Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

One thing's for sure, they are not going to build a new ST from scratch. I don't believe that they will ever build another motorcycle with an engine that is only used in one model. Today, it is all about repurposing the major components in two or three different applications, like they have done recently in the 700 series bikes.
Yup... and if you were making company decisions you wouldn't start that approach with the large displacement bikes because if it failed, it would be a huge failure.... so, 500cc/700cc/800cc/?,???cc... The 1200 engine is alive and in use both in the VFR and the CrossTourer... I'm starting to think the 800cc motor may just be next and unveiled as a mid-weight sport tourer like the BMW800GT.. The Crossrunner is pretty much there, fairly light and powerful w/okay fuel economy... The 1200 would be next debuting a CrossTourer and SportTourer at the same time?.. gonna take lots of $$ and the market has to support it... Trust me, Honda has already thought of everything we have and more, years ago and has 100s of contingency plans... once in a while, we guess correctly.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Maybe they are going to listen to me and put that new V4 800 motor into the NT style bike. NT800 V-4??? I sure would buy one.

I would hope that Honda would do better than the F800ST (now GT). My buddy has the ST and I've put some miles on it. It's a fun bike, but lots of reliability issues and the parallel twin is quite buzzy at Interstate speeds.

Bike
GL1800

Maybe they are going to listen to me and put that new V4 800 motor into the NT style bike. NT800 V-4??? I sure would buy one.
Saw this "tour" mod of a 5th gen VFR 800 at Laguna Seca. Big screen, elevated bars and the Corbin Beetles.....almost there?
med_gallery_2144_6958_361613.jpg

This is a pre Vtec motor but what the heck.

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

Ok, I've been following this thread for a loooong time. Reading it each time it has been updated. Ocassionally chiming in with my own nonsense. Here's another one of those times ...

I've come to the conclusion that I kinda think I like it that the American market gets treated as it does by Honda. "What, you certainly jest?" you say. Not at all.

I've slowly realized that its far better that I only get one color choice for the bikes I'm interested in while other markets get more. Fewer decisions that I'll have to make. And the bikes I'm really interested in take years, if ever, to make it to the good 'ol USA. That way they can work out any kinks in the new models cause I ain't so smart. And if Honda ever did get around to updating the ST ... what would I have to complain about. Cause deep down inside I really think I'd rather piss and moan and arm-chair quarterback all of Honda's decisions than part with any of my hard earned cash. Truth be known, my pillion is not gonna let me have another bike in that garage that she can't park in anyway. Ah, it's nice to dream.

There I've said it. The truth will set you free ;-)

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

And if Honda ever did get around to updating the ST ... what would I have to complain about. Cause deep down inside I really think I'd rather piss and moan and arm-chair quarterback all of Honda's decisions than part with any of my hard earned cash.
Mrs. Blrfl once read a study that said the happiest workers are the ones with a couple of things to complain about. Maybe that extends to other things.

--Mark

The truth is, I can't afford a new bike either. And I would never buy (another) vehicle in first year of issue. This puts me even further downstream from any updated ST. Besides, I have another 36K to go before I reach 100K, which has kind-of become my goal for the ST13.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

Sat on a Ducati multistrada today. Nice bike but not a sport touring bike in my humble opinion... The search continues....

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

Mrs. Blrfl once read a study that said the happiest workers are the ones with a couple of things to complain about. Maybe that extends to other things.

--Mark
That explains me to a tee! I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have something to **tch about.

That explains me to a tee! I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have something to **tch about.
Fourty years ago, my father explained my mother to me by saying, "Your mother is not happy unless she's miserable". Like mother, like son... ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I can afford a new bike, but then I couldn't afford gas 'n tars. I think I'll STick (pun intended) with what I got. :D

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Honda makes some great bikes, but their pricing model is ridiculous. There is no way an ST1300 is worth $3k more than a Councours or a FJR, especially when these bikes will outperform the ST in many categories and the FJR comes standard with cruise and TC. Just my 2 cents

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

It's does keep rolling along though. When the dust clears I'll have spent more on gas and tars than the machine more than half way there now.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

It's does keep rolling along though. When the dust clears I'll have spent more on gas and tars than the machine more than half way there now.
With 443,000 miles, I've put over 10,000 gallons of gas thru my three STs. That's way more than the total price for all 3 (avg 40 mpg at avg price of prolly +$2.50, I've spent ~$30,000 on gas alone.) That's spread over nearly 20 years, tho, so not all that bad. Add tires 'n other incidentals, it gets pricey. :D

(My three STs cost me less than $15,000 total.)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Honda makes some great bikes, but their pricing model is ridiculous. There is no way an ST1300 is worth $3k more than a Councours or a FJR, especially when these bikes will outperform the ST in many categories and the FJR comes standard with cruise and TC. Just my 2 cents
Ooo no worries there.... They are not selling here in orange county california. Those bikes wait in the show room a couple years than 12k they are gone. They were selling brand new vfr1200f for 10k 2 years ago. That is without a negotiation. You imagine.
Honda will suffer in the long run, no question. As said before, if they ignore customer opinion long enough they will be fortunate to see their own fall.
They ask 17k for a new vfr1200f now. When the season ends it is going to be 15 after one more year 13-14 it is. The only problem is, honde (st or vfr) is only good as a donkey without the upgrades. So without coughing 2 to 3 more k's bike lacks comfort big time. I mean come on maaannnn....stock seat of an st.... grrrrrr....

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Honda will suffer in the long run, no question. As said before, if they ignore customer opinion long enough they will be fortunate to see their own fall.
Don't think for a minute that the complete loss of our tiny little corner of the motorcycle market would be anything other than a minor annoyance. We're riding a model that sells a few thousand out of 12.5 million units in 2012. Honda's last annual report (relevant excerpt) shows sharp declines of unit sales in Europe, the ST's target market, and North America. Both markets are still trying to claw their way back from a recession, and people aren't buying expensive sport-touring bikes. That's not a good climate for introducing new models. Honda has bigger fish to fry right now, notably Asia, where there's a booming market for basic, small-displacement, two-wheeled transportation.

The only problem is, honde (st or vfr) is only good as a donkey without the upgrades. So without coughing 2 to 3 more k's bike lacks comfort big time. I mean come on maaannnn....stock seat of an st.... grrrrrr....
The stock seats on most motorcycles are pretty awful. The only comfort-related upgrades I've made to my ST in the nine years I've owned it are a $40 beaded seat cover and a $12 cramp buster for the throttle, and I can ride all day when my body allows it. I'm not even sure how I'd spend $2,000 on comfort-related upgrades.

--Mark

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

So Honda's sales have declined in NA and Europe, so why not reverse the decline?? I know it is not easy. But if a company claims to be innovative (such as Honda), they will come through ahead.

All the following is just my opinion... (but I'm not a complete idiot)
I find a common Corporate blight in Honda's annual report (link in the above post): there's the overused statement 'weak demand due to economy'. Presenting a statement such as 'Total Demand fell x%' without seeming to recognize that reduced demand was associated with their current dated, uninspired offering, misses the opportunity. I see similar statements in many comany's annual reports, in effect blaming external conditions while not being innovative. While economic conditions do have affect and can make or break companies, such does not preclude a company from making progress. On the contrary, often the best time to innovate, differentiate, reestablish your product line, and grow market share is during an economic downturn. Honda North America, and Honda Corporate, I see you has having your head in the sand.

I see too often the similar corporate sentiment as an excuse to shareholders when the corporation still has the same opportunity to grow and adapt, even in hard times--every company is in the same difficult economy. I see that us prospective customers are 'telling' Honda to update the ST and "I'll buy one"--many of us are buying other brands now because Honda's offering is stale (with some minor exceptions). To wit, BMW is making new models and updating others, and selling them like snowcones at a county fair on a hot summer's evening into this very same 'weak economy'. [As much as I like to poke fun at BMW and at my wife who drives a BMW, they are doing well.] And so is Yamaha updating their FJR and Kawasaki doing well with their C14. Honda Powersports, wake up or go bye-bye.

End rant. (maybe) :D

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Mark;
I believe there are some misconceptions here and often repeating. First; that is a wrong statement that they are concentrated on small bikes. Than don't make st or goldwing. If you do, do it right so you can sell more. Second; people buying bikes, I see them all the time... They buy cheaper and more capable bikes. More comfortable and more sophisticated. That is why st is not selling. MY FRIEND IN TURKIYE HAS A 125 CC MOTORCYCLE COST 1750 DOLLARS NEW, GOES LIKE PRRRRR AND HAS A GEAR INDICATOR. I don't know if i am clearer enough.
Seat is horrible beads wont do enough in my opinion. Any motorcycle (if you will sit on it) starts from the seat. Seat no good, that motorcycle is crap. Period. Until you change the seat.
3000k is just amount in my opinion, to make an st a real tourer. And here is why;
Heated grips, gear indicator, harder spring and a real rear shock, seat, extra outlet, hid lights, cruise control, handle bar raisers, wind deflectors (for heat).
These are i believe around 3k and they are very necessary.
Ofcourse, there are many nice things there the other manufacturers offering like tc, sound system (bmw) led lights and turn signals and much more... and sadly sometimes for cheaper....
So, everyone here is I believe trying to wake up the sleeping idiot honda st department in a sense... Hopelessly :)

Everytime I see other peoples bikes, I walk around the bike, try to find out needed improvements. BMW is a very hard one. Yamaha and triumph is kind of tough too. St however, no problem there....
I have to say some good too, I believe, reliability, performance, looks (for me), longevity, easy to work on, is the areas honda shines....

Last edited:

In the past decade, BMW have set their sights on technical innovation. Consequently, their bikes are loaded with computer-controlled technology (including CANBUS) which may or may not have any direct benefits for the end-user/owner. My opinion (living on the periphery of the BMW community) is that BMW's underlying motive (or natural consequence) is forcing owners to get their BMWs serviced at BMW dealers because they are becoming impossible to diagnose and fix by DIY owners and small shops. Active suspension control is great, but do we really need it? And do we want to be repairing it when the bike hits 60k miles?

I love my ST13 BECAUSE it is has the RIGHT amount of technology and works well AS A PACKAGE. And I CAN work on it. And it is exceptionally reliable, when compared to my friend's BMWs. It was easy for me to fix my ST13 stock seat - I just repositioned the seat tongue on top of the bar rather than under it, to lift and level the seat approximately 1 inch. The engine and gearbox are well matched and the bike can pull away in second gear and cruise all day in fourth, so who needs a shift indicator? A couple of hair bands make a good 'cruise control'. In my mind, if the ST13 could lose 100 lbs, it would be just about perfect the way it is.

The global recession is changing what people are buying. That's why we are seeing new mid-displacement Honda's that get 75 mpg priced under $10k. That's what people can afford right now. Even if there was a new ST13, I would wait until I found one used for under $10k anyway. So Honda is not making any money off of me. Consequently, I can't blame them for leaving me out of their planning process.

Top Bottom