She Looks Familiar

Bike
2003 ST1300
Although not a bike I'd own, I liked the styling.
At least I didn't have to hear about how electrics were great!
It looked like a worked over ST with half the engine - but the design of it's engine is pretty darn cool.
Now I have to figure a way to incorporate automatic air brakes on my ST !!
Kinda reminds me of Travis Pastrana's racing car with active aero.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Bike looks fine to me. If Honda built it, I might have been interested, but after having ridden multiple Guzzi's (750 Breva, 1100 Griso, 750 V7 Special, 850 Eldorado) I can tell you I am just not Guzzi material. Too quirky for me. I am not a fan of Euro bikes in general. 4 times I have thought about buying BMW's but test rides always convinced me to stay on Japanese bikes.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Guzzi's can be an acquired taste. I think the old 70's and 80' were definitely quirky but I have seen some of those old bikes with hundreds of thousand of miles on them with little or no work done to them. The new bikes are built a lot differently than the old with modern electrical systems and are much more Japanese like in the fit and finish, with many having the same eco and fuel injection components as the Japanese as well as the same ABS component etc. A lot of the European built bikes and cars are quite a step above of what they were a while back. I bought my wife a new Volvo XC40 R-Design car about three years ago. When I first looked at this car I said it looked like it was built in Japan. So far after three years we have not done anything to it at all except for oil changes - I have not found a single defect in anything. The paint is probably the best I have ever seen on a production car. Knock on wood. I'm not ready to go to a BMW yet though I am sure they are fine machines. I am happy with my Africa Twin DCT so far after almost three years of ownership. The only thing I don't like about it is that most Japanese bikes require so many things to be removed just to do minor maintenance. Checking the valves and changing the plugs on an Africa Twin can take you 8 plus hours - luckily it does not need it done often. The Japanese manufacturers could take some tips from many of the European companies as far as maintenance access.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here is another closer picture of the bags. They are a lot larger than you would think. The styling of the bags makes them look smaller from a side view.
I thought there's more to the bags than the first pic showed. I'd be hesitant to buy a bike with no top box and skinny saddle bags.

But everything after the end of the header pipe is ugly. That M-G isn't the first bike to offer a muffler that's a styling disaster. I'd want to saw-all the muffler and stick on some MFb (Made For Boomers) reverse cone megs with a gentle upsweep.

I also like the green and would want the whole bike to be green and not two-tone.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
It's a beautiful bike - It has factory luggage. I would love to ride it to see what it is like. The engine is completely new and looks very well designed. It is liquid cooled as well but they have hidden it well. 115 hp I believe. An adventure version is coming by the end of the year using this engine it is reported by those in the know.
I called MG. Looking spring of 2023. Maybe? have V85 tt sitting on showroom floors.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Just curious as I have never owned a Guzzi - how do you describe 'quirky' as I have seen that used several times by owners.
Like the old Brit bikes - Zener diode, Lucas electrics type quirky?
I got 2003 Moto Guzzi EV 1100 California for sale Uncle Phil. If you're interested?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just curious as I have never owned a Guzzi - how do you describe 'quirky' as I have seen that used several times by owners.
Like the old Brit bikes - Zener diode, Lucas electrics type quirky?
I'm far from an expert, but I'll try to answer this. First there is the styling with those two big cylinders - errr handwarmers - hanging out in front of your knees. The handling on the older bikes was not great - it tends more towards straight line stability as contrasted to the ST's willingness to carve through turns. There is the bikes reaction to revving, it has that heavy longitudinal crank. Mechanically, Guzzi's have had dry clutches, and the Convert had a hydraulic torque converter that made it an early bike with an automatic transmission. Back in the 80's, Dr. John Wittner, successfully applied standard Detroit techniques to increase the h.p. of Guzzis and raced them. Electrically, they are similar to old BMW's and under powered compared to newer touring bikes. I remember back in the '70's Moto Guzzi was considered the ne plus ultra touring bike because they would easily go 200,000 miles, were reliable and easy to service. This was before Honda and the Japanese redefined the market.

I last rode a new Moto Guzzi about 6 years ago at a dealer's demo at a NY rally. I was still on my ST at the time, and I was underwhelmed by the handling, acceleration, and overall feel of the bike. The handlebar controls were not in the 'standard' positions and needed a learning curve to get used to them. Some were downright akward to use. If I were to characterize my 1300 as a modern bike with very good handling, I'd call the Guzzis I've been on as old technology trucks. That's only my personal take, based on a very limited exposure (i.e. riding the bikes) the the brand. My SP1000 was, I thought, a very uncomfortable ride for any distance (it was an '84).

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I can't afford them, and unfortunately old enough that I'm unsure I'd be able to ride either safely.....

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I also like the green and would want the whole bike to be green and not two-tone.
Actually I think it's a 3 tone not the 2 tone. I think the back fender is a flat black. The 2 or 3 color paint job seems to be another Guzzi traits I don't care for. I would have to ride the brand new bike to a paint shop. :shrug2: I call them left over paint jobs. They've been doing that for the last 25 years.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Actually I think it's a 3 tone not the 2 tone. I think the back fender is a flat black.
I'd call that a distinction without a difference but point taken. Many bikes of "one color" have a lot of black or flat/matte black bits and they're not often called "red and black" or "blue and black" or "black and chrome" etc. Several brands/models have more black than anything even if the color is NTSC R/G/B. The tank and maybe side covers might be all the color on the whole bike.

Had I infinite space and cubic $$ I'd ride most bikes to a great paint shop and say "Arctic White" or "Pearl White please". And "30 coats of clear". :D

Top Bottom