Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

I believe Honda got blind-sided by the tsunami and it threw their entire schedule into the dumper. Deleting a new model VFR was just the most visible casualty. Did ya know they couldn't get their favorite black paint for a while because that vendor was under water. Literally. Japan, and by extension many of their premier brands, suffered and are still suffering as a result of the disaster.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

That is interesting. Was that Ryan or Paul that you spoke with? I took one of their civilian advanced riding courses in Victoria on my ST13 a few years ago.
I did not speak to a Ryan or Paul. There were three motor officers there from the Traffic Section. I spoke with Sargeant Glen Shiels and Constable Ken Fetherston (the instructor). There was also a Constable Steven Twardy (jr. instructor) who spoke to the group although I did not speak with him personally.

Check out the sargeant here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uskuBub1h8

Bike
ST1300 Pan

I think this gives a good indication, for the UK anyway, why Honda are not putting any investment into upgrading the current ST1300. Total number of new registrations per year...

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/honda_st1300_a#!newreg

Some may be registerd as ST1300 rather than ST1300A (above link); the former which you can search for by entering the title, but even combining the two variants, it still doesn't present a great pipeline for R&D ROI.

That said, it still has a large number registered on the road. BTW, SORN effectively means still owned, but not taxed for road use, so they could be anywhere between a bag of bits on a garage floor, to a virtually brand new bike with minimal miles on the clock.

Cheers

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Please be aware that if you're going to accuse members of this site of being paid shills for Honda, you'll be expected to prove those accusations or be labeled a troll.

--Mark
Wow not only defend to the end but threaten too... Starting with "please be aware.."
Every one has to prove their claim??? Is this a forum or a senate committee hearing?
I write my opinions in a courteous way (as described int the forum rules) you write yours. Everyone will read and have their own opinions. I don't have to prove anything, you do not as well, as long as you do not point an individual specifically. People will decide accordingly, which ever to believe or come up with different ideas or information.

Funny, I don't call anyone any names or adjectives. Why anyone take it on himself if he is not doing it so? When did being a honda employee become something embarrassing?
I do believe unreasonable defense on any honda product (or any other brand) can be explained as I posted before, either there are employees defending or the kid syndrome. Or maybe they are trolls as you bring it out which i didn't think about. However, I REALLY do believe that some of the members here are actually Honda employees. Can I prove it? NO. Does that mean that I am wrong? NO. Can anyone prove otherwise? NO.
And again; I do not point out any individual specifically.

For GlenT; I understand that may be honda doesn't want to keep going with st1300, but evidence is not supporting that. I visited 3 dealers in 3 months and all had 1 of each st1300 and vfr1200 in them, new. That kind of points they produce them more or less. My point is; they did not come up with any sale with vfr1200. As I mentioned they sold them for 9k a year ago. They never had that of a fiasko with st1300. Anyone remembers brand new st1300 for 10k? So that is really ridiculous for honda. All I am saying is the people who claim "st1300 is not selling or market is shallow for it" is DEAD WRONG. I believe honda is making futile decisions. They are not listening the people and their wishes and than they come up with disastrous ends (vfr1200). All other brands are producing, selling, updating their tourers. THERE IS MARKET AND HONDA IS SUCKING AT IT RIGHT NOW. That is the reality in my opinion.
I agree with you on the adventure class and Triumph. They did do the updates very well... Their only lacking part in my opinion is the service cost and availability. I agree that they are lighter and more fun. Also Triumph come up with a very strong engine, performs like a sport bike. Which I am considering it for a purchase. That is the same reason I wrote "if st1300 looses some 60lb it can be a more fun bike". I still believe with the needed updates, st1300 will outperform the vfr1200f for many years. It is a better platform than an vfr1200f in touring purposes.

As a principal, I disregard all statistics, sale reports and such.... If you wonder why please read the book "How to lie with statistics from Darrell Huff"
Most feel that statistics or sale reports are kind of a "proof" but in reality THEY ARE NOT.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Wow not only defend to the end but threaten too... Starting with "please be aware.."
That wording came from my corporate masters in Torrance. Just so you know.

--Mark

STOC #

Interesting to note that the combined model count shows virtually no growth in sales since 2008 for the 1300, while there is ~600 unit growth YOY with the VFR. Couple that with the current 800 unit YOY growth of the NC700X, Honda might be seeing the writing on the wall for their expensive and heavy 1300 (at least in Europe.) I know, they could do the minor tweaks but they are probably putting their contained resources into bikes they know they will sell reasonably well.

BTW, this in no way makes me a Honda apologist. My analysis is my opinion on why I doubt you will ever see another 650 lb sport touring bike from Honda.

STOC #

As a principal, I disregard all statistics, sale reports and such.... If you wonder why please read the book "How to lie with statistics from Darrell Huff"
Most feel that statistics or sale reports are kind of a "proof" but in reality THEY ARE NOT.
Licensed motorcycle counts in the UK are statistical lies?? :confused:

Bike
Vstrom 650

I don't think the vfr1200 is very popular from what I have read on other forums etc, but it's supposed to be a great engine, I think the riding position, small tank etc are some of the things people don't like.
The Crosstourer on the other hand is supposed to be a great bike, VFR1200X to give it it's proper name, don't know if you can get them in the USA though.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner

Watching this is like watching the last two kids selected to play a pick-up game of basketball argue over which one will sit at the end of the bench. I'm just glad the bashing went from the BMW to the VFR :)

The ST is a dying model in a dying riding segment is what I say (not that matters........at least it doesn't to my wife). Twenty years from now this site will have turned into a online spare parts bin and George will be on his sixth 1100......and people will still be talking about the next ST in Honda's future.
Mike

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Watching this is like watching the last two kids selected to play a pick-up game of basketball argue over which one will sit at the end of the bench. I'm just glad the bashing went from the BMW to the VFR :)

The ST is a dying model in a dying riding segment is what I say (not that matters........at least it doesn't to my wife). Twenty years from now this site will have turned into a online spare parts bin and George will be on his sixth 1100......and people will still be talking about the next ST in Honda's future.
Mike
I disagree with the 2nd part of that... This site will evolve or I'll turn off the lights.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: Replacement for ST1300 ?

Joe,

Do you have a set of stats for the make/model of bikes site members are riding . . . I'm curious what the mix is? It's obviously not all Honda ST1100/1300s or even all Hondas.

For me . . . the future is here today and it's this community that's important. I know I'll be welcome regardless of what horse I ride in on. So . . . leave the lights on, please, the site has already evolved!

Shuey

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

This site will evolve or I'll turn off the lights.
Couldn't it evolve into the best online spare parts bin community on the 'net? Just sayin'...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe,

Do you have a set of stats for the make/model of bikes site members are riding . . . I'm curious what the mix is? It's obviously not all Honda ST1100/1300s or even all Hondas.

For me . . . the future is here today and it's this community that's important and I know I'll be welcome regardless of what horse i ride in on.

Shuey

Nope, I have no way of knowing. Doesn't matter in my mind, Sport Touring isn't so much about the bike as it is the ride. ST bikes are more targeted at TOURing on a Sport-like bike but I've seen folks Sport Tour on cruisers, scooters, trikes you name it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Couldn't it evolve into the best online spare parts bin community on the 'net? Just sayin'...
I didn't say that wasn't evolution... LOL

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Nope, I have no way of knowing. Doesn't matter in my mind, Sport Touring isn't so much about the bike as it is the ride. ST bikes are more targeted at TOURing on a Sport-like bike but I've seen folks Sport Tour on cruisers, scooters, trikes you name it.
Amen! Some tend to think a Wing isn't a ST bike... buwahaahahaha! :D

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

It's been tried. Remember the Robin?
I'm interested. Elio looks to be a very well thought out project.

I saw this video on TV a few years back on the Robin. That things was VERY unstable and rolled over with very little effort. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

MPG on the Elio is 49 city, 84 highway but far superior to the Robin safety-wise, which was a disaster on 3 wheels, with no safety features, whatsoever.

Elio has a Blue Chip list of suppliers, but I still do not know exactly who makes the power train. I'd like to do a test ride (drive) next year when production is scheduled to begin. The car in Marshmellow (color) looks kinda' nice.

I'm going to follow Elio's progression; but would need to do a test run before buying one. :D

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

Nope, I have no way of knowing. Doesn't matter in my mind, Sport Touring isn't so much about the bike as it is the ride.
+1. One of my riding buddies is a multi-time IronButt rider. Sometimes he'll ride 1,500 miles in 36 hours on his Goldwing. However, he's also done those rides many times on his CBR1000RR, ZX-14, Connie 14 or BMW S1000RR (he's a surgeon = $$).

Don't ever tell him "this bike or that bike" isn't capable of touring, because he'll quickly prove you wrong.

Top Bottom