Riding with Oxygen

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I can understand your discomfort on a Spyder. I have ridden one twice, not my first choice either but it beats not riding.

The trick with riding a trike is to forget everything you ever knew about riding a motorcycle. Then you will do OK. The trike doesn't lean, you do.

I built one in my biker days in the 60s for my then old lady. Put a lot of miles on it both myself and with her. When the club partied and I knew I would get blithered, I made her drive and I rode comfortably in back. But I digress; old memories coming back.....

Lots of trike kits for two wheelers out now, too. I believe there is a new one just out that is supposed to lean. Those might be the trick as the part you see riding at least looks like a motorcycle.

You may not need one yet and perhaps by the time you do, they will be even better.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, I have an Inogen G3 that runs on 12 volts. I'm not sure how much it draws and how that equates to what lighter bikes put out. I'm kind of experiencing paralysis through analysis.
OK, Watts = Volts times Amps, so we have 13 x 10 = 130 watts max load. This device has a small compressor so it will draw the max current only during startup and then somewhat less (run load) until it shuts down and restarts. If your bike can supply this 130 watts continuous, you should be ok (it will depend on the bike and what other gear is running). A word of warning, though. Most bikes do not come equipped with a cigarette lighter, so if what you ride has one, you should check the wire size (and the wiring for this circuit) feeding it. I'd go with 12 ga wire (rated for 15 to 20 amps @ 3% voltage drop for a 10 foot circuit). This will be a bit overkill but less voltage drop is better. More than 3% VD and the motor in your Inogen will be working harder - not good since this is life support equipment and an expensive piece of machinery.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Coop, your're not alone.
Many riders ride with their oxygen supply on board.
I'm also not comfortable on a CanAm.
Have you ever thought about a Suzuki Burgman or similar.
They have a large area under the flip up seat that can easily handle your Imogen and a few extra bottles.
They are easy to mount/dismount and the bigger ones are completely freeway compatible with good range and weather protection.
Do let us know if you make the transition back to two wheels.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
A friend of mine used his portable concentrator while riding; kept the concentrator in the top box, and ran the small plastic tube out to the nasal cannula. He didn't bother with an on-board power, just recharged the concentrator each night.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
A friend of mine used his portable concentrator while riding; kept the concentrator in the top box, and ran the small plastic tube out to the nasal cannula. He didn't bother with an on-board power, just recharged the concentrator each night.
There is that. I probably could not outlast a battery.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Life long Steelers fan. That's why I need you for a good laugh.
Black and Gold here as well.
Don't know about trading the #1 running back and the #1 receiver.
Maybe it's time for Tomlin to be traded!

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Hmmmm! I saw something on the internet about a breathing style that Seals use to calm themselves. It's call box breathing and after trying it I have found that it raised my oxygen level seven percentage points and that is huge. The big bad wolf might have been on to something until he got to the piggy's house made of brick.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Does this mean you will be blowing more hot air? We are in trouble!
Glad you found something to help you out.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Does this mean you will be blowing more hot air? We are in trouble!
Glad you found something to help you out.
You aren't one of those climate change folks are you because if I had my RD 350 I would be laying some smoke. LOL!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You aren't one of those climate change folks are you because if I had my RD 350 I would be laying some smoke. LOL!
I’m thinking maybe you were blowing some hot air my way today while I was out riding. It was 91 here today buddy! I rode through the Wildlife Refuge today. Meers was closed so I ate at Medicine Park. Much better food there. I had to stop and wait on two buffalo to cross the road.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I’m thinking maybe you were blowing some hot air my way today while I was out riding. It was 91 here today buddy! I rode through the Wildlife Refuge today. Meers was closed so I ate at Medicine Park. Much better food there. I had to stop and wait on two buffalo to cross the road.
Yes, Meers is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. We learned the hard way last month. Where is Medicine Park?
91 degrees? If you had hurried, you could have got your 100K before it got hot. I'm about ready for you to reclaim your rain. The dog gets crazy when it thunders and the danged humidity is ugly. I have three rain suits and a poncho and no matter which one I take with me it still rains. Any advice?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Medicine Park is just outside of the wildlife refuge headed east towards I-44. A couple of minutes east of MT Scott. I ate at the Plantation Cafe. There was a RTE there earlier this year. Pretty good food. It was a hangout for gangsters in the early 1900’s.
I like my Frog Toggs. They breath in the summer and keep me dry in the winter. I just wish they packed a lot smaller.

Top Bottom