Rubber Coating For Tire Machine Grabbers

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The 16 mm version of this
Rim tape
I wrapped this cloth bicycle rim tape around my harbor freight grabbers. Thought it would get me through a couple changes, now at a couple dozen changes.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
How abouts a picture of what you have? If I could better visualize the situation I might have a more pertinant suggestion.

I do have some casting plastic here at the shop in order to custom make parts when needed. These formulas can be purchased in different hardnesses for specific uses. I can custom mold from existing parts or make entirely new pieces with a casting silicone form and modeling clay.

For easy, fast rim protection, I have split heater or hydraulic hose pieces lengthwise, depending on size and applications.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Got it, I use a manual tire changer and these are intended to protect the rim from the spoons not to secure the claws on the rim.
Correct. They are intended for spoon use. However they work great as protection from the “claws”.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I’m with @Valker on this one. That truck bed liner stuff seems pretty tough and adheres well. Plus you don’t want something overly thick that could lose it’s grip on the rim.

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I think the easiest way to go about this and be able to make multiple, repeatable parts is to make a silicone mold of the part that you want. The part can be easily made with a modeling clay formed directly over the claw and shaped exactly as you want it and built to slide or lock in place. Once the model is made, you cast a silicone mold with silicone 2 part resin. After the mold is completed you can make as many copies of the part that you want. I still have some 2 part semi-soft urethane compound in stock that I had used to cast some tactile electric button covers.

There's a lot of info on YouTube on how to make these molds and parts. I've got the vacuum pump, the pressure/vacuum vessel, air pressure, modeling tooling and everything else to make custom parts. I refused to pay over $250 for each half of a broken joystick handle on one of my machines a couple years ago so I was able to tool up and make all my parts for under the $500 and still have lots of materials left over, plus the tooling.

If you want to go this route, let me know. I think I still have enough materials to do everything you want as long as they have not gone bad on shelf life. The modeling clay lasts forever and I have plenty of that, along with mold release and everything else with long shelf life.

If you go the bed liner route, I've also got some rubber crumbles left over from a project I did with the bed liner material. It's fairly tough stuff but you won't find that in different hardness values like you can with the castable materials. Watch YouTube and do some research on the different materials available. What you want is available - you just need to figure out the specs you need for your application.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
5years and 110+ tires mounted and they are holding up fine. Cheap to replace if I need to.

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine came with plastic covers but they have cracked and won't stay on the clamps (a slide on fit).
The Amazon ones look 'interesting'.
The Amazon ones I posted are for the lower cleats on the turntable. The ones in the previous post are adapters for rotor clearance and Are a little different. I have those as well but have not had issues with them.

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
The issue is the ones that come with the machine just slide on (not very tightly) and there is no way to bolt them on.
And I hate to glue some on then have to deal with the 'mess' when they need replacing.
My machine is a Chinese made Mayflower. Standard Coats tire machine covers fit. They have never cracked or popped off in 110+ mountings. I wonder if something is different on your machine. Your upper cleats look like my lower cleats. The Amazon ones I first mentioned would be worth a try.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The issue is the ones that come with the machine just slide on (not very tightly) and there is no way to bolt them on.
And I hate to glue some on then have to deal with the 'mess' when they need replacing.
Time to rip out the cordless drill and tap set... ;)

Top Bottom