Helmets Sena Outrush helmet?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Seems to have good reviews from a quick Google search, especially at that price point. It would be a nogo for me b/c the Sena is built in... I prefer it to be separate to move from old to new helmet. My two Sena SMH10s have lasted through 3 helmets.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
It says that it supports rider to rider but doesn't say what models are compatible, I have Cardo on my other helmets, so guess this one could be for solo riding :)

Bike
2005 st1300
Hmmm... a helmet with bluetooth comms built in for the price, or less than some bluetooth comms. The only thing I would suggest is waiting until closer to riding season, so you could exercise your right to return it if you aren't happy. I would be very skeptical of the quality of that helmet at that price. Im not saying it is good or bad, just that if you bought it now and couldnt try it for 3 or 4 months, you may not be able to return it then.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Read the spec sheet, I have to a$$ume it uses in-helmet speakers?
I say that because no mention of earbuds, or capability, so therefore a deal-killer for me.
Prefer the option for earbuds for noise isolation. I've never had speakers provide the quiet of quality earbuds, and I always hear audio better without wind noise, at ANY level.
For that reason, I've never been able to appreciate a bike with on-bike stereo systems. Unless you just want a jam box for your your buddies, when ya stop at the campground.
Don't hate me.
Just *my* preference.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Anybody heard anything good or bad on this product? Seems a very reasonable price at Fortnine, especially with bluetooth built in?
Think about how fast wireless technology progresses, and ask yourself if you want a helmet with built-in electronics that have that kind of obsolescence.

What happens if those electronics stop working?

Bike
2005 st1300
Read the spec sheet, I have to a$$ume it uses in-helmet speakers?
I say that because no mention of earbuds, or capability, so therefore a deal-killer for me.
Prefer the option for earbuds for noise isolation. I've never had speakers provide the quiet of quality earbuds, and I always hear audio better without wind noise, at ANY level.
For that reason, I've never been able to appreciate a bike with on-bike stereo systems. Unless you just want a jam box for your your buddies, when ya stop at the campground.
Don't hate me.
Just *my* preference.
This^^^
I went to wired earbuds and would never go back to speakers again. With speakers, you still have noise between the speakers and your ear. I wore foam plugs with the speakers and sometimes couldn't get enough volume to overcome the earplugs. With 'buds, the noise is suppressed and the music is clearer and I am able to listen at lower levels. I upgraded to a much better helmet (quieter and better ventilation) and with the earbuds, I mostly ride with the bikes windscreen down and it is much more enjoyable.

Sidenote... my cardo bluetooth system had provisions to unplug the speakers and plug in earbuds if that was something one wants to do and I felt that is a big plus with a comm system. I ended up just running my buds cable straight to my tablet as I was not impressed with the battery life of the cardo, but it is great to be able to switch buds and speakers in your comm system if you choose to go wireless. This is a side benefit to having a standalone comm system as opposed to a helmet with an integrated comm system... you have flexibility and aren't locked into what the helmet maker gives you.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
What earbuds do you have? I've wanted to try earbuds but not sure what will fit in the helmet.
I have a preference for Etymotics in-ear wired earbuds, but they are pricey. They are used by musicians and sound technicians / editors, for their fidelity.
(They are pricey, particularly when I forget to put them where they belong, and my wife's cats chew on them.)
What is really nice about Ety's (most models) is they have soft 3-baffle, silicone tips which do an excellent job of cancelling noise - but I can still hear enough to not be deaf to car horns, screeching tires, etc. - and are comfortable enough for me to wear all day long with no pain. I don't need any lubrication on them, and they fit flush with the outside of my ears and do not interfere with wearing a helmet. Ety's come with a couple extra sets of different shapes, too and they are easily removed, as well. And being wired, means there's one less thing for me to keep charged.
(EDIT: I should mention that I usually wear some type of helmet liner to reduce the hair and sweat and funk that is collected by the foam padding, and this only makes it easier to put a helmet on and off without rearranging the earbuds. Currently using LDcomfort liner.)
When I ordered my last replacement set, I spoke to their sales department and I fessed up and told him I left them out, and my wife's evil fur babies destroyed them. He took pity on me and discounted a new pair. I've had 3 pair now, and average life without cats seems to be about 5 - 6 years. Enough time for the models to have changed / upgraded a couple times.
Having said all that, you can likely find decent wired earbuds for about half the cost from other manufacturers, such as Shure, JBL, Kenwood, etc. Probably others, as well. I wrecked a pair by Sony that had the over-the-ear clips, because they obviously were not made for use with a helmet.
I use them from my phone, for listening to music or talk radio or podcasts, as I normally ride solo these days. Most of my riding clubs have become less active than previously. I guess they're getting old.
I'm not.
Here are their new entry-level ones, but I paid for a more upscale set.
1610169283783.png
Etymotic website.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
What earbuds do you have? I've wanted to try earbuds but not sure what will fit in the helmet.
Something similar, but not nearly so pricey are Plugfones, available on Amazon- I tried them on advice of others here, and they definitely rock my world. They take a bit to get inserted properly, ( there's a learning curve), but they seal up REALLY well, and I have found that I can turn my iPhone down to about 1/2 volume and still enjoy the music quite well. I use them mowing the lawn, weedwhacking, and for a lot of riding. With them in, I can just BARELY hear the mower engine running. For about 17 bux, you can't go wrong

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you want to try the wired earbuds route and don't want to spend a lot of money, try these. I've used them for years. Might be the best bang for the buck out there.

I had a pair of these Koss-es, but the cord-to-speaker junction is delicate. I have big clumsy fingers, and destroyed their usability in short order. When I had them inserted enough to be effective on the bike, there's no good way to remove them (for me) other than pulling the cord itself. Not conducive to earbud longevity, no matter the brand.
But I agree, there ARE other options without spending big money.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I get what you're saying. Oddly enough, I've never had that problem. Mine usually pop out as a result of me taking my helmet off.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It says that it supports rider to rider but doesn't say what models are compatible, I have Cardo on my other helmets, so guess this one could be for solo riding :)
Without having researched it, this seems like a good helmet at a great price. Every entry in to the field provides more options, competition, better pricing and further advances the technology to the benefit of us all in my opinion.

The Sena 20S series communicators have the capability to pair with other non-Sena brand communicators using a universal intercom protocol. If this unit has this functionality, it will work with your Cardo communicators assuming that they also have this feature. Older communicators may not have this function. The universal intercom does work very well, but it has a reduced range compared to when the Sena is paired to another Sena unit.

The one thing that caught my attention was its listed range of only 0.8 KM. The Sena 20S is rated as having a 1.2 KM range when paired to another Sena. I think that this is very optimistic and would be in perfect conditions only. It is the rare time that this range is actually achieved in my experience. I didn't see where it states whether or not the Outrush helmet system has the capability of universal pairing. It has a range of 0.8 KM listed. If it does have universal intercom pairing, and that feature further reduces the listed range as it does with the Sena 20S, the range of this unit will become very limited in that mode. If range is not a priority in your riding scenario, then none of this matters.

One other feature I would look in to, again depending on the type of riding that you do, is whether or not it can be charged while it is being used as a communicator. Not all communicators have this ability. I have had my Sena's battery deplete on me before the days ride was over. Being able to charge it while using it at the same time is a handy feature.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I looked at that helmet a few months ago. It wasn't in stock in large or I would have bought it.
As did I, got an email this week saying L was back in stock, seems to be the only size they have now.
PS I bought it, for the price I'm not too worried if it's not the "best". Blue tooth to my GPS & phone will be all I really need.
One other feature I would look in to, again depending on the type of riding that you do, is whether or not it can be charged while it is being used as a communicator. Not all communicators have this ability. I have had my Sena's battery deplete on me before the days ride was over. Being able to charge it while using it at the same time is a handy feature.
Good point there, I see the charging cable seems to be near the quick release buckle incorporated under a cover on the strap.
Guess I could always run a cable to a USB port perhaps, we'll see when it arrives what the charging voltage is. Usually an 8 hour ride in a day is enough for me anyways. I personally find modular helmets easy to get on, I know they are probably noisier than a full face, but the ST windscreen with my laminar lip really keeps the wind down on my head, I find.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
As did I, got an email this week saying L was back in stock, seems to be the only size they have now.
PS I bought it, for the price I'm not too worried if it's not the "best". Blue tooth to my GPS & phone will be all I really need.
I'd be curious to hear how it compares to your current helmet as far as fit/finish. What helmet are you currently using?

Thanks

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Currently a Scorpion modular, think the pricing was about the same...but around 10 years ago :oops:
I'll report on the fit/finish when it arrives.

Top Bottom