Sena SMH10R initial review

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just to clarify, the SM10 is less money than the SR10. The only real difference is that a two way radio or cb can also be connected to the SR10, enabling communication with other riders who have GMRS/FRS devices (two way radios, Chatterbox, etc.) or a cb.

Greg
The SM10 is a DUAL Stream BT ( SR is not )... the Dual Stream allows you to send the audio to 2 separate headset at the same time ( you and passenger )

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The sr10 is simply a transmitter that will take a hardwired signal input and send it out to a Bluetooth receiver. It has 2 inputs. Audio and auxiliary. You can pair both smh10 headsets to the smr10. The intercom function will be retained but both headsets will hear whatever is being sent out by the sr10 (e.g.. both will hear the GPS output.)

Rod

Last edited:

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
On a side note.I have also been using smh10 and it would not pair with my non zumo garmin.. I purchased a tomtom rider and it pairs great with sena and my android samsung. And as per tom tom/sena instruction i paired the tom tom with my sena as a phone not gps. I then paired my phone to tomtom the system works great i can see who is calling or map directions while still using intercom headset to headset

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
While the Sena is a great product ( I love mine), many forget the limitations of the Sena ( only 3 BT connections - HST, A2DP, Intercom ) and the lack of Garming units to link ( garmin's looking for a phone access # on mine ) seems to cause many people to be turned off.

I think it's part of the " i want it all " theory. This seems to work but only at a high price of a Zumo.

Before you buy a BT headset , you should have a pretty good idea of what you NEED vs WANT.... then ask the crowd here as many have been there before and will save you money and a headache.

FWIW; my setup is the Sena 10's with an old Garmin 760 ( mp3/audio book player and GPS ) and a simple plug in A2DP dongle. Dongle sends the music/gps to the Sena and the phone overrides.
Down side is intercom overides A2DP ( lowest priority ) but that doesn't bother me.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Just a quick update. I have uninstalled the SMH10R and returned it on Tuesday. Hopefully for full reimbursement minus my shipping cost and probably a restock fee. Guess I'll look at other systems now and ask more detailed questions but I'm also thinking of just having a visual GPS. I just really liked the low profile of the SMH10R and the supposed ease of bluetooth. I'd really like to try and stay away from buying something and then buying something else to make the first purchase work by hardwiring this and plug that into there. It really shouldn't be this difficult and I prefer not to have my cockpit look like a commercial airliner cockpit.
Thank you for all of your help...as confusing as it is.

Skip

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It's not really rocket science... and it can be done fairly cheaply, esp if you have a smart phone ( or even a half-smart phone like me ).

I use a tracfone GSM... runs me $7-8 per month ( and I can replace it for $20 ). This gives me Intercom( with group too ), music, phone. The phone links as HST and A2DP so the 8gb card in the phone has losts of music. As GPS, it for just visual, no audio.

If I want GPS/MUSIC then it is a A2DP dongle plugged into the GPS and I link it before the phone ( so only the phone links as HST ).

The wife has a CDMA tracfone ( verizon )... the advantage is she has Voice dial thru the Sena, I don't.

With the newer V5 Sena software, it allows you to share music with another , see ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9iQwdq1vE

It does work, and work well but still has it's limits!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just got my Sena SMH10 units there is another firmware update 5.0.1 I must say compared to my BT Interphone system the Sena's pair up easily Iam waiting for my SM-10 unit so I can get XM via BT as well.

Top Bottom