Something's wrong with my side stand?

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Yeah, I had to read through to make sure what size tire you had when you said "By The Book" and I see Michi tires that don't come in the size needed. I used the 150/70 PR3 when I ran them. Taller by a bit than the 170/60, and the Two Tone STeed doesn't fit the 170 tire as well as the Black does (it has a 170/60 on its way) Also, the stands wear and when they do, it hangs lower because of the spring. The Black's got so worn that dropping off the center stand would remove the spring! I'd drop the bike to leave and the sidestand would drop and kill the engine. I had to braze the frame bracket and stand with silver brazing rod some (t'was before I had any welders), grind things to fit, grease things like they should have been (I think I was the first person ever to lube the thing when I bought it) and it has been fine. So get closer to the right size tire and check the stand and frame tab for wear, you should be back to normal.

Bike
92 ST1100
Houston we have a problem. That's a significant difference in height. You can calculate the approximate difference between that and the proper size tire. 1.25" seems a little much but that would be a big help. Even without changing the shock and spring (the spring is responsible for the static height) you'd at least be able to park with a lot more confidence.

This is not to say that you shouldn't replace the shock and spring. You should. But the tire makes a big difference.
+1!........and the pivot point being the awing-arm, the stand mount AHEAD of that..........sorry, but gaining enough 'lift' just from shock replacement is likely not happenin'........least not to the point you might be expecting;). Best option is CORRECT tire size:).

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Believe me, it's not easy, you have to wait until it is really, really cold in the middle of January, when the ocean is frozen up, then ride across the Davis Strait from Baffin Island to Greenland, and then continue eastbound on the ice pack until you reach Northern Norway. I honestly wouldn't recommend it, next time I'll just ship it over by air. :D
LOL! That figures... :lol:

BTW: wouldn't a worn side-stand pivot not actually increase the leaning angle due the now wiggling joint allowing the leg to tilt up "higher" under the bike's weight??

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
.... BTW: wouldn't a worn side-stand pivot not actually increase the leaning angle due the now wiggling joint allowing the leg to tilt up "higher" under the bike's weight??
Yes, Martin, the ST will lean further with a worn sidestand. It will also bang the muffler shield when you retract it. And the center stand can catch the sidestand spring when it's deployed.

John

Top Bottom