Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

Mark,
I have downloaded this from the link you provided. If I copy the unzip file to a mini card will this give me the software IGO Primo to operate my Rage? I saw that you have a youtube video as well to assist in the set-up ( I was able to follow most of it)
I'm afraid not. The links provided contain the modification to iGO, not iGO itself nor any map files. I'm sure there are similar rules on this forum against posting copyrighted material. I can help you with the iGO program files though, the map and poi files you can take from your other iGO installation should you have it. The weird thing about iGO is not being able to buy it for GPS units :(

Send me an e-mail or private msg

It took me awhile to figure out that I had to delete a waypoint, as it would not direct me forward or illustrate the new route until I did delete it.
I just go into the edit Route screen and delete the waypoint and the route recalculates and takes me to the next waypoint
Yup that's how it works, the reason I created the options I mention in my earlier post is because you don't wanna do all those things while driving ;)

Mark - I'd be delighted to give it a whirl, but I only have IGO8 and not Primo. BTW, what language is PRIMO written in? I happen to be a VB Net programmer.
It works the same as modding for iGO8, with .lua files. I can hook you up with an iGO Primo 2.4 install if you want but you'd have to me PM your e-mail so I can send it with WeTransfer.
Nice to here you are a real programmer! I'm not haha actually thats why somethings probable take a while for me to figure out. I work in IT but had to learn how this .lua stuff worked just by trying. I started last year when I had a TomTom Rider for a while and got so annoyed with it I just had to alter iGO to make it better usable on a motorcycle.

*Edit* I've send you a PM

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hello guys, sorry to barge in here, but perhaps there's a few of you interrested in a little "iGO Primo" project we started last year. We as in me and some people on the dutch motorcycle forum "motor-forum.nl". We created a skin with some addons to help improve iGO Primo for us motorcycle riders. I came here because while searching Google for experiences on the "Rage" and "Peaklife" in combination with iGO your forum kept popping up. Maybe I could convince some English speaking riders to try out the mod. Ofcourse it's free, no spam or anything included in the mod. Just a hobby project created to have a good working yet affordable motorcycle GPS. Our forum is unfortunately in Dutch so it might be hard to understand, but you should get the main idea if you use Google translate on the following link: http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/387181/iGO-Primo-24-Motorcycle-Edition-1.html

So far the mod includes things like bigger buttons, larger quickmenu, removal of several features non existant on the Rage and Peaklife such as TMC, a Waypoint mod to better handle misplaced waypoints in imported routes and many other things.

I'll gladly answer any question but ofcourse I'm also looking for any suggestion to improve upon the current version of the addon.

Mark
I like what you have done to the program, and I like how Primo looks on the screen compared to IGO8. I'm experiencing a problem loading routes. I've created a route and saved it as a KML file and uploaded it to my Content/USERDATA/ROUTE file on the card. The routes don't show up when I click on LOAD ROUTES in Primo. Have I done something wrong? There was a test KML file already loaded in that folder and it doesn't show either.
thoughts?
cheers
Robert

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like what you have done to the program, and I like how Primo looks on the screen compared to IGO8. I'm experiencing a problem loading routes. I've created a route and saved it as a KML file and uploaded it to my Content/USERDATA/ROUTE file on the card. The routes don't show up when I click on LOAD ROUTES in Primo. Have I done something wrong? There was a test KML file already loaded in that folder and it doesn't show either.
thoughts?
cheers
Robert
Hmm, I had no trouble loading routes on mine and I 'saw' the tst11. You might 'reset' your SATNAV pointer to primo.exe just for grins and see if that does anything.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hmm, I had no trouble loading routes on mine and I 'saw' the tst11. You might 'reset' your SATNAV pointer to primo.exe just for grins and see if that does anything.
Did that, still the same. I made up a route on the GPS itself and saved it, but I can't find it in the USERDATA folder either. There happens to be two ROUTE folders in different locations on the card.
one is in the SAVE folder the other is in the USERDATA folder

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did that, still the same. I made up a route on the GPS itself and saved it, but I can't find it in the USERDATA folder either. There happens to be two ROUTE folders in different locations on the card.
one is in the SAVE folder the other is in the USERDATA folder
Two route folders? Something is strange about that. Are you running from the microsd card or the internal memory? My 'route' folder is
<X>:\Primo\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE|<routename>.kml

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Two route folders? Something is strange about that. Are you running from the microsd card or the internal memory? My 'route' folder is
<X>:\Primo\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE|<routename>.kml
on a side note I found 4 more route folders under profiles one for each profile. I was also able to change the language under each profile to English, I hadn't pressed the button hard enough I guess.

Yes UP I'm using the same path as you on my microsd. Probably the routes I have created on the GPS unit are going to internal memory and that's why I can't find them. My Mac doesn't recognize the GPS as a drive so I have to pop out the micro card each time, and load it via a card adapter.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
on a side note I found 4 more route folders under profiles one for each profile. I was also able to change the language under each profile to English, I hadn't pressed the button hard enough I guess.

Yes UP I'm using the same path as you on my microsd. Probably the routes I have created on the GPS unit are going to internal memory and that's why I can't find them. My Mac doesn't recognize the GPS as a drive so I have to pop out the micro card each time, and load it via a card adapter.
I don't 'see' any user profiles when I hook my GPSs up to my windoze boxes. It just appears as a drive (two drives - one internal, one is the microsd card). My hunch is you are being 'Mac'ed. ;-)

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
AFAIK, Primo only looks in the root 'route' directory for routes, not under the profile folders. The 'native' routes are stored in a different format and there is a 'master' data file that keeps track of them - I just don't remember where it is located (at least that's the way it is on IGO8).

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Okay, Okay I now feel like a dumb twit......My routes can be retrieved on the PRIMO software. The issue stems from what the program reads as a label and what I saved the label as. For example I saved the file Stratford northern route. KML and on the gps it reads "557 Main Street ->26 Market PL" Which is the centre of Winnipeg to the Centre of Stratford. When I planned the route it had the most efficient way by going through the States but when it loaded it showed the Canadian route which coincided with a route that I had actually planned on the GPS unit itself.....so I was confused.

I decided to load some of the RTE files that were on my IGO8 program I was able to find them when I pressed load on the PRIMO software. So what was labled Gerhard RTE comes out as Dashwood7->Timhortons3 go figure????

Now that I have figured this out, the true test will be this weekend when I drive back to Stratford in my van. I have plotted my route with a number of waypoints ( I want to try the waypoint bypass button) I will also try some other features on the program, the MPG feature, the different profile feature. This should be fun
Thanks to the folks that helped me out with this.
Cheers

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've a got daily rides and one trip on it (will have another one this weekend) and I really like the PRIMO - especially the better handling of dealing with waypoint manipulation. My only issue now is the amount of 'heads up' time it gives for the next turn. It's just a little short for my liking, but Mark says it is a feature that could be changed by programming and he is looking into it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I've a got daily rides and one trip on it (will have another one this weekend) and I really like the PRIMO - especially the better handling of dealing with waypoint manipulation. My only issue now is the amount of 'heads up' time it gives for the next turn. It's just a little short for my liking, but Mark says it is a feature that could be changed by programming and he is looking into it.
The IGO8 gives warnings 800 metres in advance, I believe there is a slider control to determine how far advanced you would like it to be, I thought I saw it in PRIMO and I searched every menu, again I was mistaken.
I was able to save the route under a different name, by first loading a route and then clicking the "MORE" button it allows you to save the file under a new name. I think it then goes to internal memory.
When I was reading Mark's instructions, he mentions that by saving the files in this manner and moving the original files to a backup file the program will load quicker.
He lists other tips here http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/387181/iGO-Primo-24-Motorcycle-Edition-1.html copy and paste in google translate
UP enjoy the RTE this weekend

Hey guys, glad you're enjoying Primo so far ;)

Sorry I saw this a bit late, but better late than never right? :p
First off, What kiltman says is true, in iGO you will see the route name mentioning the first and the last waypoints. A tip many users on our forum use when making a route is to name the first waypoint and the last point with relevant information. For example: The first waypoint is named "Stratford" and the last one "200miles". We make our routes mainly in "Tyre" which is software that has a free version and is also compatible with Garmin, TomTom but also iGO: http://www.tyretotravel.com

Also right about the tips regarding the saving of a route. When you first load a .KML route from \CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE\ you should go back into Route Options, More, Save Route. This is because Primo seems to load slower with .kml files in that folder. The more you have, the slower the initial loading of Primo (only the startup). By saving it, it creates a .dat file in your profile (\SAVE\Profiles\01\routes) which doesnt affect the loading time, plus has the added bonus of giving your route a name you like. I myself move the .kml files after saving them to a different folder on my GPS to be able to share them later if I need to.

Now on to the voice files. It's a shame I started reading this AFTER just sending a private message to Phil but I might aswell post it here too :p
You can edit the voice files by messing around in the command files that are within the voice.zip files. This is however very time consuming and risky if things don't turn out too well. The standard voice files, that end with -lua.zip, are also not that easy to modify. There are also voices that use different command files, so called ".csv files". Those are easier to read, and thus easier to modify. To make it even easier, I found a German forum where someone made a program to edit those .csv voices without even extracting the voice .zip files!

Long story short: you need different voice files than the ones you have by default in your iGO installation. Go to CONTENT\VOICE\ and delete (or move them somewhere on your pc as backup) the English (US) voice files.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s6fec3h49zcucwy/English_Voices_iGO.zip
Those are the same (US) voices you had before plus two new ones: Dave, Jason, Amy and Kenneth. Open the English_Voices_iGO.zip and put all the .zip files inside in \CONTENT\VOICE

Now for the voice commands editing.
Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/9f84n1dfc3z9m34/CommandsEdit.zip
Extract the contents to a folder on your pc. Open CommandsEdit.exe, select File > Open and open one of the voice files you downloaded earlier. Edit all the distances you want ;)

GL and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Oh before I forget, version 1.9 of the Motorcycle Edition is out. I made a special version for the forums here which already includes the voices mentioned above AND has a new loading screen for the 4,3inch units (like the Rage):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cko9cjkgay2vdm0/Primo+Moto+Edit+1.9(USA).zip

This also includes two new route calculations: Scenic and Less Freeways. If you already have an earlier version you don't need to extract the SAVE folder from that zip.

Last edited:
Installing the new 1.9 is easy:

Open the .zip, select all the folders and files inside (Except the SAVE folder since you are upgrading) and drag/extract them to your Primo folder on the GPS unit.

Working on zoomzettings for the next release:

Last edited:
I will definitely be looking into those customizations if they are motorcycle friendly improvements.
One thing I really miss from my very old and dead Garmin Streetpilot 2720 was the four hard buttons at the side. One of them would always get me immediately back to the map no matter how deep I was in menus.
I wish I could find that feature for the Rage. No matter where you get lost in menus, it's nice when you have to give up looking for an option that you can get back to your route map in one push.
Would it be a big matter to do that in programming?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In PRIMO motorcycle version, press the 'speed' indicator in the lower left corner and it brings you the 'main' menu (Power off, Destination, etc.) If you press anywhere on the map area, it brings up the 'options' menu (Route options, Route Settings, Settings, etc.) These customizations are very motorcycle friendly (large buttons, etc.) but only work with IGO PRIMO 2.4 not IGO8. However, the IGO8 maps are compatible with PRIMO also.

Top Bottom