Seven hour ordeal

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
As a roadside operator in a previous life, AAA farms out their calls to third party companies. I live by the slogan: Don’t call AAA if you need help this week. A fair amount of them are known in the industry as the lowest common dominator. They tell everyone one hour eta because that’s their AAA required response. Even in metro Atlanta the typical response time is 3-5 hours.

Also another dirty secret is AAA doesn’t tow bikes. More than likely the guy felt bad for you and went ahead and towed you. He would have been within his rights to not tow you.

[EDIT] I’ve been directed the the *NEW* corner of the AAA site where you can purchase motorcycle roadside STARTING AT $35.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A good tool kit, real tools, not multi tools and gimmicks will go a long way. The first time I had a non repairable flat on my ST was because of a large slice from a piece of sheet metal.
As you, no signal, no traffic, loosing light etc.
Once you get past the fear of being broke down, things will begin to fall into place.
I used ride on in both tires, carry a stop and go plug kit, and have enough tools to handle tire repairs etc.
Motion pro bead pro, are two tire irons designed to be used as spoons, but more importantly, to brake the bead of the tires etc.
The rear tire can be removed with a 5mm Allen key (pad hanger pin and rear fender) 14mm wrench/socket (stopper plug) 27mm wrench/socket (axle nut) 8mm Allen key (end of axle)
A rag, jacket, or something soft can be used to rest the tire on.
The bead pro’s can break the bead, then be used to lift the bead on one side of the tire, which will allow you to insert an inner tube,into the carcass, and a dirt bike rubber valve stem grommet will protect the valve stem long enough to get somewhere safe.
I always carry a tube that will fit the front tire on all my bikes (dirt bike trick) as it can be stuffed in the smaller diameter rear tires etc.
Also good idea to carry a travel container of dish soap or tire paste.
I always ride or dive solo, so I have accepted the risks and learned to prepare for most problems.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I have only plugged my trailer tire for myself and one other with gummy worms and glue on the road. The trailer tire worked great the other one continued to leak but was fillable and we limped along after the repair to some extent. It was possible the hole was too big for the plug or was made too big by the abrasion tool, be careful. A small inflator is handy, but time consuming. The CO2 one I have for my pedal bike will fill a motorcycle tire, but you need many cartridges (faster, but as pointed out by someone else already, suggestion of 5 or 6). You may need a compressor to top it up for pressure. The Slime model I have takes forever and does overheat if you run it too long (take breaks). Both take up little room in saddlebag.

Byron

STOC #
Hi, on my last solo ride, the ST got a nonrepairable flat rear tire. This was in the mountains where due to the heat, I do most of my summer riding. There is no cell service. It's about 12:00pm.
So happened I was stopped at a defunct restaurant when the tire went flat. The pay phone is out of order. There was a group of three motorcyclist hanging out and they offered to call AAA when they got to the next town after a second planned stop. After about an hour and a half, they took off for their next stop. (Very nice, but I know I would have cut my stop short to make the call sooner than later.:confused:) While waiting for AAA to show, another rider on a new BMW stopped. He waited with me for over two hours. While he waited with me, we flagged down a forest service worker. She drove me to a remote fire station where I used their phone to call AAA. All is good. Per AAA, the tow truck would be there by 3:30, less than an hour. Perfect! During the wait, several cars stopped (one was going to make follow-up calls to AAA) and graciously offered food and water (of which I had some). About 5:30pm, another group of bikes show up and as still no truck, 'Darrin', offers to call my friend to come pick me up if I'm not home by 9:00pm. He also asks that I call him if I get towed or my friend picks me up. He stated if he doesn't hear from me, he's going to come looking for me. WOW! :thumb: Tow truck shows up about 7pm, we carefully load the bike and we're in front of the house about 8:30pm.
On the way home, I call Darrin and my friend that the bike and I are on the way home.
My question after all this, how do others handle breakdowns? I know the obvious answer is to only ride where there is cell coverage (not possible) and to only ride with a friend(s) (possible).
Oh yea, don't break down!;)
It was a bit unnerving (ok, I was frazzled) having to rely on the kindness of strangers (and not knowing if the other calls to AAA were actually made) to get home. Due to where I was stopped, I was never in any real danger, but as dusk approached I was thinking I might be spending the night. :eek: You begin to wonder if AAA dropped the ball?:well1:

IMG_5550.JPG
It wasn't until I saw the photo that I realized where you were when you broke down. It's sad to know that Newcomb's Ranch has closed and up for sale. When I was living in California I used to ride there all the time. Half way between Pasadena and Wrightwood is in the middle of nowhere. I had a cell phone when I rode but like you indicated, there are places that we ride that don't have cell phone coverage. When I took a fall back in 2009 down in San Diego County there was no cell phone coverage either. Because of that I purchased an epirb. I figured that if it became a life threatening experience it might be nice to have some way of contacting emergency personnel.

Many good experiences on Highway 2, wishing you many more.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I think MY biggest problem was I did not have a mental plan to follow. During the situation is not the best time to come up with a plan.
With respect, I disagree. I've been in some crazy places and crazier situations. Sometimes thinking on your feet is necessary. The saying "get comfortable being uncomfortable" comes to mind.

You can plan everything to the nth degree, communicate the plan with loved ones, and then the second you're 3 mins late for the next checkpoint, they're firing signal flares & rallying the cavalry... because you stopped for a leak at the side of the road.

Stuff happens.
And that's when the REAL adventure begins.
This.

Despite being in the UK, it's possible to go places that don't have signal. I mean, I don't get any at my own house, but at least I have my own tools. Within the UK, I've had to ditch my car and walk 11miles home. Not in the UK, I've broken down in places where it's a 2 day hike to find someone that can lend you a donkey, and then the local wildlife will just try to eat the damn donkey before you find a mechanic.

If I'm just commuting, I have a basic tool kit. Anything more adventurous and I tend to take things like my gas powered soldering iron as well. I've been known to ride on a completely flat rear tyre. I've ridden in snow so thick that I couldn't see the speedo on the bike I was riding. I also have breakdown cover that will come to me if I'm even just a passenger, anywhere in Europe. But sometimes, it's probably going to get me out of a situation faster if I just abandon the vehicle & walk, I can always come back for it.

The best planning you can do for any trip, is to learn how to think like a bush mechanic.

I'm yet to come across a problem that doesn't have a solution. The solution might not be pretty, it might not be optimal, but it'll do. Sounds to me like OP found a solution, had done some prep work before the trip, was carrying some tools... and just got unlucky. That happens to all of us.

Top Bottom