Sena SMH10R initial review

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
So I went ahead and purchased my first bluetooth intercom system because I'm getting ready to attend my first rally next weekend. I've got my GPS set up real nice on my dash with the 3 ball RBIS system and I must admit I like it. So I now want to hear my GPS for the rally so I buy the Sena SMH10R because I've heard some good things about it and it's nice and slim on the helmet. Arrives in 3 days from Amazon.com so kudos to them for the fast shipping. I go ahead and install everything in/on my Shoei Neotec. No problems there, installed in about 15mins. Try to pair it up with my iphone 5s...no problem there, that took about 3mins. Cool, now let's go pair it up to the Garmin Nuvi 2595 LTM. Not so fast buster, the GPS recognizes the Sena but it won't connect. Hmm, let's try it again, and again, and again and probably 15 more times. Tried it as a phone and as multipoint pairing but nothing ever happens.
Time to get on the horn to Sena and find out what the problem is. So all the advertising details says it pairs with GPS, phone, mp3 and every other electronic gizmo in the universe...simply not the case. It won't pair with the car GPS. If you ask me it's a bit of bait and switch. It will pair with the $600-800 Zumo though. Sena mentioned that if my GPS has a 3.5mm audio out then I could use a bluetooth transmitter. Well it doesn't so I'm stuck with a system that at the moment can only do about 25% of what I want it to do. I can make and take phone calls while riding and to be honest, that is the least that I want it to do. Most of the time I get on the bike to get away from the phone.

So, in the end, if I knew then what I know now. I wouldn't have bought it. In fact I probably will remove it before the rally and ship it back. Thanks anyway Sena! My .02

Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Not sure what's going on but I got two different reply posts on my phone from Dinkie at 10:20 and 10:40 that are not showing up here.
Here is the User's Guide that explains how to pair. Page 19-20 7.4, 7.4.1 (this step is what I did), 7.4.2 ( I did this step also just to see if it would work). Note the note at the top left on page 21. I've looked around for what type of profile the Garmin is using and can't seem to find it. HFP or A2DP.

Here is the exact reply I got from Sena by email.

Hello Skip,

The Sena Headset can pair to a GPS, but only if the GPS allows for the connection. The Nuvi series was made by Garmin as a car GPS and thus, can only pair to a Bluetooth Phone. Garmin made a Zumo series to be able to connect to motorcycle Headsets, not just our headsets, but to other Headset brands as well. The only that GPS can connect to the SMH10R, is if that GPS has a 3.5mm audio out port and you can connect in a Bluetooth transmitter that uses HFP (or A2DP, but A2DP has the lowest priority on the Headset and all other functions would override A2DP). Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, it won't be able to connect to that GPS.

Regards,
xxxxxxx

Skip

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
You may have run out of protocol room on the Sena. If your GPS will only use the cell protocol to pair, it is already taken up by the phone on the Sena.
Try deleting the I phone from the Sena and try pairing your GPS with the Sena again using the phone pairing method. If that works, then try pairing your phone with the GPS first and then pair your GPS with the Sena. It just might work as you want. I have had difficulty pairing my garmin 765 with the Sena on occasion but eventually it goes.
Good luck.
Rod

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
It's not the Sena, it's the Garmin. The Garmin wants to be the 'headset' for a phone (it has a speaker and microphone), not be an audio source. The Sena IS a headset. :shrug2:

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Yep, its the Garmin. They cheaped out with the non-Zumo units and did not provide (read pay for, just as they no longer make units with mp3 players) A2DP.

Greg

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
It's not looking good. I think I've tried every considerable configuration and the Sena /Garmin just can't get along. Reminds me my ex-wife.
Oh well, you live and you learn...at the cost of $165. Still not sure if I really want/need this just for phone calls.

Skip

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
As mentioned, pairing the non-Zumo gps to a bluetooth headset is of little use. The spoken driving instructions won't come through the bluetooth link. The GPS just uses that to auto-dial your phone and show you caller ID. Some of the old Nuvis would work that way, but Garmin decided to keep that feature reserved for the considerably higher priced (for little reason) Zumo line.

A lot of us use the regular Sena 10, and from what I hear, everyone is pretty happy. I really like mine.
Sorry to hear your having issues... but it sounds like it's the GPS causing them and not the Sena.
Sena's email is correct, but they aren't doing a vary good job of explaining it and how it should all work.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yes, no issues there. But you have to make sure your phone is not filling both slots.
I'm assuming you are using a smart-phone of some type? It's probably pairing both phone and mulit-media.

I don't pair my GPS to the headset. No driving instructions are given, so what is the use? Just watch the screen.
If I need verbal instructions, pop google maps on the phone.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So does the SMH10 connect to a non Zumo GPS?

Skip
Yes and no. Some of the older Nuvi's will pair. I use a 765 sometimes and it does pair with the Sena. Most of the newer "non Zumo" Garmins will not pair with the headset. Their advertised Bluetooth function can only be used to become an extension of the phone, not broadcast directions, music, etc to the headset.

Rod

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It's not looking good. I think I've tried every considerable configuration and the Sena /Garmin just can't get along. Reminds me my ex-wife.
Oh well, you live and you learn...at the cost of $165. Still not sure if I really want/need this just for phone calls.

Skip
Sorry to hear Skip....
It is a limitation of the Garmin and Sena. That's why the older Autocom's were so good. You could link anything to anything.
I ran into the same problem till I started using my Gamin 760... the older car models had features like earjacks anf mp3 players built in. I went the way of the dongle so it feeds the mp3 and gps into the sena. ( didn't want to drop the big bucks on a high end garmin )
Sometimes the simple things work better.
If you want to add an extension pigtail earjack to you car Garmin, I got a spare BT dongle.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Sorry for the delayed response Tom. It being the weekend with my sons soccer, parties and Mothers Day it's nice to get back to work to slow down a bit. I'd be interested in speaking with you about your alteration/setup. I'll shoot you a PM with my number so maybe we could talk instead of type.

Skip

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
If you add a SR10 to the setup, you can plug your GPS into it, and a two day radio or cb, etc. The SR10 converts them all to Bluetooth and sends it to the SMH10 while still allowing the SMH10 to pair to your phone.

Greg

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Not sure what's going on but I got two different reply posts on my phone from Dinkie at 10:20 and 10:40 that are not showing up here.

Regards,
xxxxxxx

Skip
Skip, I posted two different replies then realized I didn't address your concerns specifically so I deleted them both before I looked stupid.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
If you have a GPS that does not BT the directions but has a 1/8 audio jack and have no intention or need for a 2 way radio (CB or other) adding a SM 10 will give you a place to hard wire the 1/8 audio to and the sena can then BT to that. Also you have 2 ports on the SM10, I have one and am using the 2nd port for my radar. It works just fine. So I have phone directly to the SMH10R, then the GPS and Radar to the SM10. BT the headset to both and you are all set.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Just to clarify, the SM10 is less money than the SR10. The only real difference is that a two way radio or cb can also be connected to the SR10, enabling communication with other riders who have GMRS/FRS devices (two way radios, Chatterbox, etc.) or a cb.

Greg

Top Bottom