RyanF9 learns to ride like a cop!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The last couple of minutes, Ryan was not simply using the clutch to modulate his speed inside the cones, he was opening and closing the throttle... we try to teach that clutch control in the Basic RiderCourse in the u-turn boxes exercise (Ex.9).
If you can't get to an actual police course, many similar exercises are duplicated (including the Iron Cross and some others I saw here) in the MSF Basic Bike Bonding and Ultimate Bike Bonding courses. They are a hoot! And you'll definitely sharpen your skills, but they're not after speed as much as precision and control.
Nice to see the ST1300 and that (what I believe is) CBX, although I've never seen cops on a CBX.
(But hey -- at least they weren't on Harleys! Just had to throw that in there, didn't I?)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I took an Advance Rider course a number of years ago, taught by a Cop Instructor. The skills are amazing, but it is sure HARD on your clutch! :well1:
I agree, I don't see the point unless you want to compete in those types of activities. I think it's useful to practice doing a u-turn.. but that's it.. not worth burning a clutch and for touring I rarely do u-turns. I typically pull into a parking lot and turn around as that's a safer maneuver anyway.

It's cool to watch LEOs during competitions though, truly a skill.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Honestly I don't do u-turns on the street (much less a highway), but I just like to know that I CAN do these maneuvers, because I like to see just how good I can get.
And doing these sharp turns can definitely be a challenge, if you don't do them, or don't ever practice. As with most things, it's easier with consistent practice.
I'll be doing the same kinds of things on a GS/A... when Someday comes (a nod to the morning coffee club thread.)

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
As usual, Ryan F9 videos are the best.

But... I have no interest in tossing around a 750 pound motorcycle as if it were a toy. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I can't/won't.

I'm interested in a second, smaller bike (Triumph Speed 400?) and maybe then I'll be more comfortable flicking it about.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I practice U turns, circles, figure 8s, and 90 degree turns from full stop quite often on all my bikes. It takes 10 minutes or less in a parking lot near my house and usually at the end of a ride after filling up with gas. No one needs to know how but it's fun for me and it helps my slow speed confidence no matter where I find myself on a ride or trip. That's why I have 8 drops on my tip over count. I don't watch videos as a rule but I'll take a look.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
^ ^ ^ THIS! ^ ^ ^
I only have 2 tipovers, both times doing tight turns in a parking lot.
Maybe once I get a GoldWing, I can get up to 8 drops too...
Meanwhile, I've learned how to wheel this ST1300 in small spaces, and don't anticipate adding to the tipover count. This is not saying I'm perfect, but I agree with Dave... it's fun! Well, it's fun once you get over the nervousness and fear of dropping it. It's quite a capable big bike, so long as you keep it on the tarmac.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
^ ^ ^ THIS! ^ ^ ^
I only have 2 tipovers, both times doing tight turns in a parking lot.
Maybe once I get a GoldWing, I can get up to 8 drops too...
Meanwhile, I've learned how to wheel this ST1300 in small spaces, and don't anticipate adding to the tipover count. This is not saying I'm perfect, but I agree with Dave... it's fun! Well, it's fun once you get over the nervousness and fear of dropping it. It's quite a capable big bike, so long as you keep it on the tarmac.
All 8 on my tab were on the ST1300 and those within a few months of buying it in Feb 2006. I reentered riding in late 2005 after a 20 year hiatus and never owned a bike like the ST but I was determined I would be master of the beast and not the other way 'round. Once the principles are learned they apply to any bike. No wait, I guess I need to edit my count to 10 because I dropped the 2015 NC once getting familiar with DCT at walking speed manuevers on a slope and the RT in some muddy wet grass a couple of winters ago. Man, that was a cold wet rain that day and I just wanted to get in the shelter of an empty county roadway maintenance barn on the side of the road. "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I agree, I don't see the point unless you want to compete in those types of activities. I think it's useful to practice doing a u-turn.. but that's it.. not worth burning a clutch and for touring I rarely do u-turns. I typically pull into a parking lot and turn around as that's a safer maneuver anyway.

It's cool to watch LEOs during competitions though, truly a skill.
There was a video of some Japanese police riders doing a course like that on ST1300s - truly remarkable for such a heavy bike.

Pete

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Did you mean the bike that Ryan is riding? That's an early 80's GL500 Silverwing which was based on the CX500.
My bad, that is the one. I have never seen much of the CX500, but have heard of the Silver Wing.
The panniers looked to be the same shape and size as those rare ones on the big inline 6-cylinder. I kept looking for a good side view, where I thought I'd be able to confirm or deny a CBX.
The profile of 6 cylinders was quite unique and memorable.
Thank you for the education!
And I always love watching the police rodeos, especially the Japanese on Japanese bikes. We do occasional gymkhanas around here, and I always try to get to them and ride. Challenging myself is always a good time.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I took an Advance Rider course a number of years ago, taught by a Cop Instructor. The skills are amazing, but it is sure HARD on your clutch! :well1:
Agreed, my GF wasted a NT700VA clutch set prematurely during/due such a training... ;)

IMG_20230506_144422.jpg

(it's now mounted on the wall... :biggrin:)

But the gained skills and confidence are priceless...

I'm a bit of a veteran, instructors nod with a grin, young dudes with small bikes drop their jaws on the deck over an ol' ST1100 buzzing around the cones... :cool:
Hard braking practice? No problem for that +30 year old technology sans any electronic helpers... that rig flies in and stops on a dime, two fingers, one toe, mewling tires...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My ST1300 clutch is still going strong at 29k miles, and I don't hesitate to use the fiction zone in u-turns.
I won't worry about it, just change it when it starts acting cranky.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My ST1300 clutch is still going strong at 29k miles, ....
Sorry, had to laugh! 29K? ;)

It took 60K miles on my 2010 to wear out my clutch in SoCal commuter traffic.

What's different between SoCal commuter traffic and normal computer traffic? Lane Splitting, which is also hard on clutches! When Lane Splitting, you are on the throttle, clutch and brakes all the time.

This is just a 5 minutes clip of a typical SoCal commute. You can see my speed in the lower right corner.

A normal day in the life of Lane Splitting

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I really like RyanF9 .....

Thanks!

At least I don't feel guilty about counter-sitting anymore......(always wondered how it would feel doing that sitting on an RDL?!).

Was left hanging on the braking though. Poor braking technique was on the list of charges when Bryan was arrested but he never expanded on how he improved on that.

I find this training mostly useful to build muscle memory for evasive manoeuvres....like around this load of bricks that fell from the flatbed in front of me!

Am put to shame by how good the riders are on this site though, still able to count their drops! Me...am just happy if I can fit the protectors back on the crash bars once I am done. And also built up some confidence on picking up the old beast by now.

Top Bottom