Roasted Nuts... Not the culinary sort.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Has nobody ever ridden any other bikes? Yea, my ST gets hot- the whole tank and fuel heats up, especially when at low speeds stuck in traffic. But every engine puts out heat. My Intruder 1500 did (though it had a false tank that didn't absorb as much heat), my old CBR1000 did, my wife's little Ninja does...heck, my KLR tank would get too hot to touch comfortably when stuck in traffic. You are sitting with a 1300cc, 4 cylinder engine between your legs. It ain't gonna be cool!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Has nobody ever ridden any other bikes? Yea, my ST gets hot- the whole tank and fuel heats up, especially when at low speeds stuck in traffic. But every engine puts out heat. My Intruder 1500 did (though it had a false tank that didn't absorb as much heat), my old CBR1000 did, my wife's little Ninja does...heck, my KLR tank would get too hot to touch comfortably when stuck in traffic. You are sitting with a 1300cc, 4 cylinder engine between your legs. It ain't gonna be cool!
My Harley Davidson Heritage Classic puts off about 270+ degrees of heat right off the top of the cylinder just inches away from the boys :eek:4:
And to top that, the chrome oil tank is directly under your right leg.
These are bikes, they have moving parts, they get hot.

Bike
2003 ST1300
The t-6 is 5wt oil with a package to thicken it up to 40wt. The standard 15-40 always gets better numbers for me from the lab. I'd say use the dino 15-40.
I've been running the Rotella T6. Would there be any issue switching to the regular Dino oil? Specifically the DELO?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
No problem switching back to the Dino DELO, or Valvoline Premium Blue, or Delvac 1300, etc.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There has been lots of write-ups of riders putting the heat shielding under the tank and seat area, I got the heat shield under my tank, It helps a little , But the darn drugs the DR. has me on keeps me out of the heat and ridding for now, Better days are coming....
Mike
I have taken heat readings on several bikes that operate in high heat areas such as Arizona, Utah, Vegas, Yosemite, etc.
the before and after readings with and without the "heat shielding" has always been better without it! Come on folks, you use tin foil to cook a potato in an oven, and that's exactly what your building by shielding things off, your cooking your wires, hoses, and rubber parts etc. Same thing with you remove the inner cowls or drill holes in them, your now blowing all the hot air directly back into the trapped bodywork. Think of putting a fan in the back of your oven and blowing air towards you.
The cowls direct the heat towards the radiator, and allow the coolant system to work, when you bypass it by just blowing it straight back, undirected, you've got no control.

OP
OP

Tmac79

Tim
Bike
06 ST1300
I have taken heat readings on several bikes that operate in high heat areas such as Arizona, Utah, Vegas, Yosemite, etc.
the before and after readings with and without the "heat shielding" has always been better without it! Come on folks, you use tin foil to cook a potato in an oven, and that's exactly what your building by shielding things off, your cooking your wires, hoses, and rubber parts etc. Same thing with you remove the inner cowls or drill holes in them, your now blowing all the hot air directly back into the trapped bodywork. Think of putting a fan in the back of your oven and blowing air towards you.
The cowls direct the heat towards the radiator, and allow the coolant system to work, when you bypass it by just blowing it straight back, undirected, you've got no control.
I mostly agree.. Although it would be nice to vent that super hot air somewhere other than on my junk. :)

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I just bought an '05 ST 1300. During a 4ish hour ride from central Texas to Houston on a day with about 100 F temps, the tank (or air) got so hot that I had to stand up, move my knees around, slide back in the seat, etc. My previous (first) bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan and there was NO heat issue whatsoever, so I'd say that it is not an overall motorcycle issue. This has been a real disappointment to me since I hadn't heard about it before purchasing the ST. The bike has a custom Sargent seat in the lowest position, so there shouldn't be a lot of heat getting through, but it does. I am considering first just putting a towel around the back of the tank to see if that helps. May just end up with a hot towel. May have to remove the inner cowl as I have heard about.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just bought an '05 ST 1300. During a 4ish hour ride from central Texas to Houston on a day with about 100 F temps, the tank (or air) got so hot that I had to stand up, move my knees around, slide back in the seat, etc. My previous (first) bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan and there was NO heat issue whatsoever, so I'd say that it is not an overall motorcycle issue. This has been a real disappointment to me since I hadn't heard about it before purchasing the ST. The bike has a custom Sargent seat in the lowest position, so there shouldn't be a lot of heat getting through, but it does. I am considering first just putting a towel around the back of the tank to see if that helps. May just end up with a hot towel. May have to remove the inner cowl as I have heard about.
BIG difference between the two engines- the Kawasaki has half the cylinders and even the largest version, the 1700, has half the HP. The ST is a sport-touring bike- dress like either a sport rider or tourer with the gear, and you will barely notice the heat. Dress like a squid in shorts & T-shirt, and you'll bake. For local riding & short commuting I usually wear just my Joe Rocket jacket with boots, helmet, & gloves, and on hot days I can feel the heat. Still not much more than I felt with other bikes I've owned.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've been adamantly saying there is no heat issues.

Then I bought the current '05. It's a wee bit different then the Short Time '04.

I can now understand roasted nuts.
The gas tank if not completely full of liquid gets very very. .. very very hot.

The'04 I would occasionally feel a warm breeze over the top of the calf. But the new bike will char broil the inside of the thighs.

I apologize to any and all...

Bike
2005 ST 1300
What is HONDA's position on this? It is interesting that there is so much discussion on this topic, whether it is considered real or not. If I were the manufacturer, I would at least look into it from a customer service perspective.

Top Bottom