• Laam

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Motorcycle Dave

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm new to ST's, but live just outside Seattle. Friends with other bikes have had nothing but rave reviews of Rich's saddles. Since I'm close enough to ride in, they are high on my list.

I'm just wondering if there aren't more ST owners with them because they want you to ride in to be fitted? So, is it a distance thing, or is there some other reason they're not more popular with ST owners? Are they too expensive?

The Russell's, orangutang-look notwithstanding, seem pretty popular. Did most people with a Russell do it by mail instead of riding there?

--Jon

Bike
2004 Honda ST
Wish they had a program where you could try before you buy. I have a sargent and its not bad but after a few hundred you start to feel it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wish they had a program where you could try before you buy.
Meet some of your local ST neighbors and see what you can try. I got lucky and met a friendly local fellow that loaned me his Russel and a Spencer to try. The new bike had a Corbin on it and I have a stock.. none of them have really fit me too well so I'm going to order a Mayer and cross my fingers, read some good reviews on him.

But check out some seats at a local gatehring. Not sure where in Ohio ya are but if you can make it to the Indiana tech event you should be able to see a few non-stock seats there.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just ordered up a Sargent seat from a Ebay seller that allows returns within 30 days with no restock fee.
Sounds safe to me since there is no way to know if my hind quarters will be happy until I try it out.
I'll report back on the results when it arrives and I find out.
If it works like I hope, there will be another Corbin seat for sale in the classifieds

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I'm new to ST's, but live just outside Seattle. Friends with other bikes have had nothing but rave reviews of Rich's saddles. Since I'm close enough to ride in, they are high on my list.

I'm just wondering if there aren't more ST owners with them because they want you to ride in to be fitted? So, is it a distance thing, or is there some other reason they're not more popular with ST owners? Are they too expensive?

The Russell's, orangutang-look notwithstanding, seem pretty popular. Did most people with a Russell do it by mail instead of riding there?

--Jon
Ordered mine via online order form, and the requisite pictures. Picked up a second hand seat to send in.

Neither I nor my SO have had any issues with fit. We both love how it feels. We ride all day without issues.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just ordered up a Sargent seat from a Ebay seller that allows returns within 30 days with no restock fee.
Sounds safe to me since there is no way to know if my hind quarters will be happy until I try it out.
I'll report back on the results when it arrives and I find out.
If it works like I hope, there will be another Corbin seat for sale in the classifieds
Just received and installed my Sargent and first impressions are BIG improvement over my Corbin.
Flatter, wider (at least a inch and a half), firmer, and significant increase in stiction (I don't get enough chances to use that term I learned in college, butt it works here)

Wife's first impressions are big improvement too (although her's was a static test)

Road test will come Sunday for the REAL test up highway 1 to Big Sur for lunch

Bike
05 ST1300A
This is my first season with Russell Day Long seats and I couldn't be happier. The new seats, along with a newly-installed Heli riser now allow me to keep going all the way to the next gas fill up without the need to stop every hour due to aches and pains. My ST1300 is now the long-range touring bike I've always wanted.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
For my ST1100, the new Russell Day Long is THE best thing I have bought for it ever! Who gives a ff what it looks like, when what matters is your comfort! All day riding and my arse doesn't even know it has been on a bike! See my review in the Products Review section of the forum.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I use the AirHawk with my Sargent seat for the long haul rides. If there are others like me, you wouldn't be capturing the AirHawk with after-market seats. Maybe add the AirHawk alone and allow for more than one button to be selected...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
1991 ST1100....the stock seat looks plain compared with the Corbin or Sargent..... but is perfectly comfortable for both my wife and myself. Will use until it starts to wear out then will probably replace it with a Corbin seat.

my current seat is a Corbin, mind you it wasn't MY choice( for that reason I didn't respond to the poll)...it came with the bike. one good thing I can say about it, is I can say what seat I don't want- that's gotta be worth something, right?

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Last year at the BRG Dave (dduelin) and I swapped bikes for a while. When I got off of his NC700 I asked him what the seat was because it was very comfortable. He said it was a Sargent. Dave then bought a Tiger like mine and fitted it with Sargent. Then he sold it and bought the Sargent from him and love it. I know this isn't an ST but I would assume the fit/feel is the same.

When I had my ST I had a stock, Spencerized and Russell and couldn't make any of them comfortable. I wish I had tried a Sargent. Just my experience. Your butt may vary.

Bike
St1100
So i got a st1100 93 knowingly that im going to have to mod a few things to fit the bike... I'm almost 6'3 230lbs what seats do some of you bigger boys like???

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
So i got a st1100 93 knowingly that im going to have to mod a few things to fit the bike... I'm almost 6'3 230lbs what seats do some of you bigger boys like???
I'm about your weight, and riding an ST1300. I went with the Russell Day Long, front and rear. Pricey, but now my passenger and I can ride, literally, all day in comfort. We've done up to 500 miles together, and I've done up to 900 miles solo. If you choose the Russsell, be sure to follow their instructions. I can attest that they work. https://www.day-long.com/gallery/honda/

ST1100 Seat
ST_1100.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
St1100
Thanks for the advice any one try one of those Euro Motard seats yet? Been seeing them on ebay... curious about them

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just ordered my 4th RDL.

My first was a used one for my V65Sabre v65sabre_bluestreak_7.jpg

The second one was the one I ordered for my '05 and after the front faded real bad I had them recover it in leather st1300_saddle.jpgrussellseat_leather1.jpg

My third was the one I bought off the forum here a couple of years back dsc00762.jpg which is now okay for commuting on, but I needed something built for me. My build date is May 9th.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I take from your comments accompanying your photos that the new RDL will be leather covered? I wish I'd done that with my Laam. The carbon fibre look vinyl I chose continues to be more slippery that I'd like.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I take from your comments accompanying your photos that the new RDL will be leather covered? I wish I'd done that with my Laam. The carbon fibre look vinyl I chose continues to be more slippery that I'd like.
Yes, it will be leather. I actually ordered a Laam, didn't like it, that's when I bought the third RDL, sent the Laam back for adjustments, he made it worse, I sold the Laam a few months later. Yeah, I lost money on that one! :(

Top Bottom