Right Cylinder Cam Chain tensioner...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Done.

Thanks for all the advice. Changing the shim on the #2 cylinder was very easy. The process did take time but nothing difficult.

One learning. To turn the camchain tension screw I needed a 1/8th inch by 8" long slotted screwdriver that I picked up at the local hardware store. I used a small vice grip to hold it in place. Did the whole job by myself with two hands. No problem.

The 3/16ths inch by 12" long driver I picked up months ago was too wide.
Did you pull the throttle bodies?

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Did you pull the throttle bodies?
No, I did not have to pull the throttle body. I didn't even have to remove the gas tank - even though I had the new fuel line and special clamps on hand.

To get to the cam chain tensioner screw I gently pulled back the rubber heat shield and gently lodged a scewdriver to hold the rubber back. To get the cam screw out without losing it I put some Hondabond HT (gasket sealer) on the tip of the socket, put the socket on the screw and let it sit for 2 minutes. Then, I took the screw out.

I believe working with the right cylinders is probably easier for one person to do since you can use a screwdriver and small vicegrip to hold the cam tension screw in place so that you can remove the cam chain.

Byron

STOC #
. . .

Byron,
I was wondering if you could release the tensioners after you have the cams off. I'm glad you have that in your write up. I plan to adjust mine in the spring.
Sorry for the delayed response but "YES" you can release it. You will need to wind it up again to get the cam(s) back in though.

Top Bottom