Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

If Honda's next sport tourer, i.e. ST1300 replacement, has cylinder deactivation and an air bag system I doubt I'll be buying it. I don't find my ST to be a gas guzzler, nor do I feel physically at risk when I ride (or I wouldn't be riding) so why would I pay additional money for these "high tech" features? I hope Honda keeps it simple, retains the V4 engine while adding a few more ponies, modifies the seating position and seat, adds electronic cruise and puts the beast on a diet.

Bike
2006 ST1300

I'll also skip the airbags but I'd sure take an increase in MPG. 36 on the highway is pitiful.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

36 on the highway is pitiful.
Good gravy... I grouse about getting that around town. I get almost 50 out on the road and got more than that before they started putting [-]saltpeter[/-] ethanol in the fuel.

--Mark

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

My commute 10 stopNgo 35 highway works out to 42mpg. The dash guesser puts it at 38 and change.
If it ever saw the suggested speed limit I'd guess upper 40s.
Corn squeeze is a given in NJ.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

I just got back from a @2700 mile trip and every time I fill up with gas I check mileage and driving on the slab at 65-80 mph, I average 51 mpg. Every fill up my friend and I compared consumption between his FJR and my ST1300--- I always used between 0.5-0.7 gallons less every time. I have the K&N filter and Staintune exhaust and did notice my fuel consumption decrease considerably with those mods.

The original MCN article talked about the VFR1200T as being the 'most advanced sport-touring motorcycle' ever made. But that was relative to what was on the market in 2009. The drawings suggest that the extended nose contained a sub-frame with an airbag system, which was relatively new in the Gold Wing four or five years ago. But I wonder how many people actually pony up the extra cash for the air bag version of the GW? If nothing else, it just adds weight to the bike in the wrong places. And wearable airbag systems are a now becoming available, which would be a lot more effect when the rider is separated from the motorcycle.

I would expect that things like electronic suspension adjustment were probably not contemplated when the VFR1200T was being designed eight or so years ago. Now, Honda would have to add that stuff on to catch up with the FJR and others, pushing the weight (and price) up again.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

If Honda's next sport tourer, i.e. ST1300 replacement, has cylinder deactivation and an air bag system I doubt I'll be buying it. I don't find my ST to be a gas guzzler, nor do I feel physically at risk when I ride (or I wouldn't be riding) so why would I pay additional money for these "high tech" features? I hope Honda keeps it simple, retains the V4 engine while adding a few more ponies, modifies the seating position and seat, adds electronic cruise and puts the beast on a diet.
I agree, although there is data to support the value of the air bag. The cylinder deactivation isn't something my typical riding style or environments would benefit from, all it represents to me is additional cost and potentially one more thing to fail. For now I'm enjoying simple, even primitive when measured by those who define ST bikes as having elec. screens and shaft drive, sub 600 lb ABS equipped mount which effectively does everything (or more?) my far more sophisticate (=complicated) previous rides did. How much technology is enough, or too much? I would certainly welcome, and enjoy another ride with shaft drive, electric screen, and even traction control; but it would be great to find those basic elements in a bike that is more reasonably priced, and not unnecessarily complicated. Right now by my measure, the new FJR is as close as it gets, and likely close enough when the next transition is made if nothing else comes to market to compete with it. If Honda brings something new, I fear it will be overkill for my needs, I'm not holding my breath.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300

On the roads I love, fifth gear is not used a lot so that will bring my millage down to around 40 mpg. When cruising around 60/65 I have no problem averaging over 50 mpg. I have five inches cut off my stock shield, no top case, travel light and I am 175lbs. Darn good for a bike this heavy and with this much power!

Ed

In the post#1219 quoting a Mr. Ben Purvis in article of Motorcyclist, November 2013...I quit reading his article about the possible vfr1200 replacement for our ST1300 when he stated...that an advantage of the vfr1200 model would have DETACHABLE BAGS...which he states out ST1300's DO NOT!...Then how did I get the bags into my house...while my ST1300 remains in garage?...Mr. Purvis must not be around many ST1300's...even one?:confused::03biker:

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

In the post#1219 quoting a Mr. Ben Purvis in article of Motorcyclist, November 2013...I quit reading his article about the possible vfr1200 replacement for our ST1300 when he stated...that an advantage of the vfr1200 model would have DETACHABLE BAGS...which he states out ST1300's DO NOT!...Then how did I get the bags into my house...while my ST1300 remains in garage?...Mr. Purvis must not be around many ST1300's...even one?:confused::03biker:

Someone must have slipped him a re-badged PC8 :)

Or, he's clueless, as too many modern 'journalists' have proven to be.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

I wonder if he's referring to the fact that the ST is obviously not designed to be ridden without the bags?

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

If the claims are true (air bag,cylinder deactivation, most advanced touring bike.....) than Honda is doing it again.... Doing what they want but not what buyers want. They will pay the price AGAIN!
I never heard from anyone who want a air bag on a bike. No one desired (at least verbalized it) a cylinder deactivation either.
I strongly believe some spies from other bike companies penetrated honda factories and riding honda to the grave.... ;)
If they can just make a reliable tourer around 640lb with simple cruise control, heated grips, adjustable windshield, decent side bags, ready back box platform, good seating position with a decent seat, abs and traction control around 130hb that is all people want. Ooo and a couple electric outlets.
I can not imagine if by error that air bag blows while riding... there goes the rider and the wifey......
If the claims are true, I will LOVE to watch those bikes pricing down from 20k to 8k just like VFR1200F did in 2010 and 2011.....

Bike
Vstrom 650

I thought there were air bags on bikes already? No, LOL maybe its just on bike forums then.:)
I don't think there's gona be a replacement in 2014,more likely 2015 at this stage if it's gona happen at all.

Bike
'15 FJR ES

The GoldWing has had an airbag option for a few years now. No reports of them blowing up for no reason. For that matter, I have not had any issues with the air bags just blowing up in any of my automobiles either.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT

I just visited my Honda dealer today. Got an oil change to get ready for FL-STOC. We got to talking and he noted that Honda is due to release 3 new bikes in November. He thinks one will be a 300 CBR but doesn't know what the other two will be. Guess we will have to wait and see. 1000cc CrossTour? What else would Honda be coming out with in November?

JohnConner
:rd13:
:usflag1:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
They will pay the price AGAIN! ... I strongly believe some spies from other bike companies penetrated honda factories and riding honda to the grave.... ;)
I must not be reading the same annual reports you are. What price has Honda paid for its transgressions?

--Mark

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

No one desired (at least verbalized it) a cylinder deactivation either.
I suspect not many verbalized it for the new Corvette either but that didn't stop Chevy. When done right, you'd never know it was activated, except later at the gas pump...

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #

I just visited my Honda dealer today. Got an oil change to get ready for FL-STOC. We got to talking and he noted that Honda is due to release 3 new bikes in November. He thinks one will be a 300 CBR but doesn't know what the other two will be. Guess we will have to wait and see. 1000cc CrossTour? What else would Honda be coming out with in November?

JohnConner
:rd13:
:usflag1:
CBR300 was just written up in Motorcycledaily.com.

I predict that the 2014 ST1300 will be introduced with two-tone paint! For 2015, they will reverse the color scheme!

Bike
2006 ST1300

I suspect not many verbalized it for the new Corvette either but that didn't stop Chevy. When done right, you'd never know it was activated, except later at the gas pump...
Want to guess how many are failing? My area didn't have many Vettes, but lots of Silverados with the same technology on the 5.3. Even in our small rural dealership we had three in the shop at the same time getting cam & lifter replacements. The one I started with had 15k miles on it.

Fortunately Honda would probably do a much better job of it. I would still rather they improve MPG with tuning instead of over complicated gadgets.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom