with a completely different bike. BMW has been making small incremental adjustments to its RT models, and Honda should adopt a similar approach in its design of the ST?s replacement. Most importantly of all, it should retain the longitudinally mounted V4 engine configuration. If it fails to do this, then it will struggle to retain the loyalty of existing Honda ST owners.

The vSTrom 650 worked quite well as a touring bike for me for the NatSTOC trip. It never felt under-powered at all and the lighter bike was always nice when having to move it around a parking lot or campground. It does feel easier to handle in the twisties but I'd say that difference is very slight compared to the slow-speed or parking-the-bike situations where you need to be more vigilant. I have another 6k trip planned which will give me an even better feel for it and now that my Rick Mayer seat is on it, should be MUCH more comfortable. I'm surprised how smooth the v-twin is. The Tenere always had some handlebar vibs and the vSTrom is very smooth.
I've been doing some touring on our DL650 and come to much the same conclusion. It's a great little bike for a great price and you can find them used with low miles on them.

Top Bottom