RoadSmart III (not on an ST)

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Not sure if this is an OK thing to post or not, but I thought I might get some opinions.

My 2004 ST got new Continental Road Attack III tires (w/the heavier GT rear) earlier in the year. So far, they're flippin' awesome (although I'm not a fan of the GT rear, I can feel the profile difference at high lean angle and I don't care for it). On my other bike (a 1999 Triumph Trophy 900), I put on Dunlop RoadSmart III's replacing the very old and totally sketchy Metzeler MEZ8s. For all sorts of reasons, mostly shipping and parts issues, I wasn't able to test-ride the bike until a week ago; a day before the bikes both went into winter storage for the year.

I put a whopping 30 miles on the new Dunlops in 50F weather. :-(

I've never had Dunlops before, but so far I love the way they communicate and I was very impressed by the smoothness. However, I noticed at high lean angle (the last maybe 15% of the tire) that they felt a bit squirmy. Now, new tires take some time to scrub in, and cold weather wasn't my friend, but I don't recall other tires I've used in the past being squirmy like this. Only the rear, for what it's worth. I'm reserving judgement until I can get another 100 miles on it in the spring, in preferably warmer weather. In comparison, the Continentals on the ST seemed to grip from day one, and I've pushed that 730 pound beastie pretty hard (which reminds me -- I need to upgrade the suspension and I need new footpeg feeler things).

, I wasn't able to test-ride the bike until a week ago; a day before the bikes both went into winter storage for the year.
I watched Noraly's newest chat and she mentioned, "I don't get why bikers stop riding when it's cold ... look at me, I still do" (paraphrased here) ... that's why she has a "special biker" in my heart ... she's all in.

, but I don't recall other tires I've used in the past being squirmy like this. Only the rear, for what it's worth. I'm reserving judgement
I had a set of "road smarts" [sic] on my ST years ago ... had a horrible blow out - literally an almost US quarter sized chunk blew out while my wife and I were running 50mph approaching a deep left hander.

Never again with "road smarts" (cr@p name, in my opinion)

Bike
VStrom 650
I don't think you can judge it after a short ride, it certainly won't be bedded in just yet. A few heat cycles in warmer weather should settle it down. Although I do have bad memories of Dunlop's on an 11 but that was in a previous life.
Upt'North.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I am running an RS111 on the front and an RS11 on the rear, the rear will be replaced in the spring since it has about 13K miles on it. I plan to replace it with the RS111. No problems with the tires in the conditions I ride in and the wear is excellent.

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I used to ride much later in the year - often with snow on the ground, etc. - and would start my riding much earlier. However, I live where a drop in temps can mean it's unsafe for even 4wd/awd vehicles much less a motorcycle. Some years back I rode to work and left later than I had expected; the mere act of the sun going down caused a glazing of ice and that 20 mile ride home was.... uneventful but only just. Never again.

Secondly, once they bring out the salt I'm not letting my bikes anywhere near the road if I can help it, and it'll stay that way until we've had a few real good rains to wash the salt off in the spring.

Regarding the tires: I'm well aware of the issues with the earlier Roadsmarts (the RS I in particular), but every manufacturer makes some stinkers and has manufacturing issues. Given the very high reviews the tire model has received on other, similarly heavy bikes (FJR, Concours, BMWs, etc.) I felt that for this bike (not my ST, the Trophy -- 550 pounds wet) it was a well-mated tire. I suppose only time and miles will tell!

Thank you all for the replies.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I used to ride much later in the year - often with snow on the ground, etc. - and would start my riding my earlier. However, I live where a drop in temps means it's unsafe for even 4wd/awd vehicles much less a motorcycle. Some years back I rode to work and left later than I had expected; the mere act of the sun going down caused a glazing of ice and that 20 mile ride home was.... uneventful but only just. Never again.

Secondly, once they bring out the salt I'm not letting my bikes anywhere near the road if I can help it, and it'll stay that way until we've had a few real good rains to wash the salt off in the spring.

Regarding the tires: I'm well aware of the issues with the earlier Roadsmarts (the RS I in particular), but every manufacturer makes some stinkers and has manufacturing issues. Given the very high reviews the tire model has received on other, similarly heavy bikes (FJR, Concours, BMWs, etc.) I felt that for this bike (not my ST, the Trophy -- 550 pounds wet) it was a well-mated tire. I suppose only time and miles will tell!

Thank you all for the replies.
Very astute N.S.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
At 30 miles, you haven't scrubbed them in yet. You're lucky they didn't slip out on you totally and leave you looking at a wrecked bike.

I've had at least 2 sets of Roadsmart IIIs on my F800GT. And two sets of Continental Roadattack IIIs. The only time I've had the Roadsmart IIIs slip was early in the winter season when I tried to use them like I do in the summer. I turned a sharp left to get on the freeway at a traffic light, and it was at an underpass where moisture (and maybe oil) had accumulated. The tire slipped about 3 inches and then grabbed. I can't blame that on the tire though. I don't know what was down there in that low spot I rode through.

Continental makes their tires using a totally different process than most manufacturer's do. Instead of using different kinds of rubber to give traction on the sides and longevity in the center, they use the same rubber...and vary the pressure and temperature to accomplish the same thing. They also don't use a mold release agent, so the tire doesn't need scrubbing in.

Of the two, I like the Continental the best...but the Dunlop RS III is a close second...and well over a hundred dollars less than the other choices.

Chris

Bike
04 ST1300
I installed my first set of RS II's back in 2015 and again this year in September. The first set lasted 22K. I was quite happy with the way they handled. Although, I don't ride very aggressively. The RS III is supposed to be a better tire than the RS II, so you should like it. My reason for choosing RS II over RS III was the $100 price difference per set.

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I installed my first set of RS II's back in 2015 and again this year in September. The first set lasted 22K. I was quite happy with the way they handled. Although, I don't ride very aggressively. The RS III is supposed to be a better tire than the RS II, so you should like it. My reason for choosing RS II over RS III was the $100 price difference per set.
Now that the RS IV is out, I'd expect the price of the RS III to drop. In the last 9 months or so, the price _has_ dropped at least 40-50 bucks, and it was already considerably less expensive than the Continentals. I really love the idea of the technology behind the Continental curing process, etc. but until I get another set burned through I'll reserve judgement. My previous favorite, the Angel GT, cupped really badly towards the end.

I strongly suspect that I need to refresh the suspension.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I'm on my third set of RS3's on my GSX1250FA. Best tires I've ever run on any bike. And at a reasonable price. Will be trying the RS4 at next change. They're said to be even better.

Bike
R1200rt
I watched Noraly's newest chat and she mentioned, "I don't get why bikers stop riding when it's cold ... look at me, I still do" (paraphrased here) ... that's why she has a "special biker" in my heart ... she's all in.

I had a set of "road smarts" [sic] on my ST years ago ... had a horrible blow out - literally an almost US quarter sized chunk blew out while my wife and I were running 50mph approaching a deep left hander.

Never again with "road smarts" (cr@p name, in my opinion)
Been involved with auto/truck tires decades. When a tire blows out usually owner blames the tire with out doing any investigating. Most all of the time you can find the cause, installer ripped the bead, air slowly penetrates the cord and causes a blow out. Tire was plugged. The most common is the sidewall bulge/ blow out. It,s always easier to blame the tire
Image result for why do tires bubble

Bubbles in your tires are generally caused by impacts on the road. Hitting the edges of potholes, small collisions, hitting a curb and speed bumps can all cause the sidewall to bulge in your tires. ... Tire bubbles can also form in areas where the rubber has worn very thin.

Been involved with auto/truck tires decades. When a tire blows out usually owner blames the tire with out doing any investigating.
Understood! I worked at Firestone for about three years (30 years ago), so I've seen it all. This was not a sidewall bubble ... slight possibility it was something on the road, but I doubt it, as I'm very keen on checking upcoming road surface conditions. Anyway, I do remember doing research on the R.S. tires and read many other folks having issues with them during that timeframe.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Having used both RS2's and RS3's, I can say that the RS3 is a totally different tire from the RS2, both in handling and longevity. I wouldn't let someone else's experience with the older RS influence my decision whether or not to use the newer versions - there just is no comparison.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
With 30 miles on your hoops, I believe you don't have sufficient data, and your conclusion *may* be a bit premature. Manufacturers suggest going easy for at least 100 miles, some to 200.
And in the 21st century, the "tire mold release" is a thing of the past, at least as concerns most major tire companies.
I was very close to buying the Dunlop RoadSmarts for my '08 ST1300 when the originals had worn out this past spring, based on reviews AND on my personal experience with their sport rubber years ago on my Blackbird and 600F2. Very confidence-inspiring, even in hair-on-fire pace (which was not my norm.)
Only reason I went with the Michelin Pilot Sports instead, was due to the consensus on LDrider email list (the Iron Butt guys and gals) by ST pilots.
The Michelin's have given me no cause for alarm, and I have taken them up to just a hair past my personal comfort zone in the twisties. Good golly, this is a BIG bike!

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
An update. I do have a few hundred miles on the bike now and (as in the other thread) I'm using "all" of the rear tire and leaving 1/4" or so of unused portion of the front. I think maybe the pressures are too high (42psi); other sites seemed to indicate the RS3 is quite sensitive to tire pressure.

That said, so far, they've stuck pretty darn well (once I wore off the molding compound goo and got it through a few heat cycles).

I posted about that here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/suspension-tires-and-chicken-strips.176065/

Anyway, I like 'em. For the ST1300, I'm pretty sure these are going to replace the (probably better, but expensive) Continental Road Attack 3 currently mounted: they only lasted about 5,000 miles - half of what I was hoping for.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I am not an aggressive rider, but I have an RS3 on the front with 10K+ mile one it and still going strong. I have an RS2 on the rear with 12K miles on it and still has a couple of thousand miles before I need to replace it.

Bike
04 ST1300
Top Bottom