Sold The ST Today

Well after 5 great years on the ST1300, I sold it today. I made the move like many others here to the FJR. I got a good deal on a 2014A model back in January. I wanted somehthing lighter
with updated options.

I have been on the various FJR forums for several months. They do not compare to this forum. While I have not posted allot, I read this forum several days a week and I will continue
to do so.

I have definitely benefited from the collective knowledege here. Thanks to all for that.

Don

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
enjoy your new bike . if you can post your thoughts of the ride differences between st and new bike
thanks Karl.....

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
"Another one bites the dust".........,

If I was a wee bit younger and in better condition health wise, I would be joining you on a FJR.

Congrats on a nice bike!

Last edited:

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
Don
Congrats on the new bike. I did the same thing last month. and I agree the FJR forums are not what this one is. enjoy and let the farkling begin

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I thought that was why everyone was going to the FJR, they come with EVERYTHING you would ever want on it? :confused:
Nope, you do EXACTLY the same modifications to the FJR as you would to the ST1300. Windshield, Custom Seat, Handlebar Risers... The list goes on. Everything I had to do to my ST1300 I am having to do to my FJR.

With regards to forum differences, it is hard to say one is "Better" than the other. The amount and quality of information that is always available on any of the forums I subscribe to is the same. What I see are the differences in personality. This forum is very mild, very restrained. The FJR forum is rowdy, unrestrained and quite sarcastic. The information is there and the folks are just as useful and helpful. You just have to get your mind around how to deal with them. I find myself behaving much differently here than I do "over there".

I wish the OP good luck with his new FJR. I don't know how he felt but it was VERY hard for me to say goodbye to my beloved ST1300.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Nope, you do EXACTLY the same modifications to the FJR as you would to the ST1300. Windshield, Custom Seat, Handlebar Risers... The list goes on. Everything I had to do to my ST1300 I am having to do to my FJR.

With regards to forum differences, it is hard to say one is "Better" than the other. The amount and quality of information that is always available on any of the forums I subscribe to is the same. What I see are the differences in personality. This forum is very mild, very restrained. The FJR forum is rowdy, unrestrained and quite sarcastic. The information is there and the folks are just as useful and helpful. You just have to get your mind around how to deal with them. I find myself behaving much differently here than I do "over there".

I wish the OP good luck with his new FJR. I don't know how he felt but it was VERY hard for me to say goodbye to my beloved ST1300.
Number one for this post. Yes it was and is hard to let go of the 2003 ST1300. I need to make a long week or two trip on the FJR before I can fully let go of the ST. After all, 12 years 129k miles was a long time to be "Going Steady" with the old gal. It was just as hard to break up with my 1992 ST1100 after 10 years and 80k miles, for the ST1300. Now the cycle repeats it's self again. Yes..... Time stands still for no one. Best to keep marching forward.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Number one for this post. Yes it was and is hard to let go of the 2003 ST1300. I need to make a long week or two trip on the FJR before I can fully let go of the ST. After all, 12 years 129k miles was a long time to be "Going Steady" with the old gal. It was just as hard to break up with my 1992 ST1100 after 10 years and 80k miles, for the ST1300. Now the cycle repeats it's self again. Yes..... Time stands still for no one. Best to keep marching forward.
Well, I guess I'm in trouble... after almost 10 years and almost 240K miles and the fact I own three of them right now, I doubt if I'll be changing from my ST1300s anytime soon! :D

Kind of like being married for so long, it would cause too many headaches to change! LOL

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Well, I guess I'm in trouble... after almost 10 years and almost 240K miles and the fact I own three of them right now, I doubt if I'll be changing from my ST1300s anytime soon! :D

Kind of like being married for so long, it would cause too many headaches to change! LOL
Yep, 43 years next week with the same woman. Would not give her up for anything. She is the best.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Take the FJ on a long tour and cement your relationship. I did last summer and it was the most fun I'd had on tour. Fast, agile, great technology, and comfortable (mostly). Its light feel, crisp handling and steadiness at any speed and throw in the fact it is thousands less than a ST and you made a wise choice.

I still love my ST, but Honda ignored the bike for its entire run, and thats too bad.

With so many defections from the ST to the new FJR, I look for even more upgrades from Yamaha to put the ST out of its misery. They do have the momentum.

Bike
2010 ST1300

Is that like a sheik with his harem?

OP
OP
idbxs32
Take the FJ on a long tour and cement your relationship. I did last summer and it was the most fun I'd had on tour. Fast, agile, great technology, and comfortable (mostly). Its light feel, crisp handling and steadiness at any speed and throw in the fact it is thousands less than a ST and you made a wise choice.

I still love my ST, but Honda ignored the bike for its entire run, and thats too bad.

With so many defections from the ST to the new FJR, I look for even more upgrades from Yamaha to put the ST out of its misery. They do have the momentum.
Looking forward to the riding season Guy. My longest ride so far is just 80 miles on the way home from the dealer. Winter is holding on here in South Dakota. I appreciate your detailed evaluation of the
FJR. I did read your latest ride report on your web site and it may have influenced me a liitle, just like when I was buying my ST1300. Thanks for a great web site. Don

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
I have a little over 14,000 miles on my 2014A. Solo mostly, it covers state-to-state with not a whimper. Once you get the ergos dialed in for your comfort you are really going to enjoy.

Congratulations!

Dan

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well after 5 great years on the ST1300, I sold it today. I made the move like many others here to the FJR. I got a good deal on a 2014A model back in January. I wanted somehthing lighter
with updated options.

I have been on the various FJR forums for several months. They do not compare to this forum. While I have not posted allot, I read this forum several days a week and I will continue
to do so.

I have definitely benefited from the collective knowledege here. Thanks to all for that.

Don
The way things are going, if all the guys who have gone to FJR's stick around here, this will be first, an integrated forum, and eventulally, all FJR.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
this will be first, an integrated forum, and eventulally, all FJR.
I think you left out the BMW and GoldWing guys, a few Connies, of course the other ST (Super Tenere) and who knows what else....we all ride for the fun of riding...and this is a great riding forum......ride well this season, and ride safe...........ff......BTW, the FJR is a sweet bike.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom