Sold ST purchased K1600GT

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
The GS-911 is a very worthwhile investment. I carry it with me but don't even bother to use it when the Service Reminder light comes on during a long trip. Like Tom, I just ignore the reminder. What I find incredible useful is when the bike issues an Error Warning. With the GS-911 and my phone I can look up the error code and in some instances reset it. I can also record the error and use the information to discuss issues with my BMW Service manager.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Great looking bike, just wish they had a V4 under the gas tank. Wife and I sit on this bike every year at the bike show. Wow, the bike show is in 3 weeks.
Doesn't seem like a "small fortune" to me for someone who just sprung for a $27K motorcycle. You don't need the wifi version. The USB version works fine for $100 less. Use the $100 you saved to buy the factory service DVD. If you want to do your own maintenance on a bike this sophisticated, this tool and a genuine factory service manual on DVD are just the price of entry. It would be different if you had to have a $10,000 computer system connected to the factory's server. I've owned a GS-911 for years and found it to be an incredible value for what it does and what it costs. Turning off the service light is just page one paragraph one of what it can do.

If you want to do old school maintenance, you need an old school motorcycle. Nothing wrong with that, but this ain't that.
Yes I agree it's a modern bike and therefore not old school. While I certainly agree that the GS-911 is a worth while tool I don't agree with needing a diagnostic device to reset a maintenance reminder light. To me that is a bit ridiculous. When my service light displays in my daughter's Civic there is a simple procedure to reset it without any special tools.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
Beautiful bike, lots of techno, how does it compare with the ST as far as ride and handling?
I just bought my 07 ST last year, my first fuel injected bike! I thought it was complex!

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Beautiful bike, lots of techno, how does it compare with the ST as far as ride and handling?
I just bought my 07 ST last year, my first fuel injected bike! I thought it was complex!
The bike is physically bigger and taller. To me it feels much more top heavy coming off the kick stand then the ST. The duo lever front suspension makes the bike feel much different riding then the ST. However the weight totally disappears once your riding. The bike handles exceptionally well and the brakes are partially linked. The front brake actuated front and rear and the rear pedal is just rear.

This bike is tremendously more complicated then an ST. I will continue to do most of my maintenance where I can. The usual stuff, brake pads, brake bleeding, coolant, oil changes etc. The K1600 forum seems to be a good source of info like this site. The ST is a very practical and highly dependable sport touring machine. It is a wonderful motorcycle, one of the best I have ever owned.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
Thanks for the reply, as I said beautiful bike! I hope it turns out to be a beautiful relationship as well!
Drop back by and give us a report now and then!
Let’s Ride!

Top Bottom