Riding in the Heat

Sunday I rode to a friend's house in Tulare from my home in Bakersfield at about 2:30pm, a distance of about 65 miles. Air temp gauge was showing about 102* when I left. However, within 20 miles or so, it was up to 108*, and fluctuated between 108* and 104* for the entire ride. My speed was around 80 - 85 indicated, so about 75 -80 corrected.
I chose not to wear my Frank Thomas Aqua Pore coat, but had it in a side case. I kept my faceplate open to keep my face cool, as the one time I closed it, I thought my face was going to melt. I was wearing T-shirt and jeans.
When I got off the bike at my friend's house, I had the shakes. When I got into the shower to cool off, the inside of my legs just above the knees were mottled red, and my face and eyes were red.
In retrospect, maybe I should have worn my coat, to minimize dehydration. I did water up with two glasses of water before I left, to help prevent that. Well, now I know better for next time.:D

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
That jacket would be improper for such weather.

I have the same one. It doesn't breathe well. Great for winter and rain.

I would recommend .... loosely ... a decent mesh jacket and a Camelback hydration bladder. Wear the camelback under the jacket.

You need much more water and you really should keep your skin covered to prevent dehydration.

Be careful. For giggles; I carry 2 gallons of water with me in the summer every day.

Check out any of the cooling vests available online. I got one for $40 and I tell you it really helps and can be a life saver! At the very least you can soak your tee shirt and put the mesh jacket over it. But the cooling vests "hold" more water and can last a hour or 2 before you need to find a sink to dunk it in to reload it.

STOC #
I work in high heat all the time, been doing it for 20 years. Because of this, I don't have issues riding in high heat. The key is to stay hydrated....drink alot of fluids, COLD fluids, either ice water or gatorade. (I prefer Gatorade). You'll be surprised how much better you feel if you just keep sipping water in high heat. I asked a BPD motor cop once how he could stand the heat. He told me he had a camelback full of ice water under his uniform. So, thats an option as well. But like others have said, you HAVE TO STAY HYDRATED.
If you keep drinking, the heat won't be so bad, you'll keep sweating, and your built in cooling system will work.

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
This is all good information for anyone riding any distance in the heat!

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I work in high heat all the time, been doing it for 20 years. Because of this, I don't have issues riding in high heat. The key is to stay hydrated....drink alot of fluids, COLD fluids, either ice water or gatorade. (I prefer Gatorade). You'll be surprised how much better you feel if you just keep sipping water in high heat. I asked a BPD motor cop once how he could stand the heat. He told me he had a camelback full of ice water under his uniform. So, thats an option as well. But like others have said, you HAVE TO STAY HYDRATED.
If you keep drinking, the heat won't be so bad, you'll keep sweating, and your built in cooling system will work.
++++++1

I've ridden through North Dakota in 100+ temps wearing a full Roadcrafter, and have stayed remarkably cool.

I got the best advice on staying cool from the Roadcrafter instruction sheet, actually. Ablative cooling.

In exceptionally hot circumstances, I'll stop every 50-100 miles at a gas station. Buy two bottles of water: Drink one, and pour the other completely on my t-shirt. Open the vents in your jacket/suit and ride on... the wind going over the wet t-shirt is the most wonderful sensation on a hot day. That's ablative cooling.

By 50-100 miles, the shirt will be dry again, though. Rinse and repeat.
Also, the Roadcrafter does a good job of full skin coverage to prevent my skin from burning... that's good.

I don't like to take chances with heat.

Klackey

Kevin
Bike
2005 ST 1300
I ride in extream heat for long distances and the best advice is drink a ton of water when you are on the road... not just at stops. I have been shocked at the amount of water you can drink on a very hot day of riding.... On one 12 hour day I put down over 12 liters of water..... without many "pit stops".

the story of that ride here https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46867

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
This is starting to turn into a Bakersfield thread--but then, we know about extreme heat.

I carry a Camelback in the helicopter during the summer months and sip frequently during 2-3 hour flights. As Ruckus said, the key to remaining hydrated is to drink regularly.

Years ago an MD recommended to our ground pounders to drink a mixture of 50/50 water/Gatorade for better absorption of the electrolytes, without having a bunch lost to urination. I now find regular Gatorade to be too sweet for my liking, and I've grown accustomed to the flavor of it diluted.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
There are roads in North Dakota ?
Yes.

They look like this:

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Sunday I rode to a friend's house in Tulare from my home in Bakersfield at about 2:30pm, a distance of about 65 miles. Air temp gauge was showing about 102* when I left. However, within 20 miles or so, it was up to 108*, and fluctuated between 108* and 104* for the entire ride.
Holy crap and it's not even summer yet!! Sounds like you got lucky.

I'll be motoring through Bakersfield and points south on my way home from a trip in mid August. Hope the temps don't get hotter than what you experienced above. In preparation, I have constructed and tested out a hydration system I plan on using on the ride:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63619

I'm also going to get one of those cooling vests. As to other gear, I'll have an Aerostich Darien on (Hi-Viz yellow which will be cooler than a darker color).

The highest temperature I've ridden in was in the desert in the vicinity of Page, AZ while on the way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon from Durango. It was 109 degrees outside of Page. I had a long sleeve T-Shirt on that I soaked with water at every oportunity under my Darien Jacket. The Darien has huge vents. Also had an "Evap-o-dana" from Rider Wearhouse:

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16741&cat=287&page=1

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Is there any consensus on which cooling vest are best- or is this question in the vein of an oil thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by Captain Gruuvy
There are roads in North Dakota ?
Yes, sir. Long and straight and ALWAYS across the prevailing wind. Any other questions?

If you don't have to pee every time you gas up you aren't drinking enough water. And once you are riding, you can't catch up. I have a one gallon bottle that is becoming a 'hydration carrier' as we speak.

Bike
ST 1300
This is starting to turn into a Bakersfield thread--but then, we know about extreme heat.

I carry a Camelback in the helicopter during the summer months and sip frequently during 2-3 hour flights. As Ruckus said, the key to remaining hydrated is to drink regularly.

Years ago an MD recommended to our ground pounders to drink a mixture of 50/50 water/Gatorade for better absorption of the electrolytes, without having a bunch lost to urination. I now find regular Gatorade to be too sweet for my liking, and I've grown accustomed to the flavor of it diluted.
Hey Thumper, what do you fly? Here in Arizona I never go anywhere without a bottle of water in hand, I just do my best to keep it from getting stuck under the collective!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Is there any consensus on which cooling vest are best- or is this question in the vein of an oil thread?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hello Jack,

No question, buy one of the vests made with Hydroweave fabric. Accept no substitute. The ones made with the slimey crystals in pockets/tubes are great for road construction crews but I ride a motorcycle.

I've ridden for hours at temps above 100 degrees F, including 115 degrees for a couple of hours in my Aerostich RoadCrafter 2-pc and Marsee cooling vest. Yes, you feel uncomfortable, warm and clammy... but you're keeping your body core temp from elevating, allowing you to ride safely, and you'll arrive at your destination if not 'fresh,' then at least not completely exhausted/sick.

Drinking lots of fluids and wearing mesh is fine in most cases, but for serious LD riding in the heat you're better served with a cooling vest under a garment with less, more controllable venting.

JMHO and FWIW

Regards, John

Last edited:
Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
John

Because it is alt 167 ??:) ? ?F ?C yep, 167 does it!

I actually use a MiraCool construction vest, it works good for me. Heavy and slimey, it lasts for several hours at 115? under my mesh jacket. I drink water continuously when it's that warm. It's only 104? right now!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John

Because it is alt 167 ??:) ? ?F ?C yep, 167 does it!

I actually use a MiraCool construction vest, it works good for me. Heavy and slimey, it lasts for several hours at 115? under my mesh jacket. I drink water continuously when it's that warm. It's only 104? right now!
Hi Tom. I deleted my question about the 'Alt+' problem in the above post. Finally noticed that my keyboard's 'Num Lock' was inexplicably off... DOH!

The MiraCool type vests work, just not a well or nice as the Hydroweave ones. I see that Silver Eagle sells a Hydroweave vest, just can't tell if it has the coated inner layer to keep you dry(er) like my Marsee. Try a Hydroweave vest, you'll like that when 'charged' the water is evenly distributed throughout the vest, and doesn't really 'swell up' at all. I first bought a construction worker vest which I now use occasionally to mow the lawn in. So I do have first-hand experience with one. Then I found out about the Marsee from some LD types. Now because my Stich has shrunk, I doubt that I could even fit a fat tubed crystal type vest under it. :)

Regards, John

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
Hello Jack,

No question, buy one of the vests made with Hydroweave fabric. Accept no substitute. The ones made with the slimey crystals in pockets/tubes are great for road construction crews but I ride a motorcycle.

I've ridden for hours at temps above 100 degrees F, including 115 degrees for a couple of hours in my Aerostich RoadCrafter 2-pc and Marsee cooling vest.
It appears Marsee no longer sells the Hydroweave cooling vest...it seems Marsee and Hydroweave had some sort of commercial dispute and now Hydroweave is selling it's fabric only to Silver Eagle for manufacturing cooling vests.

I did a 350 mile ride on Saturday to see a couple of covered bridges east of Yuba City CA. The temp was in the low 100s. I had shed my jacket by 11:00 and was wearing boots, textile pants, black helmet, summer gloves and a loose longsleeve shirt. I am ATG(most)TT and I don't have a mesh jacket.

The ride was fun, the heat was horrible. I drank a two liter water bladder in my tank bag twice, plus two 1.5 liter sports drinks (power aid I think). I did not get dehydrated and felt pretty good when I got home. Whenever we stopped I poured more water on my head and down my shirt. I was dry in 20 minutes.

I sure am glad that I had that new E55 top box. It holds plenty of liquids for that kind of day.

Larry

Top Bottom