• Laam

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Motorcycle Dave

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
My first '06 ST1300 (purchased new) had the stock seat. My second '06 ST1300A (purchased used with 2700 miles) came with a heated Corbin seat (as well as the stock seat). At this point in time the heating unit is not hooked up; being in Florida I haven't felt the need for it. I do find the Corbin more comfortable than the stock seat for longer rides, but I still find myself starting to squirm a bit every couple of hours or so on it. I'm usually ready for a break by then anyway.

If I didn't have the Corbin I would definitely get Spencer's LD comfort seat mod on the stock seat. In fact, I'm thinking of doing it anyway one of these days, just to see if it's better than the Corbin. Right now I have other farkles I'm working on (lights) before spending money on the seat mod.

I'm 6'2" and hit the scales at around 215 lbs or so. Oh yeah, and my wife says my butt has dissappeared (meaning it's bony, I guess), so maybe that's part of the problem. :D

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Another Spencer believer here.

He did mine this past summer and it's great for all the riding I do.

Steve:04biker:

Just goes to show there is no one size fits all.

Mine came with the stock seat, and a heated corbin (not the close).

I hated both (though I have kept the corbin for the cold days), and I got a seargent now, and just think that seat is great.

Made all the difference in the world.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
"By that time the velour was washed out so bad that I decided to have it covered in leather."

Bob,
What exactly do you mean by "washed out"?
I had a Velour seat made by Diamond for over 10 years and 60,000 miles, and it still looked almost new when I sold it (even the stitching). It was black, and I did use a raincover most of the time, when in a downpour.
I thought about a velour Russell, but not if it's wore out in 2,600 miles.
Ed
Sorry, but sometimes I'm a bit slow in answering ...:cool:

My problam was that I didn't cover the bike and it sat in the San Burn-arse-dino Sun and baked. Within a very short time it was almost white (like what you see in that picture.) So with that in mind, I went with the leather. and I also keep the bike covered. :p:

Last1Out

STOC 7165; KLRST 52
STOC #
Mine's still new so I'm on the stock seat. I'm 240 pounds and I did the top front, middle rear setup adjustment and so far so good, but the longest ride has only been 270 miles. I want to find out how far I can go on the stocker before I switch (if I do) to an aftermarket seat. I've been using a Corbin on my 1200 Bandit and 500 mile trips on that are a breeze, so I might go that way on the ST, but I think I'll try the Spencer mod first. Christmas is coming you know!

STOC #
As a life-long LD (long distance) motorcyclist and new ST owner, comfort is upmost in improtance. I'm 6'4" and 235 pounds, so the stock setup had to go immediately.

I added a 1" handle bar riser, and dropped the rider's pegs 1". STill not enough. After trying the seat in all 3 positions, I find the stock setup (at all 3 heights) pushes me forward toward the tank, scrunching my gonads an further cramping my knees.

A couple of days ago, I put the rear of the front seat in it's lowest position and just sat the front of the seat on TOP of the little bar. I like this better, as it raises the front and pushes me a little toward the back of the seat. I'm still experimenting with different combinations, looking for best ergonomics. I may try an aftermarket seat later.

Sub

sbe

STeven
STOC #
I've got a Russell Day Long that the previous owner had custom made. He and I are about the same size and weight, so the seat fits well. I do have to slide forward at stops, to get my feet flat - I imagine the custom seat added an inch or two to the stock height. Otherwise, I find the seat very comfortable - tilts my pelvis forward, relieving pressure on my lower back. Beats my VFR's cardboard seat!:biker:

Bike
Honda 2009 DN-01
STOC #
:policeST: Have only had two seats, the STock seat and the SargenT. My longest ride on the STock seat was from Kalmazoo, MI to Ft. Morgan, Colorado (1050+ miles). OMG then I knew the true meaning of 'iron butt'. I was so damn sore, had trouble standing straight. Later, I ordered the Sargent through the group buy (Sport Touring). After 6-8 week wait, my brand spankin' new Sargent (Daytona perforated leather) seat arrived. Damn impressive looks and build quality. Nice nifty storage pockets, but how was the ride ?:cool:

Firt ride 100+ milers, I am like okay, what is the big deal? The seat feels flat and where was that gold-wing-style-living-room comfort that I was anticipating? First true test was Phoenix to Reno ride to pay my brother a visit (755 mi). Left Phx 5:30am arrived Reno 5:30pm. No iron butt, no detectable soreness, nothing, nadda, zippo. Oh joy, the SargenT seat really performs!!!:clap2:

Every butt is different, but mine oh so happy :rolleyes: on the SargenT (5'9; 205lb):rolleyes:

I am trying to lose 50lbs (going from 240 to 190), so I am undecided between Spencer and a Russell. Spencer is a lot cheaper, but I need some advice. I generally ride 150 miles max daily. Should I Spencerize or get the BIG TAMALE!! HIGH PRICED SADDLES??

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I have the Spencer seat mod and I use a sheepskin as well.

STOC #
I have a Corbin and can be in the sadle for several hours at a time without any problems...I'm 6' 1" @ 215lbs...so probably being a little "wide in the glide" adds to the comfort. Ok, so I'm a little on the heavy side...but I really was something in my prime...honest!

My wife and I both prefer the Sargent over the stock.
Multiple 600+ mile days no problem on the Sargent.
Stock seat was ok the first day, but became quickly unbearable on subsequent days.

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Fat tall boy here with a Sargent. At 6'4" and 300 lbs. I found the Sargent a better fit for me then the stock, and I thought the stock was pretty good for OEM! I also use a Alaska sheepskin butt pad and on long long distance rides I also wear LD Comfort riding shorts which I love!

The Sargent is wider than stock, is a flatter platform and much firmer. I don't slide into the tank like I did on stock and the Sargent feels much more "formed" to me than stock. I like my Sargent. But since I am a "big boy" I still have to stop every 100 miles or so for a stretch.

Bike
06 ST 1300
STOC #
Another vote for Spencer. The first time I sat on an ST I thought the seat felt like a 2x6 with some vinyl stretched over it. and after riding for a few hundred miles not a whole lot better.
After getting both front and rear seat mods from Spencer done last winter I'm pretty happy. The cost was under $100 and now with over 10k miles the seat is better than ever!
Thanks again Spenser

Bike
'93 ST1100
You needed an "other" category. I currently run a Saddlemen (Travelcade) Stealth saddle (with Gel inserts) for my '93 ST1100....).
+1 on other or Travelcade in a general seat of choice thread!

Looks like the Travelcade is one of the top 2 or 3 seats to have on an ST1100 with only Russell a step up.
But at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, no old seat or pan needed, no build time, and no ugly wings, it might be the best overall for an ST1100.

EDIT: I take back what I posted above. Yes, the Travelcade is much better than the Corbin, but still nowhere close to being comfortable after a few hours. Ended up buying a well used 100,000 + mile Russell, built for people nowhere close to our size, and it still blows away all the other seats tested. Can go all day without butt pain.

Last edited:

kdj

Bike
ST1300 x 2
I managed one day on the stock seat before deciding I needed something else!

I rode a couple of hundred miles on the Sargent yesterday and it is so much better.

So, for a seat you can order today, ride a couple of days later and looks good on the bike, I'd recommend the Sargent.

Instant gratification is satisfying :07biker:

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've had to make a seat change on every bike I've owned in the past 12 years. I'm 6'3", 270# so I guess I'm just not exactly typical. I spent BIG bucks for a Mustang seat for my HD Road King Police and even more for a Diamond seat on my '01 Goldwing.

I got the Spencer LD mod when he was first offering the LD option of his mod. I LOVE THIS SEAT ! The only thing I want more of is even more leg room and Spencer said he can add some more to the my seat when I send it back down to him. The Spencerized seat is completely comfortable, my long abused knee's just need as much room as possible. NO, peg lowering is not something I would consider.

As far as stopping every hour to stretch, a good plan. I also stretch without stopping by standing up on the pegs for a mile or two while underway.

As soon as Spencer gets his heat option ready, I'll send my seat back to him to get the seat raised just a little more and add the heat.

Great price for great results and wonderful customer service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom