Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

;)

Tons of fun, I call it!

Yea...although I wish the Wing had an electronic adjustable windscreen. They make an aftermarket windshield kit for the Wing, but the front part of the motor "lever" is on the outside. It looks hideous. The Traxxion set-up does make a dramatic difference in how it rides. The stock suspension on the Wing is quite poor considering the price of the bike. The front suspension is strange with a wacky anti-dive feature, many folks will disable it for improved front-end performance. I bought a used one for a steal that was about 5 years old that only had about 3,500 miles on it. It sat in the garage of some dude's house for a long time. All the fluids required multiple flushings, especially the brake fluid.

The only challenge right now, is trying to fit an expresso machine on the display console of the Wing.

I did see the new Honda FB6 Wing bagster style and they were only able to shave off 62 pounds of weight by taking off a few goodies like the reverse gear and top case and something else I can't quite remember. That tiny windscreen on the FB6 will be brutal on a windy Texas day.

Last edited:

Since writing the article on the new model likely to be introduced to replace the ST1300 in 2014, Triumph has launched the Trophy SE. Triumph started working on the development of in 2007 and has clearly produced a state of the art sports tourer to compete with the BMW R1200 RT, ST1300, Concourse, and FJ1300.

Simon Warburton, Triumph Project Manager said, ?When we started we looked at the Pan European, the R1200RT and the FJ1300 because in 2007 those were the three best in the class. As we always do we evaluate them, work out what are the best bits of the best bikes, and try to beat them? (Two Wheels, January 2013, p.14).

Interestingly, Triumph decided to incorporate many of the features that I suggested should be incorporated in Honda?s upgrade of the ST1300. As well as this, Triumph obviously likes the styling of the ST since the Trophy looks a lot like the ST when viewed from the front.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/09/07/2013-triumph-trophy-1200-se-first-ride-review/
When I was at the local motorcycle show in January, I went and lined up to sit on the new Trophy. When I told sales guy that I was an ST1300 owner, he said "You are about the 8th ST13 owner this morning to sit on this bike." I get the feeling that ST owners are getting tired of waiting.

Bike
BMW K1600GT

If you took the innovations/power of the BMW K1600 and the reliability/endurance of the ST1300 and merged them together; you would have the perfect ride.

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3

If you took the innovations/power of the BMW K1600 and the reliability/endurance of the ST1300 and merged them together; you would have the perfect ride.
I would say the ultimate ST bike would be the BMW RT1200 with the ST1300 engine/tranny and of course Honda reliability. The RT is a great bike but the boxer engine is too rough for me.

Bike
BMW K1600GT

BMW has somewhat taken a play from the Honda playbook in that they now have factory crash bars. There are a number of aftermarket bars also avail that provide good protection to the tupperware in the event of a drop. I hope Honda has something in the works that will make this very long wait worth it.

STOC #

Interesting thread...
My money is on what is honda gonna do about it's police bike market... Both 1100 and 1300 had a police bike segment... If No ST NNNN then what??

Hummmmm
mitch

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3

RIP my good friend Motorcycle Larry. His tip-over bars and foot blades are great!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

I view the GL updates as rather lame. Facelift on a budget as they didn't want to spend any real money. They could have done a lot in the suspension department, but no. And the ST is 10 years old....... Having said that, there is no real need to totally redesign the bike. Take a lesson from Yamaha and Kawasaki?

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3

It seems the large "dual-sport" bike is where development is being pointed at. The Honda Cross-Tourer looks like a beast of an engine and most of the reviews have been excellent.

18748.jpg

A new ST1300 with a VFR1200 "like" engine but still retaining the ST13's upright comfort in the works eventually?

The new 2013 FJR now has cruise control and a few other helpful features.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300ABS

Since writing the article I have read a lot of reviews of a wide range of models that have been released during the past couple of years. It is obvious that compared to its major competitors (BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha and Ducati), Honda is investing less in research and development in its motorcycle division. Perhaps it's putting its primary emphasis on its cars. Most other Sports Tourers (and Adventure Bikes) now have more sophisticated electronics packages than the ST1300.

But I still love my ST1300 because the longitudinally mounted V4 gives the bike a wonderful character (I previously owned a CX Honda and that was my all time favourite bike prior to the ST), it handles really well and feels like a sports bike when you take off the the panniers and topbox, the brakes are great, and the aerodynamics are superb.

If Honda dumps the longitudinally mounted V4 then it will in effect be discontinuing the ST line. If, on the hand, it retains and further develops this engine, plus adds all of the current electronic advances and incrementally improves the rest of the bike- it will have created the best sport tourer on the market for the intelligent and thinking motorcylist. It will also have given me powerful motivation to spend money upgrading to the new model. Stick a VRF engine in the ST's replacement then I'll happily turn retro.:)

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

There is just such a thing out there but we lowly Americans are not worthy.

Honda Crossrunner

They would probably only sell 2 or 3 of them if they brought it stateside. George would be first on the list.

Upright ergos, proven, magnificent engine, suspension is good as per reviews, travel bags available, light, etc.

CROSSRUNNER-10.jpg
I would trade my NT700V for one of these. In the color Red of course. I am getting a bit bored with silver and gray.

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Re: Replacement or Refinement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

If they do decide to discontinue the ST line and just modify the VFR, there will be many loyal ST owners who will respond by happily holding on to their existing bikes. I?ll look forward to continuing sharing the joys of ST riding with you folks :), and bid farewell to those VFR bound...
I think you should ride a VFR1200 to see what kind of engine it is....totally different than the VFR800 and has the power of the ST1300 when you goose it. I've ridden about a 1000 miles on one now (last two days) and I really like the engine (and the DCT...especially if you paddle shift instead of using the AutoTrans). Keep an open mind...and more importantly, try one before you make up your mind. Change can be difficult, but sometimes it can be better. What will happen with the ST, I guess we will have to wait and find out! Cheers from Duluth MN

Bike
06 ST1300

i think they'll kill the ST name and go with the vfr1200t which will have an msrp of 22k and have a range of 190 miles. if this get announced im going to scramble to find a leftover ST and snatch it up for 13.5k, lol

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200

i think they'll kill the ST name and go with the vfr1200t which will have an msrp of 22k and have a range of 190 miles. if this get announced im going to scramble to find a leftover ST and snatch it up for 13.5k, lol
You may be on to something here ... I wouldn't bet against you. Sounds like a plan.

Bike
2006 ST1300

I'll repeat what I've said before...

-Engine: I, for one, don't need more power. How about a bit of tweaking to get better MPG out of it? 40mpg on the highway is silly for a long distance motorcycle. BMW and most others beat it. I can cruise at 70mph in many cages and do better than my ST does. I love the smoothness of the V-4, and the electric-motor like power. Keep it longitudinal. Honda is different...stay that way. Add a 6th gear.

-Suspension: Some tweaking, maybe electronic adjustable suspension to bring it up to current standards.

-Accessories: Offer what the competition has- heated grips, power outlets standard, cruise control, maybe a real gear indicator. Do NOT offer a factory GPS...I don't want to pay a premium for a unit that will be outdated in a few years and isn't upgrade-able. Let the aftermarket cover this.

There is more good than bad with the current ST, I say tweak what needs to be done to make it modern. I don't want a sportbike with luggage...there is the VFR for that. I don't want a bike the size of a car- otherwise I'd buy a wing. Offer us a bike with sporty performance, decent economy, and touring features.

Big fan of Honda in past with ST's both 1100 & 1300 over 100k worth. Look at history of H (Honda). For most of life they have made things the public wants. At this time it isn't what we the fans of ST's like to hear, but as with the recent intro of the 500 and 700 CC bikes this is the path they are taking, because the GLOBAL demand is there, not just here in states. Japan and USA both had 54k units sold in 2012. Asia had 2741k units same period and S. America and Africa had combined 550k units in '12. Right now here the Cbr250r is one of the USA biggest seller for Honda. Scooters are taking off like hot cakes in the metro areas which attribute (unfortunately ) to the sales as much as we don't want to believe this. So, they are shifting production and design towards this for the future. I now am riding the Yamaha Super Tenere, and also wish H would bring the CrossTourer here in this growing age of Adv Touring.

Jeff Haar
2012 Super Tenere
Issaquah, WA

Bike
ST1300

I don't understand the need for a 6th gear on this bike. With the current 5 speed it is way below what my k13gt was revving on the highway. Coming from a list of BMWs that I owned I love the ST. Aerodynamics are great as well as the engine and trans. The only thing i liked more on the BMWs was the brakes and suspension .
For the price I paid for the ST I am loving it. The BMWs never left me stranded but did leave me wondering often. Had hot start issues and multiple switches go bad hours from home which left the windscreen down in a rain storm.
I stepped away from the brand and so far I'm happy I did. When they get there stuff straight I will probably go back. But for now riding less expensive bikes and not worrying about them is fantastic for me.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed

the bags don't hit in a tip over, I've dropped mine numerous times, no damage

Top Bottom