Seven hour ordeal

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
Hi, on my last solo ride, the ST got a nonrepairable flat rear tire. This was in the mountains where due to the heat, I do most of my summer riding. There is no cell service. It's about 12:00pm.
So happened I was stopped at a defunct restaurant when the tire went flat. The pay phone is out of order. There was a group of three motorcyclist hanging out and they offered to call AAA when they got to the next town after a second planned stop. After about an hour and a half, they took off for their next stop. (Very nice, but I know I would have cut my stop short to make the call sooner than later.:confused:) While waiting for AAA to show, another rider on a new BMW stopped. He waited with me for over two hours. While he waited with me, we flagged down a forest service worker. She drove me to a remote fire station where I used their phone to call AAA. All is good. Per AAA, the tow truck would be there by 3:30, less than an hour. Perfect! During the wait, several cars stopped (one was going to make follow-up calls to AAA) and graciously offered food and water (of which I had some). About 5:30pm, another group of bikes show up and as still no truck, 'Darrin', offers to call my friend to come pick me up if I'm not home by 9:00pm. He also asks that I call him if I get towed or my friend picks me up. He stated if he doesn't hear from me, he's going to come looking for me. WOW! :thumb: Tow truck shows up about 7pm, we carefully load the bike and we're in front of the house about 8:30pm.
On the way home, I call Darrin and my friend that the bike and I are on the way home.
My question after all this, how do others handle breakdowns? I know the obvious answer is to only ride where there is cell coverage (not possible) and to only ride with a friend(s) (possible).
Oh yea, don't break down!;)
It was a bit unnerving (ok, I was frazzled) having to rely on the kindness of strangers (and not knowing if the other calls to AAA were actually made) to get home. Due to where I was stopped, I was never in any real danger, but as dusk approached I was thinking I might be spending the night. :eek: You begin to wonder if AAA dropped the ball?:well1:

IMG_5550.JPG

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow! Glad you made it home.
That is a good question. One I ask myself every time I ride solo. In mountains where lots of different things can happen, flats, deer, debris, ect, I wonder if anyone would find me if I went off road into a bush and no one saw me go in. Riding alone gives much freedom, but comes with a price of a different amount.
Spot finder products would help them find the carcass, or a very very tired rider.
I call my wife along the way and let her know where next to look for me and when.
T

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
A lot of variables to that equation. Carry a reasonable repair kit. If that doesn't work, and If the tire is forfeit anyway, ride it flat if it's still mobile. Maybe to a high point for cell service. Maybe to civilization. Slow is better than stationary.

Relying on the kindness of strangers happens. Many are willing to bend over backwards to help. Be kind. Be humble. Be patient. Roll with the situation as best you can. And a follow up with a thank you note or a gift card isn't a bad idea either.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
. Carry a reasonable repair kit.
+1 on the repair kit. Invaluable insurance. I often wonder and am admittedly a little anxious about this very situation that you found yourself in. No fault of your own, tires go down, it happens.
What I am impressed with is how many people were willing to come to your assistance in one way, shape or form.
Nice to know that there are still kind souls waiting to do their next good deed.:thumb: Awesome you made it home safe.

Bike
R1200rt
at least keep a can of fix a flat. should fix any small nail or screw till you get it repaired or ?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
All of the above. I know without internet, phone and such, but once you do get access don't forget about the RAN list on here. Maybe there would be someone close able to help. I ride alone at times and have had many great folks stop if I look like I need help, especially in the US. Canada as well, but I feel less response to a stranded biker here for some reason.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
He said the tire was nonrepairable, so repair kits, which he likely had, don't matter.

Glad things worked out and that a number of people tried to help.

I thought about this kind of situation often, the couple times I've been out West. Also occasionally east of the Mississippi.

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
What happened to you is something that is always on my mind when I ride long distances from home. Over the past 57 years of riding, I've had several flat tires (mostly with tube type tires in the old days), and an engine failure, all well before cell phones were invented. Sometimes I was able to repair the tube, other times I had to hitch hike or find a phone to call for a ride. Fortunately motorcycles nowadays are dependable, tubeless tires are less apt to puncture, and cell service is generally available. Our vulnerability adds to the excitement of riding a motorcycle. I crossed the country in both directions (7900 miles) in 1989 and made the trip with only one failure, a worn pinion bearing that was covered under the Honda warranty.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Your only assurance of contact with the outside world when you become stranded and alone is a satellite phone.
There are, however, two things that I have discovered about satellite phones:
1- the time that I looked in to this (quite a few years ago) the rate plans are way to expensive for most people's budget, definitely for mine at least.
2- they do not work everywhere. I am sure that the coverage is better than when I last checked, but for the price it had better work everywhere before I pony up for it.

I ride by myself often and in the middle of no where often. I tend to seek out no where. What is my solution? I don't worry about it because I can't do anything about it. If I did worry about it, I wouldn't enjoy riding. If I break down, so be it. What will be will be.

Doesn't really answer or help you, but that is how I deal with it.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I don't think many riders are prepared for a breakdown, mostly because it hasn't happened to them "yet".
I used to be in scouts, so I've maintained the "be prepared" motto since then. :)
I try to make sure my bike is maintained mechanically as well as I can to prevent typical breakdowns, but a flat tire is usually the most popular stoppage on the road IMO. I carry a small compressor, plug kit and some tools which I hope to never need.
The guys I have travelled with in the past carry nothing and have a good chuckle at how prepared I am when we go riding any distance. Obviously they haven't experienced a break down yet. Luckily, neither have I.
Travelling alone isn't a good idea, especially out in the non populated areas. It feels good to ride alone though, but not when you break down.
Try to be as prepared as you can be, then hit the road and deal with what ever happens as best you can!
Nice to hear that so many people stopped to offer you assistance!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
As the OP and DeanR said, the tire was not repairable so a compressor and plug kit wouldn't have helped. Other than relying on the folks who stopped for you or hitch hiking to the next town, there wasn't much else you could do. As for being prepared for unexpected failures in the middle of nowhere, you could carry a tarp and sleeping bag in case you did have to stay the night. One could also argue that carrying personal protection isn't a bad idea in case some ne'er do wells stop to try and take advantage of your situation. You just never know?
Glad you had folks stop and help you out.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Please share the details of the tire failure. Type of failure? Why was it nonrepairable? Brand of tire? Number of miles on tire? Tire size? There are some of us that would be understandably curious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom