Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
How has that unit worked for you. They have put that unit on sale in case anyone else is interested at $119
https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycles-GPS-Navigator/
I haven't had any issues and have been quite happy with it although I haven't had a chance to run it on the bike to see if the screen will wash out. I have loaded routes using Tyre and after getting over my own stupidity on where to put the route I haven't had any issues with the route working. As far as I can tell it sets up just like the rage and seems to worsk really similar to it as well. It is just about the same thing as the rage only is has a bigger screen and comes with the sun shade cradle so I think the washout from the sun should be reduced. I would recomend it t anyone that is interested in getting a GPS and thinks that the name brand motorcycle specific ones are over priced.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I'm also waiting for the review ..
Mine is slow to get sat's and the battery lasts about 3 minutes .
Sometimes in cloudy weather I lose or can't even pick up the sat's
I split the case to see if I could replace the battery, but I could not find one that looked like it would work.
With the new model , I would think my igo software would work .

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you currently have a Peaklife or a Rage, you should be able to use the same software. You will need to edit the SYS.txt file and get the screen resolution 'correct', but it should copy across fine. I keep a copy of the IGO8 software on my desktop so I can create additional microsd cards for my additional units. Is your unit less than a year old? If you bought it direct from Chinavasion, you might open up a complaint to see if they will replace the GPS chip set (they did that for me in one of my units under warranty).

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
If you currently have a Peaklife or a Rage, you should be able to use the same software. You will need to edit the SYS.txt file and get the screen resolution 'correct', but it should copy across fine. I keep a copy of the IGO8 software on my desktop so I can create additional microsd cards for my additional units. Is your unit less than a year old? If you bought it direct from Chinavasion, you might open up a complaint to see if they will replace the GPS chip set (they did that for me in one of my units under warranty).
+1 on the warranty. I sent mine back and they replaced it with a new unit. Functions ions better. It also gets the sat's quicker too (approx 2-5 minutes rather that 20 minutes to never).
It takes 2-3 months turnaround time.

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Tim - Did you have Rage before or go straight to this one? Also, have you had any issues with it acquiring satellites while in the cradle? Just curious.
I never had the Rage so I really can't say the are exactly alike but I used your set up instructions that you posted and every thing worked just fine. I haven't had any issues with it working in the cradle and that is the only way that I have used it. I am very happy with it.

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I finally had a chance to use the GPS on the bike today it work well and I didn't have any issues with the operation. But the sun did make it difficult to read when the sun was hitting the screen directly but I think that I was just using the suction cup mount that came with it mounted on the tank just in front of my tank bag. I think that if I could mount the unit up higher and get it sitting more vertical that it would work better. I have to do some research on mounting options to find the best fit. I did find out that I didn't have the back light all the way up and once I turned it up it was quite a bit better but not great. If anyone has any specific question I will do my best to answer them. I haven't had any issue with it acquiring satellites in fact I turned on the unit to day in the back of my garage today and did have signal them and by the time I rolled down the driveway about 40' and turned on to the street it was tracking me. The only real experience I have with GPSes it with military DAGR's there hand held versions and they would have taken several mile to start tracking. I have to say I am impressed

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
How do you have yours mounted on you bike? With the way I had mine mounted today it sat almost horizontal and the sun shade that came with it didn't work well. I was thinking that if I had mine mounted on the handle bar where it would sit higher and be more vertical I think that it would work a lot better.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tim - I fabbed a bracket to bolt on top of my front brake reservoir, then bolted the cradle to that. I don't mind it being slightly off to the right. The RAM stuff will work with the cradle, you just have to get the RAM replacement for the ball attachment - RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U. With this, you can use any of the RAM mounts with the cradle. On the Rage and the Peaklife, I just put industrial Velcro around the outside edge of the cradle and attached the shade to that. You can make the shade as 'deep' as you have material for.

Attachments

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Pardon the question before hand but my GPS arrived and shows a page to assign a path. When the maps get here, is this where the pathway will show up?

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Pardon the question before hand but my GPS arrived and shows a page to assign a path. When the maps get here, is this where the pathway will show up?
Yes you may have to click a few time to get down to the right folder that has the file.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Okey doke, just going through making sure the unit functions properly. Thanks and will get back with you next week when I get around to getting the maps.

Hello guys, sorry to barge in here, but perhaps there's a few of you interrested in a little "iGO Primo" project we started last year. We as in me and some people on the dutch motorcycle forum "motor-forum.nl". We created a skin with some addons to help improve iGO Primo for us motorcycle riders. I came here because while searching Google for experiences on the "Rage" and "Peaklife" in combination with iGO your forum kept popping up. Maybe I could convince some English speaking riders to try out the mod. Ofcourse it's free, no spam or anything included in the mod. Just a hobby project created to have a good working yet affordable motorcycle GPS. Our forum is unfortunately in Dutch so it might be hard to understand, but you should get the main idea if you use Google translate on the following link: http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/387181/iGO-Primo-24-Motorcycle-Edition-1.html

So far the mod includes things like bigger buttons, larger quickmenu, removal of several features non existant on the Rage and Peaklife such as TMC, a Waypoint mod to better handle misplaced waypoints in imported routes and many other things.

I'll gladly answer any question but ofcourse I'm also looking for any suggestion to improve upon the current version of the addon.

Mark

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mark - Do you have a solution when you are in route and miss a waypoint? Right now, I stop, 'find' my current position, enter it as a waypoint, make it the 'start', then edit the route to delete the 'errant' waypoint. I currently use IGO8, not IGO Primo. Are the map files the same for both products?

Phil,

I do have a solution for that, let me explain. I build something into the Motor Edition as we call it, to handle waypoints. There's two ways to handle waypoints:

1. Automatic skip: Within iGO you can now set a range for the program to automaticly skip the waypoint. The way it works is when you enter the set range nothing happens at first. However, if its a misplaced waypoint and you are withing the configured range of it, it will automaticly remove it once the distance to the waypoint becomes bigger again. Hope I explain this right in English. I'll give an example:
Say the range you set the automatic skip function to is 300 meters. The waypoint is misplaced in a side street. Once you enter the 300 meter range but drive past the side street the waypoint is placed in, it will automaticly skip it because the distance to the waypoint becomes bigger as you drive past.

2. The "Skip Waypoint Button". You can configure a range to a waypoint for this button. Once within this range a button will appear on the screen (big enough for use with gloves) that allows you to skip the waypoint manually by pressing it. There's also an option to always have that button on screen instead of configuring a range.

And yes the maps and POI files for iGO8 can also be used with iGO Primo. Note tho, the Motor Edtion addon only works with iGO Primo 2.4

Example of the Skip Waypoint button:
xmocrb.jpg

Waypoint Management menu:
5un4op.jpg

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Mark,
I have downloaded this from the link you provided. If I copy the unzip file to a mini card will this give me the software IGO Primo to operate my Rage? I saw that you have a youtube video as well to assist in the set-up ( I was able to follow most of it)
De laatste versie van de Motor Editie kun je hier downloaden:
v1.8 (includes English translation): DOWNLOAD

De laatste test versie is 1.8.3, download deze alleen als je nieuwe functies wilt testen:
Test release v1.8.3: DOWNLOAD

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Mark - Do you have a solution when you are in route and miss a waypoint? Right now, I stop, 'find' my current position, enter it as a waypoint, make it the 'start', then edit the route to delete the 'errant' waypoint. I currently use IGO8, not IGO Primo. Are the map files the same for both products?
It took me awhile to figure out that I had to delete a waypoint, as it would not direct me forward or illustrate the new route until I did delete it.
I just go into the edit Route screen and delete the waypoint and the route recalculates and takes me to the next waypoint

Top Bottom