Sena 30K vs Cardo Scala PackTalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
seroomnz said:
T.W.O. does mention his prime purpose is video blogging so the 30K is over spec'd for his purpose.
He also specifically mentions that the 30K with a particular firmware update dropped the noise floor to zero and has cured the popping that couldn't be cured with the 20S. This is a pretty good spec for his use over-spec'd otherwise or not.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
SO in line with the heading on this thread this is what I have been able to glean from various sources including Sena's own user forum.
Sorry it's a JPEG I couldn't place a table into the textbox.

packtalk vs 30K.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
After watching lots of YT reviews I believe I am going to go with a Cardo Packtalk Slim. Mainly because they are waterproof and can be charged on the fly. Thanks for all the suggestions.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The waterproofing is a big plus for me on the Cardo. Plus, the consensus from all I've read on here and FJRowners, FJRforum, Advriders and YT reviews points to the new Cardo bold or Slim. Now I will start looking to see which vendors have the best price!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The waterproofing is a big plus for me on the Cardo. Plus, the consensus from all I've read on here and FJRowners, FJRforum, Advriders and YT reviews points to the new Cardo bold or Slim. Now I will start looking to see which vendors have the best price!
I'd stick with the bold.. that way you can plug it into a power source like top box/tank bag and not have to leave the helmet.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
And as for the waterproofing, my SENA has been in heavy rain in all temps for many hours of riding, and only once was it glitchy. I dried it out and all is still well. I think its a good product and I am happy with it, and this product is my only reference to communicators. My son and father in law are looking right now as well so I am interested in this post. Sena, my FM range is limited, the line of sight talk isnt as advertized, less but still ok.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'd stick with the bold.. that way you can plug it into a power source like top box/tank bag and not have to leave the helmet.
I like that you can pop the bold unit out of the mounting bracket and lock it in your bags if you have to lock your helmet on the bike. But I don't like the looks of these things on the outside of the helmet. I like the looks of the slim better than the others. I believe you can still charge the slim while riding too so being able to charge without the helmet present is probably not going to be a big deal to me.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Just two quick thoughts...maybe three. ;)

1. My Sena 10C has survived daily use commuting in all kinds of Seattle weather with no issues for waterproofing at all. It's not waterproof technically, but if you look at it, it seems designed to keep water out. The power connection and memory card opening are on the bottom. In fact, it can be charged in the rain while using it.
  2. I think of buying a BT headset as a collective, rather than an individual decision. If you will never connect to anyone else, go buy an el cheapo headset off of eBay for $49. They work just fine. But if you want to connect to your buddies, then you need to think of what they are using as well. All newer BT headsets will pair with other brands now. But they pair as if the other BT headset is a cell phone, not as if it is the same brand headset. There's a difference in the range and capabilities when you connect as a cell phone.
  3. At least on my Sena 10C, popping it off the mounting bracket is not an issue.
Chris

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
As for charging while riding, if you have a "battery pack" for recharging and if it is the size of a cellphone, like the four of mine are, you can put it in your jacket pocket and use the USB supplied cord (with you 20S or 30K), and continue to use it while listing to your music (like I do) or talk, whatever.

The biggest issue for me with both the 20S and the 30K is the Bluetooth interference I get while riding. And I'm sure it's from all the other vehicles around me. Because, when I was up in Oregon for WeSTOC, I never got ANY interference while listening to my music from my GPS. As soon as I got back home and started doing my commutes again, it was there.

So to fix this issue, I am using my Mini-MP3 player, connected by phonejack to the back of the 30K Mount. I can hear it just fine, without that "off station sound I was getting"

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not going to get anything that doesn't have the "mesh" technology. BT is getting kinda long in the tooth and I can't see spending money on the older tech. Heck, there is no guarantee that the new mesh and voice command won't be obsolete in 6 months! Anyway, it will either be the 30k or the Packtalk Slim, more than likely it will be the slim.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The mesh technology sounds interesting. I too would want that on my next BT headset. I'm locked into Sena now, (though I see no reason why to change). Two other riders bought Sena BT headsets so they could talk to me. And I found others in my area of the country that also have Senas. No one I've come across has a Cardo, though I've heard they are excellent.

Where the mesh technology might be beneficial is when riding with more than one other person. I rode back from a COG rally in Idaho with two other people who had Senas. We paired up just fine. However, what I realized part way home was the middle person in the group was the controlling headset that we were all paired through. She liked to listen to music, so would cut off her group intercom...which meant that the lead rider and myself couldn't communicate. I think the mesh technology might alleviate that...but I'll bet everyone else in the group has to have both a BT headset from the same manufacturer and the mesh feature.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know very little about both the Cardo and Senna comm units. Two months ago I went with a friend to a vendor in Troy, Ohio that has been highly rated by other bikers. I asked the guy there which was better. He said it really depends on who you ride with and what you want to do with the unit. Bottom line - if you ride w/ Senna users, buy Senna, and v. versa. For my use - talking to very few riders, but wanting to link my phone and gps to the helmet, he recommended the cheapest Cardo unit.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I got a new Shoei RF1200 the other day. I got such a good deal on it that I ordered a Cardo Packtalk Slim today. Got them both from www.motorcyclecloseouts.com. Got the Cardo for $269! Free shipping and no tax! I hope it works as advertised!

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Cardo came in today. Got everything installed and have it charging up. I am not real thrilled with the way the battery pack fits on the back of the helmet. Got the radio pre sets set and all the other settings done. We will see what happens tomorrow!IMG_20181009_210141052.jpg

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I got a new Shoei RF1200 the other day. I got such a good deal on it that I ordered a Cardo Packtalk Slim today. Got them both from www.motorcyclecloseouts.com. Got the Cardo for $269! Free shipping and no tax! I hope it works as advertised!
Ok, I haven't read the whole post, I just wanted to say first go online and update it. Set up your profile, free, because without the update you'll have problems connecting to others. Use the DMC to talk with others, I'm loving mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom