Replacement Header Pipes For A ST1100

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
"...as non really fitted properly (I recall endless woes about the Motard sets...)...."

I had a lot of fitting problems with Motad pipes. - No wonder they went bust....

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
"...as non really fitted properly (I recall endless woes about the Motard sets...)...."
I had a lot of fitting problems with Motad pipes. - No wonder they went bust....
That's what really surprised me with the Delkevic pipes - they bolted right up and had everything in the correct place.
You just had to put them together a little loose and then once in place, tighten everything up.
The exhaust shields, hangers, existing silencers, etc. all bolted right up with no hassle at all (and I've done two of them now).

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Got the belt and pulleys replaced. 51 teeth took a bit of effort to attain but with the tensioner fully retracted, the belt went right on. Trimmed the crank "opening" as suggested.

Although the "old" belt had been replaced about 45K miles ago, it was also 18 years ago!! The new belt is clearly more pliable, particularly the teeth. The upper surface on the old (Honda OEM) belt was ok compared to the teeth. No cracks or anything like that. As I was putting it back together, I mused about the gaskets on the belt and pulley covers. Are these typically replaced or perhaps a smear of silicone gasket? They don't seem to protrude much beyond the surface. It looks like the PO had the thin layer of silicone gasket.
Thanks for all the valuable input. I appreciate your time.
Mark
I replaced my timing belt at just over 14000 miles. Just bought the bike, a 20+ year garage queen. My concern was age, having restored several 1978 GL1000's. The area was new in appearance and the belt certainly looked new, not hard, cracked and not any evidence of ply separation. Probably didn't need a change but at that point it was 24 years old.

Top Bottom