Ride Report - Michelin Pilot Road 2 (Dual Compound)

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I recently put the Michelin Pilot Road 2s on my bike and have ridden them for about 5,000 mi. now. They are amazing!

First, I have never ridden a tire that requires less steering input. The ST takes no effort to drop into a turn and straighten out again. The real danger is applying too much input because these tires can't wait to change direction. Especially when they were new, the bike felt like it was "falling" into the turn and it was a bit unnerving. But over time, the tires settled down.

Second, the softer compound on the sides of the tires makes them real sticky in the turns. Without even trying, I'm noticing far steeper lean angles, higher cornering speed and a solid, confidence-inspiring grip in the turns. It is a real pleasure to roll off the center of the tire onto its side, because you can really feel the extra grip when you lean and corner.

Although I only have about 5,000 mi. on these "new" tires, tire wear seems to be pretty good. Usually, by 5000 mi. I am at the end of the useful life of a tire. But the PR2s are just beginning to show some wear and appear to have plenty of life left in them. I am not close to the wear bars and the rear tire has not flattened out yet.

In terms of tread wear, I was pleased to see pretty even wear across the tire. I am guessing that's because of two factors: One, the center line is made of a harder, longer-lasting compound that holds up well on the highway, and two,
I ride a lot more on the softer side compound because of the way the bike likes to lean in the turns. The result is a more even wear pattern.

Unlike my mild weather riding here in SoCal, on my recent road trip I rode through the desert (106 degrees) and through torrential rains. The tires held so well in the rain that I had to keep reminding my self to slow down. No slips or surprises.

I really love these tires and they will definitely be my first choice when it comes time to replace them. I just got back from a 3,000 road trip through lots of highway and twisty mountain riding and they performed well in every way.

The only negative I can report is actually one of the tire's attributes. When these tires are new, they feel a bit squirrely and take some getting used to. Once, when I was standing flat-footed at a stop light, it felt like the wind was going to knock me over. But after a little breaking in, you learn to appreciate how little effort is required to initiate a turn.

Highly Recommended.

Mandel.

Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
Mandel, Thanks for the report on the Michlen dual compounds. My 08 now is going on 13,000 and I will need tires shortly. The rear has the flat spot to the extent you can feel the roll off and the front is getting close to the bars. I was looking at that tire and glad to see some info on it. I got a price of about $169 for the front installed by phone so I will check on getting front and rear. Hope he was talking about the same tire I was asking about. :biker: Rob

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I just put a set on my sons ST1100 yesterday, and I like the feel of these tires a lot. We'll be taking off on a 4K mile trip in 2 weeks, I can see how they wear.
The only negative I have is that Michelin doesn't put balance marks on their tires. After the install yesterday, I can confirm their tires have heavy spots.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
I had well over 13K on mine when I replaced them a couple of weeks ago. Pretty sure they would have gone another 1000+ miles before hitting the wear bars. Your are correct about the way they handle in rain.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I am getting my second set of PR2 this week. The tires very close to the wear bars in the center. We get accustomed to the tires as they were down but I have more tread on the sides, which is what I used this past weekend. If I judged tire wear be performence I would say I had new tires. The OEM Dunlap 220 & Battlax 021 fell of bad at the end. Cupping & whine on the 220. Cupping on the 021. If I inspect the PR2 there is some cupping but I can't feal it while riding. I got 11,000 miles on the PR2. I might have left them on longer if only taking day rides but I hope to ride the ST on a business trip to Front Royal Va. About 300 miles each way.

Can we get the center of our PR2s recycled to make more tires Lanman and I always seem to have almost all of the center tread intact and all of the side tread gone!!:D::p::D:p::D

FireSporT

Team Colorado
Bike
03 ST 1300
STOC #
Mandel,

Good Post. I have a newer set of PR2's and you're right on about the squirrely feeling when you first get them. I was really unnerved when going into a corner, like the tire was overinflated (they were at 42 psi). I rode back from Albq to CO in the rain and they handled great. Your right in that I may actually go to fast because they felt so good in the rain.

I hope to get used to them as you did.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
OP
Mandel
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Yeah Rob. We don't usually get rain here in SoCal so I never had to ride through the heavy stuff before. It made no difference with these tires.

Mandel

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've been running a PR2 rear for a couple of thousand miles and just got the front put on today. I only rode it back home about 30 miles on slab (no twisties) so I can't report how it feels in the curves yet.

I'm probably going to order my second set tomorrow, but still haven't totally decided. Here is the story on mine.

1. 90% of my riding is done two up on the ST. I weigh in at 195 lbs and she is apporx. 115 lbs.
2. Tire pressure is kept at approx. 40 to 41 psi cold
3. I ride the ST fairly hard. Not as hard as my sportbike or trackbike, but probably a lot more aggressive than most on here.
4. I now have 4500 miles on the tires and they are shot. I may have another 200 to 300 miles left.......but that is it.
5. Grip in the rain is very good.
6. Side grip is good when the tires are up to temp, but I have broke the rear loose several times........they are at least predictable and don't just let go and low side you.

I was certainly hoping for at least 6K miles on the center portion of the tire and with any luck.....7 or 8K, but that isn't the case. I'm still torn on whether or not to buy another pair or try something else out on the ST.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Is anyone experiencing scalloping like I am? These tires have about 3000 miles on them and they are scalloping something fierce.

I'm 170+ and do some two up riding 125+. I've seen others with the same issue. The tires are even noisier than the regular PR's once you get a little off of center with them or your cornering.

I can't figure out if this is bad or not but it's making me nervous as I'm considering these tires for an LD run in a month or so. I'm looking for opinions on this. I like the ride and the handling of them but if they are flaring after 3000 what are they going to look like at 10000.

Curt

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
Is anyone experiencing scalloping like I am? These tires have about 3000 miles on them and they are scalloping something fierce.

I'm 170+ and do some two up riding 125+. I've seen others with the same issue. The tires are even noisier than the regular PR's once you get a little off of center with them or your cornering.

I can't figure out if this is bad or not but it's making me nervous as I'm considering these tires for an LD run in a month or so. I'm looking for opinions on this. I like the ride and the handling of them but if they are flaring after 3000 what are they going to look like at 10000.

Curt
Curt...I did not know the ST could do 170......and 125 2-up....thats cookin :)
Mine scalloped a little. I can shoot a few pics if you would like. I think I have 2 rears, one with 14k on it, the other with 9k or so and 1 front on the old tire pile.
Rich

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the things I like about the Avon Storms is how symmetrically they wear. I ride fairly aggressively and they wear evenly with very little cupping. Some cupping with a siped tire is almost unavoidable if one uses the throttle and brake in a sporting manner.

I've ridden my Avon Storms fairly aggressively (1/8" - no chicken strip) and at 8K they are pretty well worn on the back and the fronts are so cupped that I will replace both with a new set of tires. The fronts have tread left, but feel so bad in the twistys that I want new. Thinking about the PR2's. Best price anyone? Will mount tires myself.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #

Curt
I've got about 3500 miles on a set and they are scalloping (both front and rear). Tire pressures are 42 / 42 always and I ride 1 up. The scalloping doesn't seem to hinder performance but they howl like crazy when leaned over.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Three sets of PR2's so far and the only cupping problem I had was with the first set. My final eval was that it was at tire pressure consistence problem. I've watched it closely and kept them at a steady 42 and . . . no more cupping.

Still trying other brands every other set, but I keep coming back to the PR2s with confidence.

Shuey

Bike
06 ST
I am just back from a trip that I did some hard riding two up and I was very surprised to see how much wear and cupping I had on the back tire. I check the tire pressure and it was down a bit 38 psi and that likely contributed to the problem.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I've written many comments about them here. I guess I'm about as fickle as they come. I love'em - I hate'em - I love'em - I hate'em.

I had the horrific scalloping problem too somewhere north of 3000 miles. Noisey they are!!! Squirrly in the corners, maybe more like "mushy" in the rear. Always had them at 44 psi until I saw the crazy wear pattern then I tried 42. Took a trip to South Dakota with 7600 miles already on the tires. Took a brand new set of 020's with me not knowing how much more life was left in the PRII.

I can honestly say that after the 2500 mile trip to SD they don't look that much different (worn any more) than before I left. I expect cords to be showing in the middle long before the outer tread gets worn. They are at the middle wear bars with close to 11,000 on them.

I wish they would give up the whole stupid, 2 compound idea and make the whole tire out of the same rubber as what is in the middle of the tire. I'm not racing and could probably never push the bike hard enough to reach the limits of the tires anyway. If I could I'd use a crotch rocket for that.

I'll see how the 020 work after these PRII's are completely gone. Who knows maybe I'll try another set of PRII's??? 11,000+ is nothing to get too upset over. The front will probably go a lot further but I'll change both out at the same time and keep the front for a spare.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
11,000!!!!!!!!, Yikes! I would be happy to get even half that out of my BS 020's.
That being said, I just put a set of PR2's on. Haven't ridden them much except 40 miles in the rain, so wasn't pushing them at all. My first impression is how easily they initiate turn in. First corner I came to, I had to correct my line immediately or cross over the center line, the bike "fell in" that readily compared to the BS's. The bike became, dare I say, "light on its feet"!! Looking forward to getting some miles on them and see if this handling improvement stays with them for the life of the tread (which I hope is better than the BS's).
Rod

Top Bottom