Road to making 1/12 scale ST1100.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Oh my GOODNESS! That photo is fantastic! Had I not known ahead of time that it was a model, I'm not sure I'd have recognized that from the picture. Too cool.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Miz,

Like everyone else here, I think your work is amazing. The attention to detail and realism is outstanding.:bow1:

I may have missed it in the thread but which CAD system are you modeling in? Do you have an assembly model that represents the entire bike or are they separate components (some assembly required)? Are you exporting to STL to drive the 3D printers? I have access to a variety of 3D data conversion tools so you need help in making the 3D model available in different formats, let me know.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Oh my GOODNESS! That photo is fantastic! Had I not known ahead of time that it was a model, I'm not sure I'd have recognized that from the picture. Too cool.
I was thinking the same thing! It would have been cool to have that pic floating around without knowing it was a model to see who would be fooled. It would take a better eye than mine and I already know it's a model.

But I'm glad a didn't miss out on the journey of this project. Watching it progress was tremendous fun and every installment was amazing.

That picture would make a great desktop pic. :)

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Miz,,,,Your a freaking nut...I think I love you...Great job on the ST1100, Next fire it up so we can see you go for a ride...:bow1:

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hello everyone,

Jethro77, thanks very much for your kind comment! This is my 1st trial with 3Dprinter.
ibike2havefun, I'm glad to hear that. Reality is important for scale model.
MV_Dave,Thanks! Your ST looks in same colour as mine. CAD data was made by Fusion360 for Autodesk.It has nice interface for a beginner like me.
IIs your question about this 1/12 model? This model needs some parts from Tamiya's plastic model,CBR1100xx. Like Tire,wheel and handle grips. All other parts is made with 3D printer. Yes I used STL for this model. Thanks for your offer.
ST Gui,Thank you very much. I wanted to shoot this photo under the blue sky.It would look better.
The Dan,Thanks for your kin....d comment ;-) Love is strong. Love for ST has brought me here. Please keep watching my next action.

Hear I got an improvement. I replaced the side stand. The new one is made of Titanium!
Of course made with 3D printing.
Because this 3D printed body is quite heavy just like real one, original plastic side stand could not support its weight.
A base for side stand is also made with Titanium. A coil spring is also attached.
sidestand.jpg

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hello,
I made second model colored in blue.
This version has a silver line on its fairing and pannier.
I made this as a present for a man who developed real ST1100 in Honda as a chief engineer.
After retirement,he runs a cafe for riders.
st_blue_side_mini.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
No bike
STOC #
Well... the Blue one looks great also, and how cool that you were able to meet and gift it to the chief engineer of the ST1100!
Give him a big thank you for all of us ST lovers!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Gorgeous, again. And a very thoughtful gesture. Nice to know that someone who helped create something that has brought great joy and pleasure to us now has a reminder of how much his work is appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Just amazing work Miz. Pretty cool of you to make the second one and give it away to the one that brought us so much enjoyment.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow Miz.....nicely done! Both the model and your actions. You are a true gentleman.

ToddC :bow1: :06biker:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I made this as a present for a man who developed real ST1100 in Honda as a chief engineer.
Dear Miz-san,
please express our sincere respect and reverence to this man who took part in the creation of this flawless motorcycle/travelling machine...

OP
OP
Miz

Miz

Ken
Bike
ST1100
Hello ST Guys,

Thanks for your sincere comment.
I made one-day trip to "Coffee Black Bird" on last saturday.

It is located 200miles from my home.
But such distance does not matter for our motorcycle.

ST1100 was developed by Mr.Isao Yamanaka.
When I arrived at the shop,he said " Oh! this is certainly the model I've developed!".

His cafe "BlackBird" is named after CBR1100xx, that also developed by him.
It was really cozy place near the big lake Hamana-ko and of course coffee was very nice.
I heard many things about his struggle for developing ST.
Persuading the board member why should make total new engine was really tough,he said.

Happily, he was really delighted with my blue ST model.
And I got his signature on the book "Honda Flagship motorcycle story".
That book is also written by him.

I also told him that still there are many enthusiast for ST all around the world.
He was really delighted with that.

If you have a chance traveling Japan,please visit him :)
IMG_7156.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But such distance does not matter for our motorcycle.
I love the spirit of that sentence. That was very kind of you to honor Mr. Yamanaka with one of your very fine models of the ST1100.

It must have been fascinating to hear details of trying to develop the motorcycle. You were able to hear history from the man who helped make it. I'm glad he succeeded because without the ST1100 there would probably wouldn't be an ST1300.

You had a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us and for the pics.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I heard many things about his struggle for developing ST.
Persuading the board member why should make total new engine was really tough,he said.
That longitudinal V-4 is a brilliant creation, only missing hydro-tappets... ;-)
If you have a chance traveling Japan,please visit him
As I spent time in Tokyo and Fuji I should have known a few years earlier... :-(

Bike
2006 ST1300A
ST1100 was developed by Mr.Isao Yamanaka.
When I arrived at the shop,he said " Oh! this is certainly the model I've developed!".
Happily, he was really delighted with my blue ST model.
Miz - That was very honorable thing you did. You, sir, are a good man! <Ken>

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, what a fantastic job you did! Very impressive and well worth you efforts!

Thanks for taking us along your journey, from start to finish!

Top Bottom