Ride Report - Michelin Pilot Road 2 (Dual Compound)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The entire state of Nebraska was rain on my way back from NatSTOC, except the last 20 miles... The PR2s handled fine. I took it easy as you never know how some of those two-lane farm roads are, some are very slick due to age and traffic...

I have 6k on my front and I'm tickled with the wear. They look great IMO.. yes, have some scalloping on the front and rear but every tire I've ever had does that... I'm running 42psi at the moment.

So far, I'm happy with the PR2s but I still have a trip to Canada to do... I'll know during that trip just how much I like the tires.

Bike
06 ST
I am just back from a trip that I did some hard riding two up and I was very surprised to see how much wear and cupping I had on the back tire. I check the tire pressure and it was down a bit 38 psi and that likely contributed to the problem.
Further to my previous post; upon closer inspection I am even much more surprised on how the shoulders have worn so much more than the center. This is particularly true of the left hand side???

The only thing that I can think of is that on Tuesday I had a very extreme side wind on my way back from NatSTOC (I was leaned over as far as I dared in the rain and at times I was being pushed to the shoulder of the road) and I was at a very good angle for hours at end. Seems crazy to me but could the soft shoulder burn off in a matter of hours?

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I've ridden my Avon Storms fairly aggressively (1/8" - no chicken strip) and at 8K they are pretty well worn on the back and the fronts are so cupped that I will replace both with a new set of tires. The fronts have tread left, but feel so bad in the twistys that I want new. Thinking about the PR2's. Best price anyone? Will mount tires myself.
What a great opportunity to throw out a plug for Tim and Ernie at TwoBrothersTires.com. (See post #13)

I ordered mine a few days before leaving on my trip. Ordered Friday and the little brown truck arrives on Monday with two new rubbers. You just can't beat their service and I think you may not be able to beat their price either! It's worth an inquiry if you are in need and especially if you can mount them yourself.

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
I like the ride and the handling of them but if they are flaring after 3000 what are they going to look like at 10000.

Curt
Kurt, I can honestly say that the wear starts to even out again after that initial scalloping, while there is a lot of meat still on the tire. At 10,000+ I'm not so displeased with the way they look/wear. But boy was I mad at 3,000 -7,000.

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
and I was at a very good angle for hours at end. Seems crazy to me but could the soft shoulder burn off in a matter of hours?
That happened to me in '07 while riding through Utah. Strong wind for about 100+ miles, wore the left side of the tire, forcing me to find tires in the middle of no where. Finally got them in Montanna!

What a great opportunity to throw out a plug for Tim and Ernie at TwoBrothersTires.com. (See post #13)
Perfect! Just what I was looking for, a good place to buy some Michelin Pilot Road 2's!

edit - Bummer. They don't sell online?

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I just put a set on my sons ST1100 yesterday, and I like the feel of these tires a lot. We'll be taking off on a 4K mile trip in 2 weeks, I can see how they wear.
The only negative I have is that Michelin doesn't put balance marks on their tires. After the install yesterday, I can confirm their tires have heavy spots.
Just had a rear PR2 mounted and it took 3 oz. of weight to balance it..:eek:4: We'll see how it rides...already have a front on Thanks to Mellow....I love it so far

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
That happened to me in '07 while riding through Utah. Strong wind for about 100+ miles, wore the left side of the tire, forcing me to find tires in the middle of no where. Finally got them in Montanna!

Perfect! Just what I was looking for, a good place to buy some Michelin Pilot Road 2's!

edit - Bummer. They don't sell online?
Call them... They will answer any/all questions,,, and ya get to know some great folks in the real world,,, if only over the phone... :D Once you buy from them,,, you feel like family... ;)

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My PR2s have right at 10,000 on them. They are no where near the wear limits, but the rear tire has such a strange shape that its starting to make the bike act a little weird. The vast majority of the mileage has been long trips- lots of straight roads at respectable speeds. (Including NatSTOC, staring in Tennessee, by way of Texas and New Mexico). I doubt they have 500 miles on them that are within 100 miles of the house.

Cupping was an issue with both tires. I was religious about 42 psi. As weird as it sounds, the cupping seemed to come and go some. The tires were always noisy, and the cupping made it worse on the curves.

I will be replacing at least the rear and may go with another PR2- not sure. Stability in the rain - they saw A LOT of rain, was excellent- and one of the main reasons I will probably go with another set.

As some others have noted, the first couple of hundred miles I thought I had made a major mistake. I never had a tire that has to be run before it leveled out. This was more than me "getting used to it," something in the tire wears in before it acts normally.

EDIT: I went and checked- I thought the tires had around 10,000 miles on them. In fact, they are almost exactly at 12,000. Given that longevity, I will probably go with more PR2s.

Last edited:

rpeyronel

BDFF
Bike
07 ST1300
I'm replacing my Michelin PR 2 this week with Avon Storm STs. I got about 14K from the PR2 on my ST1300 riding down here in Florida primarily. They handled great but the center strip wore uneven and although there is plenty of tread left in the center it is too uneven during transition to feel safe. Hey 14K ain't bad!

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm replacing my Michelin PR 2 this week with Avon Storm STs. I got about 14K from the PR2 on my ST1300 riding down here in Florida primarily. They handled great but the center strip wore uneven and although there is plenty of tread left in the center it is too uneven during transition to feel safe. Hey 14K ain't bad!
I've seen the wear pattern that I think is being described here and I'm wondering if I'm going to run into the same issues. We'll see as I probably won't have a choice but to run them down to almost nothing before I replace them.

Curt

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have 7000 miles on my rear PR2 and it is down to the wear bars. I loved the tire, it felt as good as an Avon Storm, which is a compliment. I got 6000 miles on my last rear, a Storm. I ordered another set of Storms, more rubber for the money. I just wish I could get the mileage some of you are getting. I ride semi aggressively and I guess tire mileage is the price I pay.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Just got back from a 1500 mile ride on the new PR2's. Did most of the Selkirk Loop in ID and WA (I think hiway 97 down the east side of Lake Coure d'laine may be my new favorite road!!). The tires still continue to impress me with the ease of turn initiation (compared to BS 020's). Other handling characteristics are very good. Got the chicken strips all the way to the edge - woohoo!!
Did get caught in the rain on some new pavement. I could easily spin the rear tire in 4th gear with mild throttle application. Scary stuff. Like riding on ice.

Overall - if the mileage comes in OK, I will be replacing the PR2's with another set!! Like the tire!!

Rod

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
A new set of PR2's went on the bike yesterday for an upcoming 3.5kmi ride--I'm disappointed to hear of all the noise comments about PR2's. I've heard comment that they're better feeling at 38 psi...but I've set mine at 42. Any input on best pressure for PR2s?

I wish they would give up the whole stupid, 2 compound idea and make the whole tire out of the same rubber as what is in the middle of the tire. I'm not racing and could probably never push the bike hard enough to reach the limits of the tires anyway. If I could I'd use a crotch rocket for that.
DD, try the ME 880 rear. It lasts a long time--reminding you of it as it buzzes horribly. I got so tired of it that I pulled it last year at 1/2 life. Then my cheap side got frustrated at seeing a half-used tire sit in my garage, so I put it back on this spring and endured the buzz. It is squirrely in turns, especially when the road is wet. I just pulled the 880 off again yesterday after finally getting the noisy thing down into the wear bars.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I think I'm sold the PR2's I think now. I gave them a full run. 10,606 miles and they are still not to the wear bars. They still handle well and no signs of cupping. The front looks great and the rear is flatspotted because of lots of slab but no matter.

Curt

Attachments

Bike
99 ST1100
Have a 99 St100 and in 2007 purchased PR2's, really liked how they handled. Now have 7000k miles on them and they are shot. At about 6000k saw the front tire sides were wearing leaving a strip on the tire center. There is lots of tread left but scalping so bad have to replace them. May try something different such as B020's or 21's just so I have something to compare. Allways looking for the perfect tires.

OP
OP
Mandel
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I have about 7000 mi. on mine now and still have more to go. I have not noticed any unusual wear patterns or scalloping (but I may not know what to look for). I also have not noticed any unusual noise from the tires, but I ride with hearing protection so I couldn't hear it anyway.

Tires still feel great and take little input to initiate and hold a turn. I've never ridden a tire that inspires more confidence.

Mandel

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I put 14k on my last set of PR2's. My current set started out with a trip to Moonshine, then a trip to CO, and I'm going to Indy and back to CO next week. I'll probably have to call Tim @ Two Brothers when I get back for another set. I love my PR2's.

P.S.- Tim also has good deals on the Yuasa YTZ14S battery!

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
Well I think I'm sold the PR2's I think now. I gave them a full run. 10,606 miles and they are still not to the wear bars. They still handle well and no signs of cupping. The front looks great and the rear is flatspotted because of lots of slab but no matter.

Curt

Hey Curt,
Welcome to the PR2 side :)
I have never really worn a set deep into the wear bars, so I am on that mission right now. The front tire is now on it's way deep into the second rear......something like 18k on it. I will post what the mileage is when I really need to change it.
Talk to you soon,
Rich

Bike
'08 BMW R1200GS
Its great to hear that most people are happy with the PR2's. My shop convinced me to order a set and I didnt know that much about them. My current tires are the Battleasxe's and at 7700 miles, they both have flat spots (too much slab riding).

:07biker:

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800

Curt
Mine looked just like yours when I was at 7500 miles. I have since put on another 3,000. So you should get 13-14,000 pretty easy. That would be hard to complain about if it still handles.

Top Bottom