Rubber Coating For Tire Machine Grabbers

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My tire machine has 'grabbers' for the rim and but the plastic covers tend to break over time.
Anyone have experience with the rubber coatings that are out there (not Google experience but real world experience)?
Several options that work in 'theory' but I'm interested in some that have worked in the real world.
Thanks as always.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Not for this exact type of instance, but I just usually use liquid electrical tape as a non mar coating. If / when it goes to pot I just reapply in any thickness I want.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
No experience with what you mention. I put these on the rim where the machine grabs it. Mine don’t have strings on them.
E6DF130A-9E38-44D5-A714-AC0D8F71D9A3.jpeg

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My tire machine has 'grabbers' for the rim and but the plastic covers tend to break over time.
Anyone have experience with the rubber coatings that are out there (not Google experience but real world experience)?
Several options that work in 'theory' but I'm interested in some that have worked in the real world.
Thanks as always.
I dip my ram mounts in liq rubber. The little black tits that come w the ram arent very durable.
So, i dipped, let it dry and pruned them. I did three dips and they have been fine thru four tours. I bought a can of it at the local hardware
U can control how thick you need by how many dips

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used these rim protectors since few years with my tire changer and they are doing the job pretty well.
They stay firm on the rim and are surprisingly sturdy.
Having four of them is better (2 sets).

1680284778853.png
What kind of tire changer do you have - a manual one or an 'air' one?
I've got all kinds of rim 'protectors' but this is where the 'claws' grab the rim to hold the rim in place, not to protect the rim using levers.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've used the plasti-dip stuff for tool handles. It is not very strong and will not stand up to the pressure of a tire rim grabbing finger. IIRC, dropping a pair of linesmen pliers from a 6' ladder on concrete tore the end off the handles. You can find thick heat shrink tubing, but you cannot cut it - if you slit the tube, as heat is applied it will shrink, thickening and peeling back from where it was cut. There are different grades of heat shrink - the best ones won't be found on Amazon, but at a good wholesale elect. supply house.

Maybe post a picture of the 'grabbers'? What does the mfr of your tire machine say about replacement plastic covers?

Know any chemical engineers? Ask one about dippable plastic coatings that will be tough and abrasion resistant.

Plasti-dip is one of the options out there - I'm just curious if anybody has used it and how well it holds up.
I have used it. Things like files that don't have handles, etc. It is really tough stuff. It isn't "springy" like rubber but stays put for years and doesn't seem to chip. Don't know how many coats it would take for your goal OR if multiple coats changes it's nature. It is cheap enough that you could try it on the jaws of your bench vise.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I've got all kinds of rim 'protectors' but this is where the 'claws' grab the rim to hold the rim in place, not to protect the rim using levers.
These like the ones I posted above are basically the same. I put them on the bottom side of the rim and then clamp the claws on the protectors. Mine only has three clamps so I use three. Yours probably has four claws so you would need four. I have a manual machine but have used mine on an air/electric machine too.

I apologize if I don't understand how your machine works.

I have no idea what SupraSabre is doing to them I've had the same ones for years and they are tough as nails.

Clamp from my old Coats 220

3D8658E8-0674-40CA-98DA-216B0B905B9A.jpegAA0A38C2-7A30-49A1-8315-AA8123E263A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
These like the ones I posted above are basically the same.
I apologize if I don't understand how your machine works.
I remember when Phil posted that he bought his machine. It is air powered so I'd guess he steps on a lever and the clamps move inward to clamp the bottom of the rim.

I've seen some pretty cheesy rim protectors that looked nothing like your robust ones. Like everything else, some are good some not so good.
I have used it... It is really tough stuff. It isn't "springy" like rubber but stays put for years and doesn't seem to chip.
I don't remember the brand of the stuff I used, but it was probably 25 years ago. Tried it once and gave up after I dropped the pliers. The material was soft and felt good in the hand.

mtn-bike

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a Coats 220 (manual machine) and cut short pieces from an old air hose and put them on the rim after I let the air out of the tire. They work well and are a good way to recycle the hose.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Got it, I use a manual tire changer and these are intended to protect the rim from the spoons not to secure the claws on the rim.

Top Bottom