Roasted Nuts... Not the culinary sort.

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
I rode about 40 miles today in 93 degree heat... This is the first time I've ridden when it's this hot. Traffic was backed up quite a bit, so it took just under an hour. About 2/3 of the way into my trip, my thighs and groin were getting excessively hot.

When I got home I took out my trusty lazer thermometer, and took some readings.

Center of my tank, where my bits and pieces call home: 127 Degrees
Fairing near knees: 124 and 122
Mid-Seat: 105

Heat at my legs was expected based on pre-purchase reviews, and is tolerable... the groin is a bit of a bigger deal, no pun intended.

OUCH!

Tim

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Since it's a custom seat, you may try it in the lowest position in front at least, that will help reduce the gap you see between the tank and seat and may help some. That works well w/sargent and oem seat not sure about the corbin.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Change your oil and put in Chevron DELO. It solved ALL my heat problems on my 2007. People won't believe me but it's really true.
I sat at an accident in traffic for 15 minutes in 106 temperature last summer and there were no heat comfort issues when we were finally able to take off. Before I changed oils the air coming off the lower right side of the engine would blister my leg if I didn't have long pants and riding boots on.

OP
OP

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
Change your oil and put in Chevron DELO. It solved ALL my heat problems on my 2007. People won't believe me but it's really true.
I sat at an accident in traffic for 15 minutes in 106 temperature last summer and there were no heat comfort issues when we were finally able to take off. Before I changed oils the air coming off the lower right side of the engine would blister my leg if I didn't have long pants and riding boots on.
I have some Rotella T6 sitting in the Garage that I bought on special......... hate to pass over it... Might be worth trying tho!

Anyone else noticed Oil changing temp??

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Can"t believe no one has suggested a Bead Rider. Won"t leave home without it. You don"t realize how much it helps until you take it off. Try the el cheapo Wally World one before you commit.

Signed
Overly heat sensitive fat Florida boy.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Wear better riding gear. When we were stuck in traffic Saturday in close to 100 degree temps people thought I was nuts with my full 'Stich on. When I had to push-start the ST I packed away the suit and rode without it until the next convenient place to stop. Well I was much more comfortable with it on! It kept the sun off me, and I never noticed the engine or tank heat with it on. As soon as I was in just my jeans, I REALLY felt it, and yes, the "boys" were roasted by the hot tank! As soon as I put the suit back on I felt much more comfortable.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It's weird how the heat affects some bieks and not others Tim. I've been riding every day this week too and haven't had a problem with the boys.Now for yesterdays ride home I did take off th edress shirt before putting on my jacket and it did feel a little better.

Has your ST had any venting mods done to the front cowling?

OP
OP

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
Has your ST had any venting mods done to the front cowling?
Not that my unpracticed eye can see. I gonna take the tank off and insulate the area around their box as described in a recent post.

I think it has to do with the gap between the Corbin seat and the tank venting hot air. As far as I can tell, the Corbin seems to only really fit in a single position. The ride today it didn't bother me, as there was little stop and go.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Chevron Delo?

I will give it a try, is there anything else I need to know. Is there a special weight designation? Where is the best place to find it?
Thanks

Bike
2005 ST1300
[QUOTE;1636524]10000 taxi drivers cant be wrong![/QUOTE]

Just got back from 3000 mile trip. Half of it was in 95-102 heat. Switched between stock seat, gel pad, and bead rider. Bead Rider was best at dealing with heat but it was hot no matter what I tried. At the end of the day anything over 85-90 is just a hot ride.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I have a RDL seat set at the top position and their is about a inch of space between the seat and the tank. I simply took a black wash cloth rolled it up and stuck it between. I think I will take it to a upholstery shop and have them put another piece of leather in there to fill that area.

Jay

I have a Corbin seat that has a little gap between the seat and the tank... I just took some sheepskin and glued it to the front of the seat and it covered the gap nicely. My junk has been much happier since...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
... I just took some sheepskin and glued it to the front of the seat and it covered the gap nicely. My junk has been much happier since...
Hmmm... having sheepskin there might just be a little too much a reminder of college days.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I have a corbin seat in the lowest position and the front of the seat is right up against the tank. Since seeing this thread, I thought I'd measure the temperature on mine to see how it compares. I used one of those handheld, infrared thermometers. I just got home from riding in the 100 degree heat today. I parked in the garage, came inside and grabbed the thermometer, ran back out to the garage to measure. Center of gas tank, right above where the seat touches, read 106?f. So maybe mageerc has something. See if you can't fill that gap with something and see if there is any difference.

Good luck. :)

***edit***

Another thing came to mind. I have removed the inner cowls so maybe that is helping?

***edit***

Last edited:

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Reminds me of my work days on the Hibachi Davidson in City - air cooled wonder with the back cylinder very close to you know where.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The t-6 is 5wt oil with a package to thicken it up to 40wt. The standard 15-40 always gets better numbers for me from the lab. I'd say use the dino 15-40.

Top Bottom