Single LED voltmeter

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have the single LED gauge on my 1100; came with it. I like it and it seems to work as advertised. Not sure what the PO paid for it, but $30 seems a bit STeep! But if you are looking for a "small footprint" solution, that would be your answer.

It did let me know when my ol 28amp alternator died; allowed me to get home OK.

Edit: I believe this is the one that I have: http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=56&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77 About the same price.

Last edited:
I checked out some of the sites.....$40.49 !!! OMG!
Build your own for a few pennies. Use 4 resistors, 4 Zener’s, 4 LED's of different colors, and a 100uf cap to clean things up. There are multiple sites which contain circuit schematics. Really, it's ultra-simple and will take anyone 5 minutes to build.
PS... My 2c is to forget your local mall RS. Purchase your stuff from electronic warehouses. You’ll get enough parts for $3.00 to supply everyone in the neighborhood with a voltmeter.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
There are several meters listed on the page the OP linked to. I believe he was referring to the Signal Dynamics single led priced at $28 (middle of the page)...

-STeve

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Use 4 resistors, 4 Zener’s, 4 LED's of different colors, and a 100uf cap to clean things up.
Or cut it down to a 3 step voltmeter display, (3 zener's, 3 resistors,, 1 cap) and use an RGB diode. Red for bad, yellow for caution, white for all is hunky dorey. Use a small 2k pot for a cheapie dimmer.

Adding in the flashing could be done with an 555 circuit, but KISS might prevent that.

T

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
I checked out some of the sites.....$40.49 !!! OMG!
Build your own for a few pennies. Use 4 resistors, 4 Zener’s, 4 LED's of different colors, and a 100uf cap to clean things up. There are multiple sites which contain circuit schematics. Really, it's ultra-simple and will take anyone 5 minutes to build.
PS... My 2c is to forget your local mall RS. Purchase your stuff from electronic warehouses. You’ll get enough parts for $3.00 to supply everyone in the neighborhood with a voltmeter.
Links please... Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use an LED that glows green at 14 volts, Orange at 12 - 14 volts & red below 12 volts. Mounted at the right mirror. Quick glance and I know I'm good.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I prefer a meter with a numerical readout rather than "idiot" lights.

Datel seems to be the standard but they're expensive. ($50!) Datel link

I found something similar at Wall Mart for about 1/2 the price.

OP
OP
Craig Miller
The voltmeter I ordered is from electricalconnections.com. Part number 04101. $35 with shipping. They are in Knoxville, TN. I will give a report after I receive and install the unit. Motorcycle Consumer News gave it a good review. I am not confident enough to build my own. Thanks for all the good feedback so far.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Being an engineer and a technical type of person I would prefer the digital read-out. Not an approximate or an idiot light. But once you really analyze what you are measuring you have to realize that.0.1 accuracy is not really necessary.

My analytical side hates to admit it ... but sometimes colored lights mean more then accurate numbers.

Bike
2006 Black ST13
I had a Signal Dynamics one on my old Vstar. It was great, but too bright at night. I painted over most of it with dots of black paint to cut the glare.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had a Signal Dynamics one on my old Vstar. It was great, but too bright at night. I painted over most of it with dots of black paint to cut the glare.
Well I don't have one to reverse engineer, but most low level lee's can be dimmed with a simple variable resistor. It's not optimal, but functional.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
My previous post was for a multi LED readout. The Thread indicates "Single"
As T_C made note ... you can just take out one resistor, and zener ", and all the LED's and replace it with "one" RGB as an option.

Top Bottom