Something's wrong with my side stand?

Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I checked when I get home and found that shocks were still adjusted a little bit firm - 3. Hard to believe, right? :)
And, also, I was holding the bike strait up while my kid was putting side stand and he WAS able to put the stand without touching the ground, but it was about 1/8" - 1/4" from the lowest point to the ground - what I think it's still not enough.

While checking the shock adjuster, I was trying to figure out how to put the side stand down without me sitting on the bike. I couldn't :D.
I'm not clear here. I thought the ST's preload works on clicks and 7 - or roughly half way to tight is the recommended setting. OOPs! You have an 1100 and I'm talking about a 1300. Maybe I should engage my brain before dropping the clutch on my mouth. Sorry....

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If you are not running factory sizes and you are running low profile tires such as a 160/60/17 rear compared to the factory recommendation 160/70/17 you will have just a hair over 1 1/4" height difference. The 160/70/17 being taller.

This will cause much grief when parking the ST1100, especially where there is a slight angle in the parking surface. If you changed the profile of the front as well that will impact this issue too.
Ok. I apologize for wrong tire info:
Tires: Michelin Radial
Front: 110/80 ZR 18
Rear: 160/60 ZR 17

But I'm not sure how it happened because I'm kind of "by the book" guy?!?!?
So, you think, once I change my tires to 160/70 I'll have more "space" to extend the side stand without leaning first to the right? And park easier on the side of the road?

I just remember the scene when I was parking the bike in the front of the restaurant where I had a lunch last weekend. I really needed about 10 minutes to park the bike, couldn't extend the side stand because the part next to the curb was lower than the lane itself. So I was hopping on the bike 2-3 times to change position (next to the curb, opposite to the curb, something between... to the curb) and be sure it's not gonna fall. It was REALLY embarrassing. I looked like BMW rider in front of Starbucks. :D

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
[video]https://youtu.be/mCmgbrAKYmQ[/video]

This is how much space I have when extending the side stand while NOT on the bike.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Well, of course, I wouldn't even THINK about trying to park in a place such as depicted in that picture! So many ways to be asking for trouble. Imagine putting your right foot down on a rounded pebble there, as you lift the bike to raise the side stand, or, as you stop there and put the feet down to balance on that precarious narrow shoulder and you have a momentary loss of balance to the right. Once that 700 pounds is going over, that slope would be a disaster! Also, the bike is hanging right into the lane of traffic!

Choose parking places wisely, where's there's lots of flat paved, or flat gravel, beside the road. Even some city streets have a high crown and in a permitted parking space by the curb, I will often have to turn the bike at least 75 degrees to the road to allow a decent side stand deployment.
I totally agree with you, but is this a good reason to miss great places just because you can't park your bike? And miss an opportunity? And all that because my ST lean "less than many other bikes"? In that case, once at home, or fix it or change the bike. :)

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... The rear shocks were adjusted a bit firmer and pre-load increased a bit from when I bought it, but I really didn't pay attention to what the pre-load was set to before...
I didn't touch it after I bought the bike, so it's the same...

... In the video the tail does look like it's dropping a lot when you climb on. More than it did for me (that I remember). So maybe it is time to service or replace the shocks...
I was watching the video I just uploaded several time and realized the bike is dropping when I just put it in the up right position?!? So, the rear shock is ready for replacement? :(

... The ST1100 does lean less than many other bikes I always thought...
I don't like that! :mad:

... I know a lot of the roads you were on for your trip and there is even less that could be called a shoulder on many sections. No white line even, just a drop off to the right... just where some of the best views are to be found.
And you have to stop, or you'll feel guilty for the rest of the ride and wonder what did you miss? :D

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I went back and watched the first video again. First what size tires do you have on the bike and second the rear shock is shot. When you sit on the bike there is way too much sag and little or no dampening. Even in the second video when you just go to show the side stand there is way too much sag. Making adjustments most likely won't help.

Get a new rear shock especially if you are pulling a trailer. And make sure you are running factory recommended sizes front and rear. 110/80/18 front and 160/70/17 rear.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
So, you think, once I change my tires to 160/70 I'll have more "space" to extend the side stand without leaning first to the right? And park easier on the side of the road?
Yes, definitely. There are many accounts on this forum of using the "incorrect" size and having to lean the bike to the right to put kickstand up.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Houston we have a problem. That's a significant difference in height. You can calculate the approximate difference between that and the proper size tire. 1.25" seems a little much but that would be a big help. Even without changing the shock and spring (the spring is responsible for the static height) you'd at least be able to park with a lot more confidence.

This is not to say that you shouldn't replace the shock and spring. You should. But the tire makes a big difference.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I went back and watched the first video again. First what size tires do you have on the bike and second the rear shock is shot. When you sit on the bike there is way too much sag and little or no dampening. Even in the second video when you just go to show the side stand there is way too much sag. Making adjustments most likely won't help.

Get a new rear shock especially if you are pulling a trailer. And make sure you are running factory recommended sizes front and rear. 110/80/18 front and 160/70/17 rear.
Yup. That's gonna be... New rear shock it is... :(

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?145934-Rear-shock-recomandation

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Houston we have a problem. That's a significant difference in height. You can calculate the approximate difference between that and the proper size tire. 1.25" seems a little much but that would be a big help. Even without changing the shock and spring (the spring is responsible for the static height) you'd at least be able to park with a lot more confidence.

This is not to say that you shouldn't replace the shock and spring. You should. But the tire makes a big difference.
I'll be more careful next time when choosing tires (Pilot are GREAT!, probably will stick with them), but those I have now are kinda new, so the replacement has to wait for about 10K miles. :)
I'm shopping for the rear shock now, it's gone... :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In that case, once at home, or fix it or change the bike.
LOL You've already dealt with the bike's almost nonexistent lean. Just park carefully until you can make the needed repairs.

Smart money if you have enough is to buy a new shock and spring along with a new tire and replace them all at once.

The tire would be the quickest and easiest and cheapest to replace. OTOH a new shock assembly would give you better control and might give you more "elevation" than the right size tire.

Either will be an improvement and any way you slice it you'll be very happy with the angle and the side stand functionality when both are done.

Bike
92 ST1100
Ok. I apologize for wrong tire info:
Tires: Michelin Radial
Front: 110/80 ZR 18

But I'm not sure how it happened because I'm kind of "by the book" guy?!?!?

I just remember the scene when I was parking the bike in the front of the restaurant where I had a lunch last weekend. I really needed about 10 minutes to park the bike, couldn't extend the side stand because the part next to the curb was lower than the lane itself. So I was hopping on the bike 2-3 times to change position (next to the curb, opposite to the curb, something between... to the curb) and be sure it's not gonna fall. It was REALLY embarrassing. I looked like BMW rider in front of Starbucks. :D
Bingo!.....tire size was suspect, but was waiting for other input. Not to say a rear shock replacement may be in need of replacement, but the tire size on there IS substantually shorter to cause your dielemma;).

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
If it helps you compare, below is a photo of my ST 1100 parked at the side of the road in Spain a few weeks ago. This bike has over 100,000 miles on it, but the rear shock only has about 40,000 miles on it, and the entire front suspension and anti-dive assemblies were rebuilt from scratch (to stock specifications, using stock parts) by my dealer this past winter. Tires are Michelin Z6 in OEM specified sizes. The rear shock is set up for 200 pounds total payload (160 pound rider and 40 pounds cargo in the panniers).

As you can see, the bike has quite a bit of lean to the left when the side-stand is down. I can easily put the side-stand down when the bike is vertical, even when sitting on the bike.

FWIW, the rebuild of the front suspension made a huge difference. The original metal parts remain, but everything was torn down, cleaned, and all the rubber replaced. The bike now rides much nicer, anti-dive works perfectly once again, and the front suspension soaks up bumps nicely.

Michael

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Good choice of tires Michael! ;) I think I suggested them to Afan in his earlier quest for tires, since they come in the proper sizes.

Off topic - How do you manage to ride Europe with an Ontario plate?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Mine leans the same as Michael's. And yes, at 178K I have wear in the sidestand pivot.

I noticed the roadsign in the picture. Pretty cool! What's it pointing out, anyway...?

John
via iPhone 6

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...How do you manage to ride Europe with an Ontario plate?
Believe me, it's not easy, you have to wait until it is really, really cold in the middle of January, when the ocean is frozen up, then ride across the Davis Strait from Baffin Island to Greenland, and then continue eastbound on the ice pack until you reach Northern Norway. I honestly wouldn't recommend it, next time I'll just ship it over by air. :D

I noticed the roadsign in the picture. Pretty cool! What's it pointing out, anyway...?
Hi John - there's a discussion about that exact sign in the 'Laughing STOC' section of the forum - here's the link: The Spanish Government named a roadside viewpoint in my honour...

Michael

Top Bottom