Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
ST1300 2004
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Funny, I don't agree with a single thing you wrote.

Not even your emoticon.

ST1300 is lacking on power. It does not look good as the other bikes. It is too heavy, heaviest of all... Has nothing as far as gadgetry except the temperature gauge.
It was not updated for 11 years and no one with the right mind will buy one, brand new. Yes it is reliable (somewhat) and very smooth engine. Comes with 2 side cases which is great.

I will not buy anything heavier than 650 lb ever again. Many people still buying 15$ and up $ bikes, I seen and talk to them. Many people still have money but they don't want to buy an old tank called st1300. :D (I can't prove it but it sounds just about right.)

Even vfr1200f is on the heavy side for a sport bike (how honda thinks of vfr1200f) so maybe v4 is not the engine for bikes. Maybe if they come up with an inline 4 like cbr engine, that will fix the problems??

Bike
03 ST1300 ABS

I love mine, and it is an '03 ABS. I really would be nice to have different foot peg position options however. It is not a show-stopper by any means.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Gentleman's Express: I first heard that term applied to Peter Egan's CB-550 (or was it a 500?). He says it still was one of his favorite bikes.

Oh, looky, a link. :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

It will fly!... oh, wait... wrong thread.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Joe, maybe the delay is a result of Honda engineering a more reliable treadmill.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I'm speechless....

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Gentleman's Express: I first heard that term applied to Peter Egan's CB-550 (or was it a 500?). He says it still was one of his favorite bikes.

Oh, looky, a link. :D
Egan penned that column in 1994. In a quick search I can't find published references but the term "gentlemen's express" was reportedly first used in print by the English writer LJK Setright whose essays and writings appeared in English car and motorcycle magazines in the early 1970's. I owned an MG during most of the 70's and wanted a Jaguar and I remember the term used to describe Jaguars. Setright also used the term to describe BMW motorcycles of that era.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Egan called his The Gentleman's Express. In the article I found, he refers to someone else's a Gentleman's Express.

I've read some Setright in years past, Car & Driver?

Anyway, I think the term should be used for a genre of which the less-than-biggest/fastest/most powerful but good handling, comfortable, and practical would be listed:
Pacific Coast;
CB-500/550-4;
Some of the earlier model BMWs;
Name your poison.

Bike
Vstrom 650

Going off topic kinda,but I think this will probably fit in this thread...
I just done a 400 mile trip and I think the stock seat has to go,even taking breaks often that seat is uncomfortable,I definitely wouldn't fancy doing 2000 miles+ on it in a week.respect to you guys who such long distance stuff.
Muscles at the shoulder blades also sore,tried widening my grip on the bars,maybe bar risers would help,not sure though,maybe the width of the bars is an issue.
I actually find my vfr less tiring,which is strange looking as the riding postion on the vfr is more hunched forward,knees more bent.
I think the weight of the pan is tiring in itself,wouldn't like to have been 2up going through Connemara today.going to have to see if maybe a vstrom or a crosstourer could be the solution.or maybe just add a givi rack to the vfr,only good for solo touring though,the vfr seems overloaded 2up,but then I weigh around 245lbs.
Definitely need less weight,300 kg+ bike is tiring exploring the back roads here,great bike for the US highways though I'm sure.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Egan called his The Gentleman's Express. In the article I found, he refers to someone else's a Gentleman's Express.

Anyway, I think the term should be used for a genre of which the less-than-biggest/fastest/most powerful but good handling, comfortable, and practical would be listed:
Pacific Coast;
CB-500/550-4;
Name your poison.
All agreed. Twice I was tempted to buy a CB500 a few years ago. The first one got away while I was thinking it over for a few days. I had the money in my pocket to buy the second one and when I knocked on the guy's door a few hours after first looking at the bike he said it was sold and gone right after I left to go to the bank to get the money.

I also remember a wag saying the Honda 500 Four didn't make enough torque "to pull a sick ***** into bed". It all depends on where you are standing I suppose. I think it is a great old Honda but I got over my classic four cylinder lust and am happy to take care of one old single at a time.

Bike
ST1300

I recently talked to a purchasing agent of a large city who oversees the purchase, repair, and maintenance of all city vehicles including an ST 1300 police bike fleet. They were selling some 2006 bikes and replacing them with new ones. He said Honda was making only 100 of them, not enough for demand, but they had dibs on a few of them and wasn't sure if they would even be able to get any. A Honda dealer told me that Honda was in a rush to build some more police bikes, also. I got the feeling that Honda hadn't planned on making any more ST 1300Ps, but had to make some to satisfy demand. I don't know what this means, if anything, or even that it is factual for that matter. Anyway, I found it interesting.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #

Pacific Coast;
CB-500/550-4;
Name your poison.
As a proud owner of a Pacific Coast, I kinda like that expression. Thanks George. :)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Funny, I don't agree with a single thing you wrote.

Not even your emoticon.
That is the beauty of this forum, you are not obligated to... Not yet :D
People read the posts and than they question the things they read.... (hopefully).. than they give their own decisions about them.
For a sport bike vfr1200f is heavy, for the canyon carvers.... if you compare it with goldwing it is light i guess... I am not too sure though..
If you like 2 up than goldwing might be your thing but I don't 2 up so 650 is my limit... for now at least... future might show who knows what.
Tourers like concourus fjr r1200rt ducati tourer or even motoguzzi , st1300 is the heaviest.. weather you agree or not...
But hey, by all means, my friends truck is heavier than the st1300, you got me there... ;)

Last edited:

As a proud owner of a Pacific Coast, I kinda like that expression. Thanks George. :)
A long-time member of our beemer club 'retired' to a Suzuki Burgman a few years ago (at age 80) and he referred to it as a 'gentlemen's motorcycle' -- spacious, comfortable, and no shifting required.

[QUOTE;1679174]Those of us that remember fireball xl5....there is a replacement for the ST, a flying bike....[/QUOTE]A flying three-wheeled motorcycle is going to be featured in today's Daily Planet show on the Discovery Channel (at least on the Canadian network version). It kinda looks like a three wheeled BMW C3 with gyrocopter blades.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

Pacific Coast;
CB-500/550-4;
Name your poison.
Add the Suzuki Bandit. Its name and looks (especially the latest GSX1250FA) suggest otherwise, yet it is very tame and smooth, configured to make power down low and very usable in real street applications. $ for $, many feel it's the best value offered in the 'ST' market. The new FJR may change their minds though :)

[QUOTE;1680066]Bikes are like women/guys (politically correct) each one has their own tastes. [/QUOTE]Don't forget low maintenance. I'm lucky that both my bikes and my wives are low maintenance ;)

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

Don't forget low maintenance. I'm lucky that both my bikes and my wives are low maintenance ;)
It doesn't matter how low maintenance they are if you have more than one wife.

Bike
FJR1300

Seems Motorcyclist magazine is getting around to asking the same question posed by this thread. In their November 2013, page 10, writer Ben Purvis asks when will we see Honda's high-tech sport tourer? (What does he mean by that?) Purvis reminds us that the VFR1200T was originally intended for release in 2010 as the second in a trio (the third was the VFR1200X Crosstourer) before the global financial crisis and subsequent market fallout that put the touring bike on indefinite hold. Purvis states that another round of recent leaked patent pictures have the bike world buzzing about the as-of-yet announced release of this model. Purvis then goes on to discuss the apparently well known design details and some of the standard options. It was nothing we haven't discussed here but for the mention of a hidden impact-absorbing "bumper", per the associated patent paperwork, as well as a more advanced air bag system beyond that of the Gold Wing. Another newish detail was the incorporation of some type of cylinder deactivation technology rumored to allow a 30 percent reduction in fuel consumption, presumably for those tourers who wish to utilize the system. Purvis contends Honda will eventually need to replace its age-old ST1300 and that it's the job of what this [new] bike was designed to do. No recent "patent picture" was posted, just the rendering for this model from '09 but Purvis claims these (unseen by me) patent photos indicate the new model's design is essentially finalized and suggests consumers might be shown this model for the first this coming fall. Perhaps he's privy to information that we are not but I remain skeptical. Is the VFR1200"T" the intended replacement for ST1300? Would tricking-out a VFR with some new tech really be enough (for us)? Is the "buzz" for real or just talk? Is Honda finally prepared to reveal the ST's successor or keep the status quo?

:popcorn

Top Bottom