Sold ST purchased K1600GT

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I still own my 2007 ST1300. But I have a 2016 R1200RS and a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCX in the garage also. They would not be in my garage if Honda would build a bike I wanted. 95,000 trouble free miles out of my ST. But it is so far behind what my newer bikes have to offer. I don’t regret buying either one of them. My poor DR650 does not get much attention at all anymore.
All of them have been good to me. Don’t be afraid of change.
The more I ride my BMW, the more I like it. My Triumph is still my favorite bike though. But I enjoy all of them for different reasons.
I think we need to have KeithSTOC and ride all of Keith's bikes! ;)

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Congratulations on your new K1600!
All that horsepower and torque really eats up rear tires so expect to change out your rear every 8K miles.

I have had the following failures that have all been replaced under warranty:
- Starter Sprague Clutch
I know it goes against the grain but have folks done Darkside on the GT?
I've never even heard of a Starter Sprague Clutch. Googling it says (copy/paste)...a sprag clutch is used in some automatic transmissions as a method of allowing the transmission to smoothly change gears under load.

Skip

Bike
2000 ST1100
After dismissing the ST1800 or Goldwing standard as a "fake" replacement sport tourer I am looking at an FJR 1300 or RT1250 Bmw. You guys know as an old school I am not enamored with all the "crap" they are putting on these motorcycles. I don't care about blue tooth or internet on my ride. Electric windshield a waste cause once its set why move it. Electronic suspension same thing once set I forget it. Linked brakes/ antilock never had them so I don't miss em. What I want is more of like the 2000 ST1100 that I now own. A good Honest motorcycle that gets the job done with no muss or fuss. Unfortunely they don't make them Old school like they use to. Wonder if I get a new RT1250 can I order it plain without the crap. I have heard that BMW only ships them loaded.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
After dismissing the ST1800 or Goldwing standard as a "fake" replacement sport tourer I am looking at an FJR 1300 or RT1250 Bmw. You guys know as an old school I am not enamored with all the "crap" they are putting on these motorcycles. I don't care about blue tooth or internet on my ride. Electric windshield a waste cause once its set why move it. Electronic suspension same thing once set I forget it. Linked brakes/ antilock never had them so I don't miss em. What I want is more of like the 2000 ST1100 that I now own. A good Honest motorcycle that gets the job done with no muss or fuss. Unfortunely they don't make them Old school like they use to. Wonder if I get a new RT1250 can I order it plain without the crap. I have heard that BMW only ships them loaded.
I switched from the ST to the FJR earlier this year. Yes, the FJR comes with some fuss, but you may actually end up linking some of it...;) Windshield adjustments come in handy during rain or hot summer days. I set my suspension to Soft in town (horrible roads) and switch to Standard once I hit the freeway - it actually makes a difference. Cruise Control is really nice if you are doing long distance. Heated grips a must where I live really. All the information in the trip computer - not a life saver, but still nice to be reminded of an upcoming Oil Change - and I still smile a little when it says "See you next time" whenever I turn the ignition off. As far as linked brakes, LED lights, cornering lights, etc. - those are safety features that you may not miss, but they may prevent you from ending up in the statistics...which is a good thing if you ask me...:cool:

Bike
VStrom 650
Red One you are not alone. Manufactures no longer care too much about the long term. They want you to buy new, keep it for three years and then buy another one. Usually on a PCP hand back deal. Paying them interest for the privalidge of course. Read somewhere recently that on a 3 year PCP for a 1200GS, including servicing costs was North of £12000.00 / $15000.00. Don't know if you have PCP, it's where you don't own the vehicle unless you buy it at the end. And why would you want to own a older techy vehicle anyway, one damaged ecu and the vehicles effectively a write off. PUT IT DOWN TO PROGRESS.
Good luck with your hunt because it doesn't exist, or does it.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Red One, I hope you're sitting down, the basic 2018 GW in the UK would cost you £17000 over 3 years. For that you can ride 6000 miles a year and give it back to Big Red at the end. Either that or pay another £13000 to own it. This doesn't include any servicing costs.
The posh GW would be another 5 big ones.
So to buy the posh GW this way would be in excess of £35000.00. :doh1:.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I also struggled initially with fueling my new FJR...it has sort of a small tube/ring which is annoying. The ST is so darn easy to fill up, and I don't understand why you want to complicate it by adding all sorts of obstructions. Anyway - I have gotten somewhat used to it by now (after 9 months), but it still takes me longer to add 6 gallons into the FJR than it did filling up the ST. I really like the fact that the FJR takes regular and is about 6% more fuel efficient compared to my old ST...
I know a guy who has a 2015 BMW GT 1600. He just ordered a 2019 because it has all the new improvements. He told me the greatest thing about his bike is that 6 cylinder smooth bore engine. No one faults you for defecting.....serves Honda right for not listening to us while we begged for a new Honda sport tourer. Heck I might be joining you soon as my choices are limited....anyway Congradulations.
I think Honda just didn't have enough volume in the ST to redesign. What I'm not aware of is if the engine could have maintained emisson compliance in US and Europe. I also think Honda was afraid that it may have competed with their flagship Goldwing. BMW offer to touring models the 1200RT and the 1600GT/GTL. They are very similiar in options with the engine being the obvious difference. They seem to market both well so I'm really not sure why Honda thru the towel in on the ST. I would have bought another one in a heartbeat if they would have done a simple few refreshes on the bike. Yamaha has done a nice job with their FJR. I've always said Honda is an overlly cautious company when it comes to their designs and offerings.

Bike
2000 ST1100
FL- Strider, To be Honest Honda has had quite a few stumbles. Just look up bikes on their website. Do you see anything that excites you? Only the Goldwings looked promising. But after a 50 mile test ride it became really clear that these things have to much weight still. Handle bars are to close and no room to move around on as my butt kept hitting the back "cruiser" seats. After I left the dealership on the ride back home I was thinking man now this is how a sport touring bike should handle.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pretty much like the 1993 ST1100 I have now, just add integrated highway pegs, adjustable bars, a dash rail with multiple power ports and a voltage meter, and slightly better fairing coverage for hands/arms. Oh yeah, and a seat design that wasn't used to illicit "confessions" during the Inquisition. DONE. Honda are you listening to us?
Highway Wings, Helibars, a little wiring for the USB stuff, Honda Marine Volt meter in place of Headlight Adjuster, Mirror and Fairing Edge Kit, Russell Daylong and a MCCruise control for grins. Probably way south of $3,000 - A lot cheaper than a new bike and you get to keep the bike you love ... :biggrin: Not that money grows on trees, but if you're dreaming - and you don't have to do all at once! ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100
Red One, I hope you're sitting down, the basic 2018 GW in the UK would cost you £17000 over 3 years. For that you can ride 6000 miles a year and give it back to Big Red at the end. Either that or pay another £13000 to own it. This doesn't include any servicing costs.
The posh GW would be another 5 big ones.
So to buy the posh GW this way would be in excess of £35000.00. :doh1:.
North I believe you. There is a bike magazine that is published in the UK that list bikes for sale. Now I don't know the Euro to Dollars exchange but it seems like its a hell of a lot of money. Also your insurance rates seem insane. I am a cheap skate so I could not afford to live in the UK. Maybe after Brexit

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
North I believe you. There is a bike magazine that is published in the UK that list bikes for sale. Now I don't the Euro to Dollars exchange but it seems like its a hell of a lot of money. Also your insurance rates seem insane. I am a cheap skate so I could not afford to live in the UK. Maybe after Brexit
If I was buying it with $ in the UK instead of £, at about 1.25 $ th the £, that equals................. About $43750 for the posh one.
Now I need a sit down.
I don't think my bike insurance is too bad for the ST11, but you may think its extortionate, I pay about £250.00 per annum for Fully Comprehensive Insurance to cover UK and Europe with a low excess, this also covers breakdowns throughout EU, roadside and recovery to H/A. There is also a generous preset agreed value on the bike in the event of a total loss claim.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
If I was buying it with $ in the UK instead of £, at about 1.25 $ th the £, that equals................. About $43750 for the posh one.
Now I need a sit down.
I don't think my bike insurance is too bad for the ST11, but you may think its extortionate, I pay about £250.00 per annum for Fully Comprehensive Insurance to cover UK and Europe with a low excess, this also covers breakdowns throughout EU, roadside and recovery to H/A. There is also a generous preset agreed value on the bike in the event of a total loss claim.
Upt'North.
Since my bike will be 19 years old and only worth between 1,600 to 2500 US dollars I only carry liability insurance at $50.00 per year. Man those prices where you live take all the fun out of riding. But here in the states there are BMW dealers that have 2018 RT's for 20,000 US Dollars. My local Yamaha dealer had a 2015 FJR new for $11,500.00.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Cost of ownership will merit some more coin such as the 18K maintenance which calls for a valve inspection. A cool Grand is whats normally required. Still remember you only live once and you don't want to be on your last leg lying in a nursing home thinking man I should bought that bike;).
Exactly my feelings - I've worked two jobs most of my life, saved and invested. It was time to open the wallet and live a little. I had my ST 14 years...it was time for a change. However I have some fantastic memories on my ST. What a great bike she was!!!

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Since my bike will be 19 years old and only worth between 1,600 to 2500 US dollars I only carry liability insurance at $50.00 per year. Man those prices where you live take all the fun out of riding. But here in the states there are BMW dealers that have 2018 RT's for 20,000 US Dollars. My local Yamaha dealer had a 2015 FJR new for $11,500.00.
My family immigrated from the UK. They do pay out the nose for just about everything over there. When my family visits us in FL they bring extra cases and load up of just about everything and they happily pay to put their extra case on the plane. It's still cheaper. They also told me the Norway makes the UK look like a bargin, apparently uber expensive there.

Top Bottom