Riding with Oxygen

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I have copd and am on oxygen and I really want to get back to riding. Am I crazy? I have a portable machine that will charge on 12 volts and life can be pretty boring with four wheels.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I would do it in a heartbeat, if the 02 concentrator could keep up with my needs.

Wire a power socket in a saddlebag or top box with a notch or hole for the tube.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
There has to be a way. I've seen bikers with oxygen tubes in their noses with the tubes going to a small tank.

azr

Bike
1998 ST1100
Would be pretty easy to set something up. Put the portable tank in rear bag, pretty simple. Your biggest issue would be the weight of the bike. Get a Burgman or a smaller bike than an ST

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Go for it Coop! I'd love to see you back on the road. If you need any help, all of us here can probably come up with an air intake hose that we could run from the front of the bike to your helmet. Some kind of Ram Air induction or something.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I'm a ride captain with the PGR and I have multiple members that are on O2. They have either a small bottle they carry in a backpack and a spare in their saddlebag or as I have another rider that uses a machine generator. He purchased a Can-Am Spyder and had a custom trunk built by someone on the internet and besides the hidden hose that goes down his back to the custom quick disconnect and the fact it takes him five minutes to get on or off, he still rides like a bat out of hell. There are multiple blogs about it just with a basic google search. Here's a random image for motivation. Now get out there and go riding.

harley-3-700.jpg

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Coop if you are up to it and the machine is small enough and your alternator will keep it charged why not. If you are physically capable otherwise I would do it.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I had a biker partner that was on 24hr oxygen. He had a portable unit that fit into a saddle bag. We went for a putt which he really enjoyed shortly before he died.

I'm close to that myself with acute asthma, copd and God knows what else, so I'll be looking at that soon, I believe. Not going to quit riding, they may just be shorter ones.

Reactions: jrp
Bike
2007 ST1300
If you aren't a hazard to others or yourself why wouldn't you. I would think that riding with O2 is less a problem than drivers who text and drive. The picture that aniwack posted says it all. Go enjoy!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have copd and am on oxygen and I really want to get back to riding. Am I crazy? I have a portable machine that will charge on 12 volts and life can be pretty boring with four wheels.
Coop - You are crazy but that happened a long time ago at that vacation you took at San Diego, courtesy of the USMC! :biggrin:
I've know a couple of folks that ride that way. They just stick their 'device' in a bag on the back seat with the line hooked up and away they go.
I've also seen on who put in one of his saddlebags and made a small hole for the o-line to come out. I'll be glad to send your heated liner back if you need it!

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you have a machine that will generate the o2 supply I'd permanently mount it to the bike. The alternator should handle it. Mine handles heated jacket, pants, gloves, socks, grip warmers, heated seat, three gps, radar, and two sets of aux lights including the big clearwaters. And my phone.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Coop:

If I could spend decades flying an aircraft using oxygen (delivered via cannula from a portable system, not from a system built into the aircraft), then you can certainly ride a moto using oxygen.

Your only concern, I think, will be remembering to not get off the moto and walk away with the cannula (or mask, depending on your preference) still connected to the motorcycle. So far as the supply of oxygen is concerned, there are now lightweight high pressure carbon fiber bottles available that will hold a considerable supply of O2 and weigh only a fraction of what a metal bottle weighs. You could easily craft a "saddle" to hold the bottle on top of the right-hand saddlebag (that would keep it out of the way when you mount & dismount.

I still have a few new, unopened aviation cannulas and masks, as well as a regulator that fits on a high pressure bottle. If these would be helpful to you, send me a note and I will find a way to get them to you, no charge.

Michael

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Another issue might end up being the weight of the bike. I had another friend that we camped with years ago that ended up on 24hr oxygen. He rode a Gold Wing until it got too heavy for him and he fell over a few times. Ended up getting a Can Am until he couldn't ride any more.

There is also a thread on ADV about camping with copd. Evidently many people do it. Many good solutions here so far as well. Give it a shot!!! Nothing like riding a bike in the open air, no matter how you have to do it.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Carpe diem, Coop. Carpe diem!!

Where there's a will, there's a way.
I'm sure about laying carpet, but I'll check youtube.
Another issue might end up being the weight of the bike. I had another friend that we camped with years ago that ended up on 24hr oxygen. He rode a Gold Wing until it got too heavy for him and he fell over a few times. Ended up getting a Can Am until he couldn't ride any more.

There is also a thread on ADV about camping with copd. Evidently many people do it. Many good solutions here so far as well. Give it a shot!!! Nothing like riding a bike in the open air, no matter how you have to do it.
My problem is that I just don't feel comfortable on a Spyder. It would be the obvious answer , but I just can't get comfortable with the steering. It scares me more than my first ex-wife's lawyer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Do they make O2 concentrators that run on 12 volts? If not you would need an inverter. In this case you would have to figure in the inverter's efficiency as well as the current draw of the machine.

Did I see someone carrying around a portable liquid oxygen dewar? This would give you far more oxy than a high pressure bottle.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Do they make O2 concentrators that run on 12 volts? If not you would need an inverter. In this case you would have to figure in the inverter's efficiency as well as the current draw of the machine.

Did I see someone carrying around a portable liquid oxygen dewar? This would give you far more oxy than a high pressure bottle.
Yes, I have an Inogen G3 that runs on 12 volts. I'm not sure how much it draws and how that equates to what lighter bikes put out. I'm kind of experiencing paralysis through analysis.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm not sure how much it draws and how that equates to what lighter bikes put out.
I was curious so I looked up the specs. The user manual for the Inogen One G3 has a warning that states Ensure that the automobile power socket is adequately fused for the Inogen One® G3 power requirements (minimum 15 Amp). If the power socket cannot support a 15 Amp load,the fuse may blow or the socket may be damaged.

The technical specifications state DC Input: 13.5-15.5VDC,10A Max. Most cigarette lighter circuits in my experience are fused at 10 amps. I suspect that the 15 amp warning is legal disclaimer overkill to allow for any possible surge since the specifications state a maximum draw of 10 amps. It is sold and advertised as suitable for use in any automobile, boat, etc. equipped with a standard automotive cigarette lighter so I would not think that there would be any problem.

Top Bottom