Single LED voltmeter

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
As T_C made note ... you can just take out one resistor, and zener ", and all the LED's and replace it with "one" RGB as an option.
No.. not quite what I said. But a good paraphrase! :)

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Hmmm... I like this. I just might have to do a farkle this weekend... put it in the dash with a low profile led mount... get a stencil of the battery symbol...

No guarantees and this is all opinion subject to interpretation...

Last edited:
T_C

Nice job! Thanks for cleaning up. If you're ever in Ithaca, NY please look me up. I'll show you around Cornell Univ. Advanced Research Labs

PS I'm about to bread board this bad boy..... Happy 4th

Peter,

Back at you! I'll see you for tonight’s ride.

PS Start learning to speak the Canadian Language. You'll need it for your upcoming RTE at the Pines.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm thinking in the dash, around the bottom of the tach.

Is there any room in the right hand indicator group for another led?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'll probably update this once or twice more... just ask Dave.. I keep tinkering...

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Dang.. I knew I forgot something.

Enjoy.. with BBQ and then with some pie!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Craig Miller
I have ridden with the single LED voltmeter a couple of times now. I like the quick visual feedback. Shines green, I know all is good to go. I installed the LED out through the right side vent that is above the speaker grill. Tapped into the back of the 12 volt socket wires i have mounted in the right side storage compartment. A little dab of black high temperature gasket goo holds the LED in place. Green is bright enough during the day, and not too bright at night. YMMV.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Good to hear yours is working. My designs had a flaw due to some mis-understood electronic theory on my part. But my home-brew will be back and better then ever.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Reviving an ancient thread! I designed a voltage detector many years ago and fitted it on two bikes, but never got round to fitting one on the 1100! :rolleyes:
The Red/Yellow/Green LED seems to get criticised in comparison to a Datel or analogue meter, but it always worked ok for me.

1588056845931.png
...Using a single tri-colour Green/Red LED with a 1458 dual op-amp, the LEDs when combined, makes a third Amber/Yellow colour. OP1 & 2 compares the voltage at point c against the fixed voltages at a and b, lighting LED1, LED2, or both, depending on the voltage at d. Adjust P1 to set the device to just show Amber/Yellow at the low volt/OK volt threshold.
Low volts = Red (<12.6v), OK volts = Amber/Yellow (12.6v>13.8v), and Green(>13.8v).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Reviving an ancient thread! I designed a voltage detector many years ago and fitted it on two bikes, but never got round to fitting one on the 1100! :rolleyes:
The Red/Yellow/Green LED seems to get criticised in comparison to a Datel or analogue meter, but it always worked ok for me.

1588056845931.png
...Using a single tri-colour Green/Red LED with a 1458 dual op-amp, the LEDs when combined, makes a third Amber/Yellow colour. OP1 & 2 compares the voltage at point c against the fixed voltages at a and b, lighting LED1, LED2, or both, depending on the voltage at d. Adjust P1 to set the device to just show Amber/Yellow at the low volt/OK volt threshold.
Low volts = Red (<12.6v), OK volts = Amber/Yellow (12.6v>13.8v), and Green(>13.8v).
I like it!

If you wanted to swap the amber and green functions, so you had amber at max voltage, and green in the middle voltage range, could you simply invert the output of op-amp 1?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a vid of a single LED voltage monitor that's been around for a very long time. The vendor's website is acting a little wonky but it may be my browser's configuration.

The Eclipse is auto-dimming. The Monsoon is not. I don't know if the vendor is still making them.

I think two of the reasons a digital VM is preferred over the single LED is the association of "idiot lights" and that few people agree on what voltage ranges/cutoffs a given color should represent. This particular DM has a variety of colors and blink/non-blink modes that can be used for more granularity but you only need two for GOOD and UH-OH.

I like the idea of both types of monitors. I've just never found a place that puts the meter close to line of sight and looks like it belongs there. It should also visible is most daytime lighting conditions. A 3D "nacelle" and digital volt meter that fit under the top lip of the dash would be great.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The Eclipse is auto-dimming. The Monsoon is not. I don't know if the vendor is still making them.
Any idea how to translate their pricing?

Prices:
Monsoon10 - £13.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)
Monsoon8 - £13.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)
Monsoon5 - £14.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)

Eclipse10 - £15.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)
Eclipse8 - £15.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)
Eclipse5 - £16.00(GBP) / $INF(USD) / €NAN(EUR) / $NAN(AUD)

Top Bottom