Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

Well said Chuck. (Did you sell your NT?) "Why haven't you bought a new bike ... what are you waiting for?!"
:D
Nope still have the NT. If a FJR ever finds it's way into the garage, the ST and the NT will go away. The FJR, weight wise, falls right in between the two Hondas.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Don't worry... I have a feeling Honda will get around to us.. just gotta be patient.. then again, that's something I'm not - obviously.. LOL

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #

Well said Chuck. (Did you sell your NT?) I'm pro-Honda, but they better get in gear if they want to retain me as a Honda owner--I have been contemplating upgrading for several years and have been patient hoping Ma Honda would come through, but I'm about done waiting. Just yesterday my wife says, "Why haven't you bought a new bike ... what are you waiting for?!"
:D
I'm just about ready to take my buddy up on test riding his 2013 K1600GTL. I fear it will result in my 2005 ST1300 being up for sale shortly afterwards. Don't see anything in the Honda stable that compares. I can't figure out if they're trying to take away market share from competitors with their latest models or trying to prevent competitors from taking away market share from them by giving Honda loyalists bagger and cruiser-ish models. I added non-Honda brands over the past few years, but have never not had a Honda for 30+ years. 2014 could break that streak.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

I still have a bunch of Hondas in the garage , but after the wing the newest is an '83!

Bike
2004 GL1800

After looking over the new.... but not improved...possible replacement for the ST1300- I come away with these comments

1) Long distance riding as you know it with an ST1300 only requires a slight 3.8 more gallons to reach a max of 11.5gallons for the serious IBR...with the newer bike only having a 5.1 tank, that would require a fuel cell of 6.4 gallons or about
50 lbs to place it somewhere without changing the handling would be a trick

2)the compression ration is dropped from about 10.8/1 to an even 10.0/1...while that may make it easier to run on low octane pump gas..it may translate to less power but a little better mileage(broad paint brush strokes) .

3) integrated bags...like the NT700....it doesn't say anything to me as being the same as removable bags and they may be smaller...their ad says...some full face helmets may fit...im sure that excludes a XL

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Hondo could drop the ST completely this time around. There's no doubt in my mind that they didn't intend to replace it with the CTX. A door closes for us another one opens but it's for somebody else.

The CTX is meant for a different rider. They said as much in their ad and video. There maybe something later this month that Honda is aiming at ST riders looking for a new and improved ST. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't get why people think that using the ST's engine means the bike is a replacement. The F6B didn't replace the GoldWing. The CTX1300 isn't replacing anything whether or not Honda continues with the ST.

Honda is supposed to introduce 8 new models later this month? They just might have something just for ST riders. If they don't I'm sure there will be a lot of complaints. If they do I'm sure there'll still be lots of complaints.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

There's no doubt in my mind that they didn't intend to replace it with the CTX.
+1, everyone keeps assuming just because it has a version of the ST1300 motor it's the replacement.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

+1, everyone keeps assuming just because it has a version of the ST1300 motor it's the replacement.
Not everyone - I think it's meant as more of a joke. I for one, find it mind bending that it took this long for that engine design to be purposed in another platform. Could changing times be redirecting Honda's priorities towards a more conventional, block and tackle approach to design/manufacturing?

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

My bad... didn't really mean everyone.. just a lot of comments so I meant a few or many.. LOL

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

My bad... didn't really mean everyone.. just a lot of comments so I meant a few or many.. LOL
Joe, most people didn't "think" the CTX 1300 was a replacement for the ST 1300, they were/are afraid it will be the only replacement available.

Last edited:

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

I wouldn't doubt that there are those within Honda, with a slightly twisted sense of humor, who predicted and somewhat enjoy the treacherous cycle of speculation and banter this product has brought to this audience ;)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I wouldn't doubt that there are those within Honda, with a slightly twisted sense of humor, who predicted and somewhat enjoy the treacherous cycle of speculation and banter this product has brought to this audience ;)
You're probably more right about that than you know. I've been on that side of the fence, and while the speculators sometimes get it right, more often than not they're way out in left field.

--Mark

Maybe Honda isn't far off in their thinking. It seems like most ST13 owners are more into touring than sport riding and value the long-distance aspects of the ST13 more than its sporting abilities. Yet, the quicker steering and inherent instability of the ST13 in dirty air takes away from that purpose. On the other hand, the ST13 is really heavier than what people would chose for a more sporting bike.

The vast majority of comments that I get from people who are interested in my ST13, was from Gold Wing owners who are looking for something lighter. In that context a gender reasignment of the ST13 guts to the CTX13 may make sense for the touring buyer (looks aside). I'm getting used to the looks of the CTX13. And it took a while for me to get used to looks of the ST13. My original first choice on looks was the ST11.

I still think that if there is a new sport tourer, then it will be more sporting than the ST13 is/was. And it make more sense that the VFR1200T would see the light of day, then an updated ST13. So maybe there will be two bikes, one more sporting and one more touring, to replace the ST13.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #

The new FJR looks like a very nice sport tourer. Nicely equipped, good fit and finish. But I'm 6'3" and 57 years old and dont bend as well as I did years ago so the. FJR is just too small for me. The Connie is fast and handles well, but my biggest impression of it after my demo rides is that it gave me a feeling it was unrefined...more a cleaver than a surgeons blade.

I am still hoping a new ST is announced soon or 2015 may be the year I buy my first BMW... either a new RT or a GS or GSA. K1600's are very nice, but I'd rather make the move to a little lighter than heavier....I sold my GL1800a after taking a demo ride on an ST1300....lighter and more leg room won out.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

You are making a very good synthesis Tricky. At my eyes, the 1300 Honda still remains the best quality price machine of it's category. So fun to drive, so light ans powerfull. Place for pillion and camping stuff. Capable of infinite service to the end of the world for very cheap maintenance price. So. Just enjoy and be happy, saving money on the GT1600, that presents a big transmission problem. Driving a tractor is fun in the field. But changing speed by kicking the shift pedal is not a pleasant perspective at that price.

Now my baby sleeps in the garage. And my skis are just trying to make me less sorry... until snow melts, which comes earlier each year, with climate change.

The new FJR looks like a very nice sport tourer. Nicely equipped, good fit and finish. But I'm 6'3" and 57 years old and dont bend as well as I did years ago so the. FJR is just too small for me. The Connie is fast and handles well, but my biggest impression of it after my demo rides is that it gave me a feeling it was unrefined...more a cleaver than a surgeons blade.

I am still hoping a new ST is announced soon or 2015 may be the year I buy my first BMW... either a new RT or a GS or GSA. K1600's are very nice, but I'd rather make the move to a little lighter than heavier....I sold my GL1800a after taking a demo ride on an ST1300....lighter and more leg room won out.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

There is no new or updated ST1300 for now, lets be honest. Even the crosstourer has not been introduced to USA market. No one knows why, just speculations. So like it and take it or leave it. If it drops for a really good sale price it is worth to get the st1300 and spend the extra cash on upgrades. Even for 14k it is hard for St1300 to compete with others in my opinion, but hay,,, beauty is in the eye of the rider..

Does anyone know of a product that can be fitted to the rear of the bike when the panniers are taken off to make the ST1300 look better?

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #

It's called the FJR! Saw the new 14 at the recent show-he took the bags off with ease and you would never have known it had bags on it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Bike
'15 FJR ES

BakerBoy is correct on all counts. The company is still in business but no longer sells this product as far as I know. The "look" was not pretty.

Top Bottom