Ride Report - Michelin Pilot Road 2 (Dual Compound)

STOC #
thanks Fred... paranoid in Norman (and I don't mean about football, that's another story)...

BTW I'm getting the tire at Shawnee - seems that their claim of $10 over "cost" is pretty much true. They are quoting me $160 for the rear tire and $48 to put it on. All hopefully while I wait (not too long) and try to not buy too much else...

thanks again -
Sounds like they're competitive, will keep them in mind for my next set.

Come over, we'll put it on for a lot less then 48 bucks - well maybe not a lot less, but we'll have more fun!

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
I have decided to back to the 020 OEM rear.

I put the PRII on in Ar. last year and I have put about 13K on it since then. Middle is looking good but I have worn off the left side for some reason, all the way to the cords. It is also scalloped pretty bad visually but I cannot feel it at all.

Main reason for the switch? I reliably get 10K out of an 020 rear and it costs about $60 less local than the PRII. I paid more for my PRII front than I will for the OEM rear!

Yes, I know I can get them mail order and mount them myself, don't think I haven't thought about it long and hard, especially with how tires have gone up the last few years. I am just about there, probably will go over the edge when I pay to mount this one.

Chris

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #

I put the PRII on in Ar. last year and I have put about 13K on it since then. Middle is looking good but I have worn off the left side for some reason, all the way to the cords. It is also scalloped pretty bad visually but I cannot feel it at all.

Main reason for the switch? I reliably get 10K out of an 020 rear and it costs about $60 less local than the PRII. I paid more for my PRII front than I will for the OEM rear!

Yes, I know I can get them mail order and mount them myself, don't think I haven't thought about it long and hard, especially with how tires have gone up the last few years. I am just about there, probably will go over the edge when I pay to mount this one.

Chris
Come to Lubbock and wear some of that middle.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Ok,

Here are some pics of my PRII rear. I was riding last Saturday, when the back started to feel "strange" when turning left. The tire was badly scalloped and as you can see, this is only on the left side...center and right have plenty of tread left, New 020 goes on in the AM....

Attachments

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I completed a 3K trip over a long weekend a couple of weeks ago. I went down the BRP and did a big circle loop around smoky mountains on PR2s without any problems. I have about 4K on the tires so far and they are performing just fine. Even wear on both, no flats spots, and no scalloping. I made several trips on the dragon and the tires held just fine. I was pretty aggressive too. The roads were even wet at times. No slippage at all. The last time I was on the dragon I had storms on and the rear had a big flat spot on it so it wanted to stand up. :(

I'm impressed with the tires so far. Only downfall is the price. They're the most expensive tires I've run on the bike so far. I hope to get at least 10K out of the rear and so far it looks like I might be able to. ;)

Dragon Pics

Redback

The Reverend Padre
Bike
ST1300
Anyone had a chance to compare the Mitchelin PR2 with the Pirelli Angel ST's yet ? I see the good reports on the PR2 but the new Angels seem also to have great write ups and seem to have been designed around the typical ST1300 type bikes.

I'm due to replace my original Bridgestone 020's (23,000 klm) - not bad wear...but I never like them in the rain and I wouldn't rave about their overall grip or feel in the dry either.:aussie1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Anyone had a chance to compare the Mitchelin PR2 with the Pirelli Angel ST's yet ? I see the good reports on the PR2 but the new Angels seem also to have great write ups and seem to have been designed around the typical ST1300 type bikes.

I'm due to replace my original Bridgestone 020's (23,000 klm) - not bad wear...but I never like them in the rain and I wouldn't rave about their overall grip or feel in the dry either.:aussie1:
I spoke w/Tim @ TwoBrothers and the as soon as he can get a hold of a set of the Angels he's going to try them... Also, Storm IIs will be coming out next year, no info on them.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Ok,

Here are some pics of my PRII rear. I was riding last Saturday, when the back started to feel "strange" when turning left. The tire was badly scalloped and as you can see, this is only on the left side...center and right have plenty of tread left, New 020 goes on in the AM....
If you still have the old tire try poking at that thin spot with your finger. I think you'll be amazed just how thin the carcass is. It is my contention that the tire was not designed for the weight of the ST1300. Especially with a full size man on board. If Michelin would add some beef to the carcass or go up one or two levels in rubber compound for the sides on this particular size I think it would be an improvement. They need a reinforced version like Metzler or Bridgestone for our machines.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Having put my ST up for the winter I took a look at the tire mileage, I put a set of PR-2s on shortly after returning from the MLR this spring. Since then they have been ridden to Tentstoc in Yosemite and back, along with the natstoc gathering in Spearfish, and wistoc along with the local riding. Right now they have just over 11K on them and with the tire gauge they still show 4/32 to the wear bars just off of center, that equates to about 2750 miles per 32nd of wear so far. If that holds true they should go to 20K, but being my first set I don't know how quickly the last part will last, I do know they are great in the rain. :biker:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
On the matter of wearing more on one side, I've observed some riders not to sit square to their machines; to have one buttock and even a whole side of their body slouched over to one side or other. This wouldn't affect the way the tyres wear, would it? (Notwithstanding one manufacturer's set doesn't wear like that, while another does...)

Nothing scientific - Just wondering.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Ok,

Wow that is pretty bad wear, was it still at proper pressure when you found it like that? I have to wonder if some of the cords internally are broken allowing the tire to unfavorably reshape. :shrug1:

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

Chris
Hmm, I've worn off the left side of my rear PR2 tire too. Coincidence?

Top Bottom