OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Ok, I haven't read the whole post, I just wanted to say first go online and update it. Set up your profile, free, because without the update you'll have problems connecting to others. Use the DMC to talk with others, I'm loving mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Did all of that and mine already had the latest firmware installed.

Do you have a pic of how the battery pack mounts?
I will get one. The mounting bracket seems like it needs to go in about a quarter of an inch more.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
After playing with it in the house, I'm finding that the voice command doesn't always work. The big speakers have good sound but I took them out to use my earbuds. I tried leaving the speakers in with my earbuds but I thought I was going to have to call EMS to get my helmet off.
Hopefully I can try out the bike to bike at the BRG. So far, I think I'm going to like it.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 30K I've been testing for a review. Mesh intercom is a cool technology, does a better job at keeping a group connected than Bluetooth intercom. The 30K is otherwise quite similar to the 20S Evo (latest iteration of the 20S), so you can connected it via Bluetooth to your phone, GPS, etc. One thing I like about the 20S and 30K is you can connect in-ear speakers to the audio out jack and get way better sound quality than the helmet speakers. If you wear earplugs anyway, in-ear speakers can provide the sound attenuation you want plus you can listen to music or radio or intercom if you like.

I have no experience with Cadro Scala PackTalk so can't help you there.

--> FOLLOW UP: The 30K does not have Audio Multitasking in Bluetooth Intercom mode, which means if you connect to another BT intercom (like a Sena 20S) you can't have music playing in the background drop down automatically when you talk on BT intercom. No problem if you're connected on Mesh Intercom to another 30K, but there aren't a lot of those out there yet.

On a recent ride to Moonshine it was annoying that if I wanted to talk to another rider on an open BT intercom channel, I couldn't have music playing. If I wanted to talk via intercom I had to push the button on, then talk, then push it off if I wanted to hear music again. Reached out to Sena and they explained that on the 30K they did not include the Audio Multitasking functionality for BT intercom, only for Mesh intercom. I asked them to rethink that decision, citing the small number of 30K users available to connect with via Mesh. I asked if they could offer a firmware update to include Audio Multitasking for BT intercom. Not that they'll do what I ask, but I put it out there.
New update to Sena firmware and management software and audio multitasking has been added to BT on both 30k's and a couple of the 10 units. Improved clarity and supposed to fix the popping.

Rolled out in the last week...

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Still haven't road tested the Slim yet. But, after playing around with the settings I have gotten the voice command to work pretty good. Might be able to road test tomorrow!

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Took it out for a ride today. Voice command worked well. Music was very good streaming Pandora from my phone. Phone calls were very good. FM radio reception sucked. I hope to test the bike to bike at the BRG next weekend.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Good that most things worked. I find all works well and the FM reception is limited even though I routed the wire for the other speaker over head as stated.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Cardo came in today. Got everything installed and have it charging up. I am not real thrilled with the way the battery pack fits on the back of the helmet. Got the radio pre sets set and all the other settings done. We will see what happens tomorrow!

Favours the Packtalk Slim.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Thought I would update here:

Cardo recently, quietly, released a software update that allows their Smartpack that was software limited to 4 DMC meshed riders. This update basically opens the Smartpack up so it has ALL of the features that the Packtalk v1 (non-bold) has. So now all Smartpacks, Packtalks and Packtalk Bolds can participate in a 15 rider DMC Mesh AND each of them can bring one non-cardo device (like a Sena 20s / 30K) into the Packtalk DMC mesh using the DMC bridging feature at the cost of ONE of your regular bluetooth devices (like a phone or GPS). I've tested this with my 20s.....but since you can still find NEW Smartpacks for about $130 online....why not just pay the price and pick one up.

I've been pretty happy with the switch to the Cardo platform. I find it much more stable and refined than even the newest 2.x+ Sena firmware.

<D>

Bike
2001 st 1100
I was thinking about this thread and was going to suggest something similar. I rode to Utah with a guy who has a Chinese BT headset. He leads a group often in the area and picked up two of the headsets. The rider in the sweep position has the same unit. I think they were around $49. He has no problem pairing because they are the same brand and model.

If all the OP's needs are to listen to MP3 music, take phone calls and use as an intercom, this would be worth checking out.

Chris
I'm also looking,,,, Sena 20s was my best choice so far for cost and I what I need it for. I don't ride withy many very often and the lady goes a few times a year.. So for me it would be music,, phone.. The gps would be waze and I can see it on screen of phone. I will also look at cheaper Chinese thing

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Just another update. I'm all in with Cardo now. Managed to sell my used 2 Sena 20s's for $10 more than what a pair of brand new Smartpacks would cost. :) Many of us will be using these at this year's WeSTOC. should be fun and hope to see you there!

<D>

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
New Cardo firmware was released last week... Not so quietly since they sent an email about it to registered users.

Plug in to a computer & use the website to download/install.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thought I would update here:

Cardo recently, quietly, released a software update that allows their Smartpack that was software limited to 4 DMC meshed riders. This update basically opens the Smartpack up so it has ALL of the features that the Packtalk v1 (non-bold) has. So now all Smartpacks, Packtalks and Packtalk Bolds can participate in a 15 rider DMC Mesh AND each of them can bring one non-cardo device (like a Sena 20s / 30K) into the Packtalk DMC mesh using the DMC bridging feature at the cost of ONE of your regular bluetooth devices (like a phone or GPS). I've tested this with my 20s.....but since you can still find NEW Smartpacks for about $130 online....why not just pay the price and pick one up.

I've been pretty happy with the switch to the Cardo platform. I find it much more stable and refined than even the newest 2.x+ Sena firmware.

<D>

Maybe you could mount one on each side and talk and hear everyone? :think1:

:rofl1:

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I recently bought a new Denon AVR home theater receiver for the house. It also has BT. Now when I roll the bike out of the garage and connect the Cardo with my phone for music, it connects to the Denon in the house! I have to go down the street a bit to get my music and Cardo working!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I recently bought a new Denon AVR home theater receiver for the house. It also has BT. Now when I roll the bike out of the garage and connect the Cardo with my phone for music, it connects to the Denon in the house! I have to go down the street a bit to get my music and Cardo working!
Shouldn't you be able to un-pair the Denon from the Cardo and stop that happening?

Top Bottom